Urgent - Require Work Permit and Company Information

Hi

I previously asked a question about whether a Non-Working Director of a Thai company needs a Work Permit - the replies were ambiguous (predictably) - because the law and the interpretation of "working" in the law are not clear. The question arose because the company requested a renewal of its quota to employ foreign workers from Myanmar. For past 4 years the other Thai director of the company has done that by herself - even though normally for the company - for protection of my investment - 2 signatures including mine are required for everything. This year they demanded my signature as well. Ok no problem about that - but then demanded a copy of my Work Permit - which I don't have because the only "work" I have ever done in over 6 years is signing annual accounts and tax returns.

Today, they have said if I don't have a Work Permit they will have me deported for working illegally in Thailand - so this is very serious - but they are willing to give me the time to get a Work Permit. However, according to the other Director - they also offered an alternative solution - which is to modify the company registration so that only one Director's signature is required - but to do this in a way that is specific to the quota application - so it does not mean I am giving away all my rights in the company. I don't know if this is possible - or if it is an elaborate ruse by the other Director to get me to give away my rights in the company - and lose all my investment - amounting to 10 million baht

This is all very suspicious because the company is just about to sell some property assets worth about 12 million baht and make a substantial repayment to me

So I need to know 2 things -

1. is it possible to get an urgent work permit - and if so how to do and and how long would it atke and how much would it cost - and does anyone know of a lawyer in Chiang Mai who could help do it?

2. I need to know if it is possible to change the company signature requirements in a very specific way as has been suggested - and if so how can it be done - to make sure I am not giving away all my rights.

Any other relevant advice also welcome

Thank you

You can get a tempory wp which is valid for 14 days within 24 hours and they are free

And if you were not actively involved in the business and only signing paperwork in Thailand on an annual basis you could have had a temp WP on an annual basis and been legal all along ie apply for the 14 day one every year

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

thank you - can you tell me how and where to apply for the temporary work permit - what are the requirements?

Your company applies for it but the name and number of the application form escapes me sorry, but if memory serves you need to be on a non imm B