Health Insurance

dave111223

Is it possible to get health (and/or) life insurance in Thailand without a work permit? According to my wife's insurance company its not.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to get health insurance here, and if its in fact possible or not, which companies, rough costs, etc...

Dear Forum,

Before I got my retirement visa I went to the local hospital to get the medical. Whilst there the nice lady said to me come back when you have the visa and you can get health insurance.

After getting the visa I went back and was told I couldn't if I didn't have a work permit. I told her "Maai daai" or I would lose the retirement visa.

We sat there quietly for a while until I said thank you and left!

To get a retirement visa I had to prove I had more money in the bank than many people who have work permits so it didn't make commercial sense to me - I still try to make sense of things at times. Or maybe they just don't want to ensure old people - healthy or not.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

I've had BUPA health insurance for four years now without a work permit or even a visa ... just a 30-day passport stamp. I don't think your Immigrations status matters to BUPA.

I too have had Bupa for 4 years. I have a years extension on my visa every year, but they never asked for a visa. Off topic a bit but what are you going to do come October first with the 90 day limit for people with Visa on arrival?

Barry

Thanks guy, i will give BUPA a call and check out their options/pricing.

Just to make sure; you guys have actually been able to collect on claims with them?

I just ask because it seems like the insurance companies are always happy to collect your premium, but then when its time to pay out 'You dont have a work permit, so you've violated the policy' seems right up their alley?

Is it possible to get health (and/or) life insurance in Thailand without a work permit? According to my wife's insurance company its not.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to get health insurance here, and if its in fact possible or not, which companies, rough costs, etc...

I have just took out health insurance with the following company, I have a retirement visa not a work permit, that has never been mentioned. They have several different plans

http://www.thaihealth.co.th/index_e.php

macb

Of course you can get private health/life insurance without a work permit. There are a number of international, as well as local companies that do it. Do a search in the health section for more details. I use Goodhealth International and they did not ask to see my work permit. Costs will obvioulsy vary depending on your age and medical history.

Before buying just check the small print.

"I have just took out health insurance with the following company, I have a retirement visa not a work permit, that has never been mentioned. They have several different plans

http://www.thaihealth.co.th/index_e.php

macb"

Dear macb,

How are you?

I am interested in what you found out about Thai Health insurance

Were you able to discuss the plans with anyone? I briefly looked at the website and as usual wth these things they look a bit difficult - will have to study them.

Did you have any info on how well they pay out?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z