south east asia has had its day

keetoot

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmmmm...You mean the illusion is now gone and the reality of life and living in Thailand has finally set in?

You mean all the problems that you used to ignore or could afford to ignore can not be so easily ignored, all too often, and now many issues bother you...all too often..

You mean you have finally realized that Thai people do not know the meaning of life anymore so than the rest of the people in the world while at one time you actually thought they did ..by way of their "Thai Ways" and "Thai Culture" ...that once captivated and intrigued you and drew you into believing Thailand is the better place to be while you actually argued that Thailand is better than the West...or at least where ever it is that you originally came from.

After all these years you have come to realize that Thailand is not going to be same as it was before while Thailand is also caught up in this thing known as development and evolution...but that means the prices and costs of everything will also go up ........so cheap women and cheap beer and cheap living and cheap partying and the good ole days are gone forever.... while remorse and longing for those times gone past is on your mind all the time and plays on your conscience.

You have finally concluded that finding true love or any thing remotely like real love in Thailand is not really possible ...at least not the way you had always envisioned.

You have finally come to realize that you will always be a stranger in a strange place no matter how long you live here you will always feel like your living on the fringes of Thai society while finding it difficult to develop deep and genuine friendships with Thai people or even other foreigners for that matter.

You have finally come to the conclusion that maybe you were somewhat too hasty in your rejection of the West for all that you loathe or used to loathe about where ever it is you came from while now you have a comparison and finally realize that Thailand can accommodate you but Thailand can never really sooth your soul and the need for the answers that you seek.

Finally you are thinking that Asia has had its day while really it is time for you to re-think what it is you are hoping for or expecting here while living here in Thailand and whether you can be content enough living here knowing you are not ever going to find all that you were looking for ...here in Thailand.

Cheers

More nonsense from a master of uttertosh and rubbish.

"south east asia has had it's day"? Don't think so. We are hardly 15 years into "The Asian Century". It is poorly dressed men on bar stools with tattoos and facial hair looking for cheap thrills and a 99 baht brekkie who have had their day.

Edited by arunsakda

Bye

Cannot remember when 500 euro note was worth 25000 baht?

Or a 100 aussie dollar was worth 3300 baht?

Or a hundred pound was worth 7000 baht?

Or a chang 25 baht a can?

I can, 1996 ish "Or a hundred pound was worth 7000 baht?" which was quite handy when paying somsit (or however its spelt!) and building the house. Yes we are still married :-) and I am looking forward to retiring to it in 3-4 years...

Sorry but your wrong, 1996 the Thai baht was still strong. It was about 25B to the USD and if I recall correctly is was about 36-37B to GBP. This is when the govt still set the exchange rate. The Govt didn't start to float the baht until 1997 when the crisis happened, which then it really lost it's value. Late 1997 was great, the exchange rates were up to mid to high 40's and reached a peak of 51 to the USD. The hotels, resturants etc didnt start to raise their prices yet, everything was so cheap I was having a great time!

As for SouthEast Asia having had it's day, no I think there is allot more to come. Cambodia and Vietnam are starting to become places to visit and Myamar is now opening up. I'm sure Thailand will keep doing good too. The tourists just keep coming. I recall back early 90's Pattaya was small and nothing compared to what it is today, anywhere outside of Bangkok or Pattaya or other tourist areas you would hardly ever see an expat. Issan you would get stared at as most of the people there never seen a white guy, now days Thailand is flooded with tourists and it just keeps increasing each year. I think it will be a long time before SouthEast Asia has been a thing of the past.

Bye

Cannot remember when 500 euro note was worth 25000 baht?

Or a 100 aussie dollar was worth 3300 baht?

Or a hundred pound was worth 7000 baht?

Or a chang 25 baht a can?

I can, 1996 ish "Or a hundred pound was worth 7000 baht?" which was quite handy when paying somsit (or however its spelt!) and building the house. Yes we are still married :-) and I am looking forward to retiring to it in 3-4 years...

Sorry but your wrong, 1996 the Thai baht was still strong. It was about 25B to the USD and if I recall correctly is was about 36-37B to GBP. This is when the govt still set the exchange rate. The Govt didn't start to float the baht until 1997 when the crisis happened, which then it really lost it's value. Late 1997 was great, the exchange rates were up to mid to high 40's and reached a peak of 51 to the USD. The hotels, resturants etc didnt start to raise their prices yet, everything was so cheap I was having a great time!

As for SouthEast Asia having had it's day, no I think there is allot more to come. Cambodia and Vietnam are starting to become places to visit and Myamar is now opening up. I'm sure Thailand will keep doing good too. The tourists just keep coming. I recall back early 90's Pattaya was small and nothing compared to what it is today, anywhere outside of Bangkok or Pattaya or other tourist areas you would hardly ever see an expat. Issan you would get stared at as most of the people there never seen a white guy, now days Thailand is flooded with tourists and it just keeps increasing each year. I think it will be a long time before SouthEast Asia has been a thing of the past.

january 1998 USD/THB exchange rate was even higher at 55.50

january 1998 USD/THB exchange rate was even higher at 55.50

sorry, your correct.

I keep forgetting about that. I remember the 51 because I remember a few days before it hit 51 which I think was a Monday it hit 50 and I was thinking no way will it go any higher and I changed $3000 USD.

Its probably off topic, but I think there is an underlying feeling that Thailand needs to do more than they did 10 years ago both for tourists and foreign residents.

Its not dirt cheap as it was when I first visited. Everything associated with tourism has skyrocketed in price. Food, liquor, lodging, transportation.

