Concrete Render Finishes

chiangrai

I am having a house built and just about a half hour ago they started the concrete render.

They are giving it a really sharp straight finish which I don't want.So on Monday morning I have to know what finish I want and probably how to achieve it as well.

I am searching for videos on youtube but could do with some advice.I heard of somebody finishing render with a sponge before but that's all I know.

What's the best way to achieve a non-sharp finish with concrete

render on a concrete block wall both at the corners and the flat surfaces that a Thai builder will understand.

Dont forget the roughing is stage one and often a different colour...darker grey.

Then the finish i have seen them with a much smoother mix much lighter that they skim on with a float and then finish with sponge set into the float. They can simpky remove it wash it out and continue.

Are you getting concerned because you are judging the roughing coat?

I can use Google Images but I can't paste the image on here.

You could probably tell me how in one sentence though.

I found some things on Google Image that I like and would love to

show them to you so I could get some advice.

At 4.30 just before they knocked off for the weekend one guy started rendering

a corner and made it so sharp it looked dangerous.The render looked very smooth.

Maybe I can tell them not to make the render mix so smooth and then when they apply the render not to smooth it off with the float.I will go back to YouTube and watch a video on how to do the smooth finish plastering and see if there is some stage where I can tell them to stop.

If using a Windows PC and browser,

Open two browser tabs,

a. webpage containing image you want to use (actual site, google image page won't work) and have an .jpg .gif .png image extension.

b. thaivisa (Reply to this topic) page

In tab (a,) right-click the image you want linked in your thaivisa post, select "Copy image URL"

in tab (b.) click you cursor in the edit box where you want your image to appear, select "image" in the menu and paste the link.

repeat if posting multiple images.

Use (More Reply Options) to preview the post, at least until you have the process down.

This process uses the actual link from the target website. Hopefully the graphic you're using isn't too large.

You could also download and upload the image to ThaiVisa (or a cloud share), but that takes more time.

Edited by RichCor

What do you mean by "a really straight sharp finish which you don't want"

From your description, I cannot understand what finish you want...

You talk about a sponge finish, is that what you want? Are you after a very smooth finish?

If I remember correctly...

When they rendered our house they applied the first mix and then scrapped off, what seemed like 10%, to level the surface with the long wooden tool that they use to level concrete floors. They then scrubbed it with noisy circular motions with the normal float and water to get a flat surface. They then applied a specially prepared smooth cement mix from finely sieved cement, allowed this to dry a little, then smoothed it with foam pads on their floats.

I presume they have applies plastic corner beading before starting the rendering.

I'm afraid posting an image of what I want on this post is beyond me but

I'm looking for a rough old world finish.Not perfectly fat and smooth.

Like when a stone wall is rendered and you can still see the shape of the stones

in the render.

Humpy and bumpy with a course render and rounded corners not perfectly flat and smooth

with sharp corners.

This is probably easier to do than the smooth way if I just knew how.Would haveing them use course sand instead of fine sand help or not applying the second coat.

And telling them not to screed it off with a long stick and not to flatten it out with the float.

How far can I go without affecting the fungtion of the render,The quality of the blockwork is poor and it lets in damp.

Whatever I do I will have to know by tomorrow morning when they turn up for work