Zero Tolerance for Alcohol while driving?

I've heard nothing about this but I know for sure I wouldn't trust the accuracy of any machine used at the roadside in Thailand.

I guess they will also offer the blood test option down at the station if you demand it.

I have to agree with you and this is from experience.

Have a cop friend, well as "friends" as one can be.

Out with him, lawyer and few female companions.

All wasted,i know i had at least 1/2 a bottle of whisky in about 2 hours.

Before going home, asked cop friend to check me and to my surprise it showed the limit. 0.50(or whatever it should be 0.05)

There is no way in hell, i could have been within limit after half a bottle in such a short space, but this is the machines they use.

Are you suggesting high or low? Sounds like it was low, in your favor to me..

I had to be way over the limit, ie yes showing low in my favour .

But as I said, i do not believe it was physically possible to be within the limit after drinking half a bottle of whisky in under 2 hours.

The crackdown is first and foremost about putting money in the pockets of the police and number two providing face to the govt to make it look like they are actually cracking down on drunk drivers. And you can bet that no farang will ever get off with a 500 baht fine like the Thai mentioned earlier in a post. I heard most can't buy their way out and one who did paid 10k. There is good money in the bail of 20k because they generally don't return it. Here is a tip if anyone is unfortunate enough to get stopped: Bail can be provided by any govt employee simply by signing for you no money needs to be provided. So if you know any govt employees call them to post your bail. Don't let the police scam your bail money. Good luck. Best not to drink and drive.

Nah. Actually, while I would never drink and drive, whenever I've been caught for other "offenses", mainly speeding or driving at night on red plates when my car was brand new, I was always able to talk my way out of a fine, whether I was driving a Thai or Lao registered car. Many Thais would just hand a couple of hundred Baht to an officer, but for me, a bit of back and forth pleasant chatting gets me off nearly every time.

So I would say it doesn't matter if you're Thai or western, either you can still get off with a relatively mediocre fine, or you can't.