The place needs to be cleaned up, if you are going to pay higher prices you need to be able to sit andd swim on beaches that are not littered with garbage. You should be able to walk on sidewalks that are not taken up with vendors instead of stepping out in traffic. There needs to be the assumption of safety. I'd suggest a walking police presence in all tourist areas..beat cops.

As for foreign residents, make new rules that make life easier, both for the aliens and the authorities.

To put it in my own personal perspective. I have a pension. Its an lifetime pension. I am married to a Thai national. We have our own home.

Since my income never changes, my address never changes and (I hope) my marital status never changes then why, in Gods name, do I have to check in every 3 months and show the same documents for income and address every year? Wouldn't it be easier to just require me to inform immigration if anything changes.

I'm not a Thai basher, for the most part I enjoy my interactions with Thai people and I love the country. With the exception of the lunacy I see on the roads.

My biggest issue is dealing with the senseless, needless, bureaucratic hoops I have to go through to spend the rest of my life here.

Hear this often from farang that theyre somehow entitled to better conditions/treatment in Thailand which is the gist of your post. Why does Thailand need to do more for tourists and foreign residents? It's a developing country with an infrastructure barely capable of meeting needs of its own citizens let alone the hordes of farangs relocating here for 1st world lifestyle at 3rd world prices.

Has it occurred to you why 'everything associated with tourism has skyrocketed in price not to mention the price of real estate? How much has your home country improved the standard of living for its own citizens over the last 10yrs?

None of whom pay local income tax..

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what country you're from, but if LOS is better than there I can understand you defending this place.

There are some very beautiful places in my home country. My last trip to the PNW convinced me that I need to stop "trying" to live in LOS
IF it's going to cost this much, then give me my moneys worth.
I know there are the staunch defenders and the "go back where you came from" people.. but if you consider this place paradise and over your own country... all I can say is you need to get out more.

There are some things I like about here, but after over 2 years of trying real hard, I'm finished. I want to move on to other places and will spend more time in my home country where I can do things you just can't do here.

There are no ... oh never mind... just time to move on.
IF I am still here posting whining comments like this next year... just shoot me.

Its probably off topic, but I think there is an underlying feeling that Thailand needs to do more than they did 10 years ago both for tourists and foreign residents.
Its not dirt cheap as it was when I first visited. Everything associated with tourism has skyrocketed in price. Food, liquor, lodging, transportation.
The place needs to be cleaned up, if you are going to pay higher prices you need to be able to sit andd swim on beaches that are not littered with garbage. You should be able to walk on sidewalks that are not taken up with vendors instead of stepping out in traffic. There needs to be the assumption of safety. I'd suggest a walking police presence in all tourist areas..beat cops.
As for foreign residents, make new rules that make life easier, both for the aliens and the authorities.
To put it in my own personal perspective. I have a pension. Its an lifetime pension. I am married to a Thai national. We have our own home.
Since my income never changes, my address never changes and (I hope) my marital status never changes then why, in Gods name, do I have to check in every 3 months and show the same documents for income and address every year? Wouldn't it be easier to just require me to inform immigration if anything changes.
I'm not a Thai basher, for the most part I enjoy my interactions with Thai people and I love the country. With the exception of the lunacy I see on the roads.
My biggest issue is dealing with the senseless, needless, bureaucratic hoops I have to go through to spend the rest of my life here.

The whole world has had its day!!! Man up and be thankful for the good time you was allowed to enjoy here in LOS!

Still better here than my home country, that's for sure and also better than living in a police state like the US or Britain, where millions of cameras follow your every move. In LOS at least they tell you right in your face (or if not, they are too "shallow" to hide it efficiently enough) what your status (2nd class citizen/guest) in their system is, so you can work with it. I would be a foreigner and 2nd class citizen in my home country today, thus I better live my outcast "guest worker" life here in Thailand.

Edited by Nowisee

Every country is full of buearcratic crap, Thailand needs it to keep the millions who would otherwise be unemployed,to shuffle paper around,and they cannot even do that in an effcient manner,or govt offices were they all go to lunch at the same time,an immigration dept where no one speaks English,joke of a country really,even the Indian's are more organised,never has and never will be anything than a country known for it whores.

How many people in the immigration department of your home country speak Thai?

Come on man, that's a stupid question and you know it.

Just think of all the other countries bordering thailand... they speak pretty good english... thailand is at the bottom of that list I can almost guarantee it.

Talk to the thai's that live in bangkok... many speak english.

English is the international language in medicine, science, math, engineering and other things that I don't know...55555

In my country, the people in customs and border patrol that work the mexican border MUST speak spanish in order to work there...why? Because they work on the mexican border. I venture to bet that its the same in other countries.

Because your country shares a border with a Spanish speaking country, maybe?

Does Thailand share a border with an English speaking country?

To effectively be able to perform their duties.

Why do many thais speak english? Why are so many thais wanting to learn to speak english?

Is it because thailand borders shares a border with an english speaking country?

Because your country shares a border with a Spanish speaking country, maybe?

Does Thailand share a border with an English speaking country?

it shares a border with a country where English is one of the two official languages.

How many people in the immigration department of your home country speak Thai?

Come on man, that's a stupid question and you know it.

Just think of all the other countries bordering thailand... they speak pretty good english... thailand is at the bottom of that list I can almost guarantee it.

Talk to the thai's that live in bangkok... many speak english.

English is the international language in medicine, science, math, engineering and other things that I don't know...55555

In my country, the people in customs and border patrol that work the mexican border MUST speak spanish in order to work there...why? Because they work on the mexican border. I venture to bet that its the same in other countries.

add Florida which does not border any Spanish speaking country but requires in many of its counties that a certain percentage of government employees and utility companies speak Spanish.