Will My Battery Be Flat?

nokia

hello folks,

Just a short qn. I left my pickup truck in late June, and will be going back to LOS next month.

As i did not disconnect the battery, what are the chances that it will be flat next month?

If so, do i call the Toyota dealer or any mechanic, and what is the usual charge for battery & transport? Cheers!

[quote name='nokia' date='2006-10-12 11:14:37' post='937

If so, do i call the Toyota dealer or any mechanic, and what is the usual charge for battery & transport? Cheers!

It probably wont be flat.

One of your nieghbours will probably have jump leads and help you get it going if it is flat.

Either way go for a decent drive immediately after starting it to recharge the battery, preferably with no lights or aircon :o on.

Cheers

One of your nieghbours will probably have jump leads and help you get it going if it is flat.

Cheers

Forgot to add , TiT , people are nice.

Definitely agree. My battery died getting ready to go to work a few months ago. My gardner came over to help and when his cables wouldn't work (too small) he went around the neighborhood asking for jumper cables. After successfully starting the car I tried to offer him payment and it seemed to embarrass him and he refused. I decided to 'top up' his gardner fee anyway under the guise of 'additional work' and he was very appreciative.

Thanks percy2 & tywais for the quick responses. I'm thinking of bringing along a dry accumulator & jumper leads, as i dont want to inconvenience my friendly thai neighbours. Well, maybe "grieng jai" once in awhile is ok....

More than likely your battery WILL be flat, things like the radio and security systems are a small but continual drain. Best to disconnect it, I always do and the worst outcome is that you may have to reprogram the radio.

I initially left it connected and jump started on my return but the battery was nackered after 3 one month discharge cycles and had to be replaced.

More than likely your battery WILL be flat, things like the radio and security systems are a small but continual drain. Best to disconnect it, I always do and the worst outcome is that you may have to reprogram the radio.

I initially left it connected and jump started on my return but the battery was nackered after 3 one month discharge cycles and had to be replaced.

Make sure you have the security code for your audio system if you disconnect the battery.

I thought a complete discharge was good for a battery?

Thai car batteries are notoriously prone to very limited lifespan.

Make sure you have the security code for your audio system if you disconnect the battery.

I have not sure if i have the security code. Maybe i have to check with the Toyota dealer.

I didnt disconnect the battery because i was afraid of clearing any pre-defined engine memories rather the radio which can be reprogram in a jiffy.

The battery is about 1 yr old and used only every few months.

I didnt disconnect the battery because i was afraid of clearing any pre-defined engine memories rather the radio which can be reprogram in a jiffy.

The engine computers store their data in non-volatile memory (eeprom - like your usb flash drive) which does not require a power source to keep the information. Wonder if the codes for the audio are the same?

hello folks,

Just a short qn. I left my pickup truck in late June, and will be going back to LOS next month.

As i did not disconnect the battery, what are the chances that it will be flat next month?

If you keep your car in a garage a trickle charger will keep the battery fresh.

If you keep your car in a garage a trickle charger will keep the battery fresh.

It looks quite interesting. I will normally shut down the entire power supply when i'm away. Maybe there are some folks here who might be interested in the trickle charger?

• 4 weeks later...
Percy2, thanks, you are right afterall. btw, there's some green corrosion on the battery contacts. Do i clean it or let it be?

That's the copper corroding, sometimes acid fumes will attack it. Just some baking soda (to neutralize the acid if any) with water and a stiff brush (preferably steel) and scrub the posts. Will come off nicely. One thing to do to prevent it in the future is to coat the posts with vaseline.

The engine computers store their data in non-volatile memory (eeprom - like your usb flash drive) which does not require a power source to keep the information. Wonder if the codes for the audio are the same?

the reason for an audio code is to make the radio "useless" if stolen from vehicle.

complete discharges are good fo NiCad batteries but not lead acid, there are deep cycle types which are built to take that sort of treatment.

Is it running rough? Usually if you let a vehicle sit that long you'll get condensation in the fuel tank and in the oil as well. The rotor and cap generally have corosion too.

What's running "rough"? i think the acceleration(pickup) is about the same, and the fuel consumption too.

p.s. thanks tywais, will find some baking soda.

when i said running "rough" I mean that sometimes when you have water in your fuel or corrosion somewhere on the cap or rotor it sounds like the engine is missing. It doesn't sound like it's been tuned up in some time. Though from what you have said, I guess that is not a problem.