Insulin Pens in Thailand

Capealava

Hello,

I was just diagnosed with Diabetis 2 while on a short trip to the USA. However I am retired in Pattaya Thailand. I am using Lantus solostar pens and one touch glucose monitor and strips. I can easily change to Accu-check monitor which seems popular in Thailand, but I am concerned about finding the pens or something similar. Tried Fascino Pharmacy through my Thai wife but the told her they only carry Humulin in bottles no pens. So I am looking for a reliable Pharmacy that sells PENS either Humulin or Lantus solostar at a reasonable price. BKK hospital Pattaya want 1750 baht for 1 pen which is ridicolous. If anyone has any info that can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you

Lantus SoloSTAR pre-filled pen is available in Thailand - but is imported and will be expensive. Suggets you try fascino again and specifically ask for Lantus SoloSTAR. Be sure this is at the main Fascino store and not a smaller branch.

Humulin indeed is not available here as a Pen, this may have been where the confusion came in. Ask specifically for Lantus SoloSTAR.

I am rather surprised though that you are on insulin if only recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, as this is usually managed by an oral medication plus diet and exercise, with insulin reserved for severe cases that do not respond to oral meds. Were oral meds tried first? Have you adjusted your diet and increased exercise?

Thank you for the replies. Yes, it is possible my wife asked the question in the wrong way. "Lost in Translation" I was surprised as I I was under the impression that Fascino's carried Lantus or novolog pens from all the thavisa post's I read. So I will try again in the way you suggested. My Blood sugar was extremely high and I had been urinating 6-8 times a night so my doctor wanted me on insulin right away. I also take metformin. I have however began a diabetic diet and with more exercise and have been able to reduce my initial insulin dosage to half of what it was. So I will keep at it.

Thank you again

when I was diagnosed with type 2 16 years ago I had ketoacidosis and was prescribed 500mg metformin 3 x per day and 44 units of mixtard 30 after they kept me in the hospital for 3 days to bring down my blood glucose to a safe level... now I do the same metformin and 20 units mixtard 30 before bed and I test around 110 - 120 mg/dl fasting first thing in the morning...I've done a lot of BG testing with different foods and have got things well under control now...if you've just been diagnosed I strongly recommend that you do the same and get things under control NOW, no post prandial spikes over 150...I went too long uncontrolled, daytime BG all over the place, and now have bad neuropathy in my lower extremities and have had erectile dysfunction for over 10 years now...

I've only ever used mixtard 30 pens except for a time in Vietnam when I couldn't find any...they are available in Thailand both the novopen disposable and the penfill cartridges (I've had the same penfill applicator for about 12 years)...probably need to check the dosage equivalency with what you use now...

Is is possible to mail insulin USA to Thailand and keep it cold enough for maybe max of 7-8 days and get into your refrigerator. So cheap using Medicare with 90 day script and 3 refills for a yrs total of insulin for very very cheap using Medicare In USA.. Has anyone tried or been successful at this. I know keeping it cool for 7-8 days may be extremely difficult.

Is is possible to mail insulin USA to Thailand and keep it cold enough for maybe max of 7-8 days and get into your refrigerator. So cheap using Medicare with 90 day script and 3 refills for a yrs total of insulin for very very cheap using Medicare In USA.. Has anyone tried or been successful at this. I know keeping it cool for 7-8 days may be extremely difficult.

Before trying to acquire the insulin via Medicare ( is that allowed if you are outside the US? ) check on the cost of secure, refrigerated transportation.

I would personally not use a medicinal product which at been not been stored/transported according to the manufactures instruction.

I have not heard of anyone doing this.

It is actually not technically legal to have any pharmaceutical mailed to you from abroad. In practice small parcels of oral medication are usually allowed in by customs (assuming not a controlled drug). However this pertains to drugs sent by regular post and there is no way you can assure adequate cold storage through regular mail.

Since it is not technically legal, courier services will not do it (or they will do it and then contact you when the drug is in customs telling you that you have to produce an FDA import permit, which you cannot get).

SO I think the short answer is that favorite Thai phrase - cannot.

There is no issue with using Medicare if living abroad, Medicare eligibility is not affected by that. There is just no Medicare reimbursement for services received from foreign facilities, at least as of yet.