End of the flea market at Prince Royal's

Puwa

It is quite easy to navigate this area any Saturday or Sunday. Rattakosin Rd and Kaew Narawat Road the two E - W parallel arterials, are both open. Only the linking street that goes by PR College is closed, and that ends before sunset.

Where will people buy their Fighting Beetles now??

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to the market this afternoon, a few of the vendors werent there but the guy with all the bicycle stuff was. Got a set of rechargeable LED lights....went for the 280 baht ones as they had more LEDs vs the 220 baht lights.

Good guy to deal with. I even spotted a carbon fibre seat post and handlebars (980 and 1100 baht respectively) extremely light but a bit above my requirements.

I too am glad they are still there, sure there is some rubbish for sale but sometimes you find that missing gem in the rough.

Sunday walking street market starts in the vicinity of Thaepae Gate and Road. However I doubt that you will find old tools there, I think it is just the clothing and knic knak vendors that move across from Prince Royal.

Another second hand place that you may be lucky with is just up past the Holiday Inn. Nong Hoi second hand store is what I know it as. The lady that owns the business is a very shrewd person and knows how to make a buck or two. Lots of stuff there but the tools are mainly electrical (buy at your own risk). Its an interesting trove of goodies and not so good items.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting mixed reports this morning...... Been told that the police and the army are out there preventing vendors from setting up. Some are set up already and others are attempting to set up..... There is someone out there with a bullhorn hollering what seems to be to not set up and go to another location........ problems continue ?????...... hope nothing stronger than words.

This sort of suppression of unregulated peoples market seem to be happening all over, especially BKK, could it be an effort by the forces of the elites to channel this little stream of revenue to the establishment coffers? These types of places seem to be populated by nonconformists and free thinkers... can't have that.

I biked along the Prince Royal's College road, past the flea market street this morning, about 10:15. NOT a soul in sight. Not a vendor nor buyer seen.

Did see a sign nearby suggesting Wintertime Flea market at Central Festival, in the evening. Day of the week?

Agree that social control is paramount with authoritarian governments so unruly street markets are highly suspect.

Well if they have been moved on I sure hope they inform us as to where the preferred location is to be.

Central Festival outside carpark/paddock may work but I can imagine the chaos with traffic.

Id like to see the stall holder with the bike accessories again, good products at fair prices.

Edited by CMKiwi

I biked along the Prince Royal's College road, past the flea market street this morning, about 10:15. NOT a soul in sight. Not a vendor nor buyer seen.

Did see a sign nearby suggesting Wintertime Flea market at Central Festival, in the evening. Day of the week?

Agree that social control is paramount with authoritarian governments so unruly street markets are highly suspect.

Anything less like an 'unruly street market' I have yet to see here. Was a regular visitor for a good while, starting some nine years ago and looking for unusual, non- touristy items for my home decor. More than happy with what I bought and the prices I paid - beats hell out of the Made in China tourist junk in the walking street-style markets nowadays. A good few of the stallholders there were simply finding ways to help their personal finances - can't blame them for that. Have called by a few times during the past year - less seriously interesting stuff. but still a good flea market.

Note to detractors - sanitizing Thailand won't bring back the real tourists, the Chinese influx doesn't help at all, neither will what seems to be an attempt to turn the country into Disneyland complete with fairy tales and unsubstantiated myths.

Very Sad to see it shut down......Just for what its worth, I think it would be a hard job finding a better location. This market was off to the corner of the beaten path...... all 4 sides of the location were easily avoided by taking other main roads to get where one may be going........ most of the surrounding grounds were occupied by schools.... Prince Royal, CMIS, Payap.... and they are not known for Saturday and Sunday openings necessitating in/out traffic..... No , my thoughts would be more to someone of Hi-So nature living in the area who was unhappy with the traffic and was owed a favor.

This was undoubtably the most unique of all the weekend markets..... again , sorry to see it go. Saw quite a few treasures come out of it.

This is happening a lot in Bangkok too. The police (under pressure form the military dictators) are closing down all 'illegal' street markets. It's a shame that at the same time they don't force the rich landowners to charge rents that ordinary people can afford, as high rents are what forces petty traders onto the streets in the first place.

Remember ??????

THEY'RE BACK

After a week holiday it seems that the vendors are back for the second hand market........... Little differently organized but back..... and now on both sides of the road.... Haven't seen it yet myself, but have been told...... I guess some type arrangement was made....... If someone wants to check it out, please give us an update/

G

I spoke to a vendor who actually resides in Mae Rim. He said all big misunderstanding and back to normal this weekend.

I will try and pop in for a looksee today. May even go around to the PunPun for a McBarf and to give Gonzo an offer on his 3 wheel motorbike (Not)

Not so many stalls this time and The Pun Pun is a guesthouse cum restaurant that is next to the Embassy House/Condo. Its just a stones throw from the market. Great food at great price (ie it wont break your bank)

Its back towards the river but dont go over the bridge.

Google Embassy House and the Pun Pun is to the right of it.

CMKiwi--concerning the Second Hand Shop, Holiday Inn, Nong Hoi--any slightly clearer directions, like it is presumably somewhere on the road that eventually runs down to Mahidol, and on to Lamphun?? Before, or after junction with HolidayInn and Rajavej? Plus---does the owner buy second hand stuff either when it's taken in to the shop, or do sort of House Clearance buying?

Thanks.

I had thought of getting down to the old Prince Royal Second Hand market, and renting a pitch and trying my hand at selling stuff there--I did this many years back, but I only joined in with a Thai friend, and she did all the stall renting, dealing, etc--not sure how easy it is to just roll up and set up?

Was there today. The connecting street, former site of many stalls, now totally cleared. Only the major street on the north side of PRoyals College had numerous vendors. Compared to 3 months ago, about 80% as good. Stalls on north side of road are facing the sun and so have erected many large umbrellas and awnings, some of which force walkers into the busy street. The opposite side of the street in the shade.

I saw a 2 men together, one had a jacket emblazoned with 'City Police' on the back. The other man had a clipboard and was writing down info from vendors, and maybe collecting cash (tax?).

CMKiwi--concerning the Second Hand Shop, Holiday Inn, Nong Hoi--any slightly clearer directions, like it is presumably somewhere on the road that eventually runs down to Mahidol, and on to Lamphun?? Before, or after junction with HolidayInn and Rajavej? Plus---does the owner buy second hand stuff either when it's taken in to the shop, or do sort of House Clearance buying?

Thanks.

I had thought of getting down to the old Prince Royal Second Hand market, and renting a pitch and trying my hand at selling stuff there--I did this many years back, but I only joined in with a Thai friend, and she did all the stall renting, dealing, etc--not sure how easy it is to just roll up and set up?

Nong Hoi second hand shop is past the Holiday Inn and about 50 metres before the Mandihol Rd overpass. Its on the Left hand side.

I believe she sells and buys second hand appliances and furniture. Ive never sold anything there but the missus is always buying there!!!

• 8 months later...