What Internet connection is this?

Cloggie

Yep, a directional antenna, the device itself appears to be a generic combo Router/Radio/Directional-Antenna

Could be picking up a distant WiFi HotSpot, or connecting to a similar unit in the distance in a Point-to-Point Link.

The type of device being used here doesn't immediately say what ISP your friend is using, but I bet his bill does.

It looks like that device is pointed towards the inside of the building, rather than towards a tower, which might be providing TOT WiNET service?

(It doesn't look like it is grounded? See the installation video.)

It does look like it is some sort of premises-based WiFi access (5 GHz/802.11 a/n) technology/service.

The antenna does look like the current model TOT is using for WiNET, and for their WiFi CITY service.

http://routerboard.com/RBSXT5HPnDr2

"...can be used for point to point links or as a CPE for point to multipoint installations."

Great - thanks for all the info.

I only think it is 1600mW = milliwatt not 1600MW = Megawatt whistling.gif

Hey, you configure it the way you want, and I'll configure it the way I want. blink.png

Sorry, finger must have slipped when I was doing a cut/paste and re-aligning the text from one of the Thai supplier websites.

I'm usually pretty aware of the UC/lc difference.

I think he told me installation cost THB 2.000 and monthly cost THB 699 - from TOT

He can look streaming video from Europe and as long as they do NOT build a new condo between his condo and the tower a few miles away, it will keep on working!