Blue Screen

Totster

If you have more then one memory stick remove them and leave one in and see if it is stable. If not take that one out and switch another one in and run again. You can use this program memtest86 to run tests but my understanding test 5 seems to always show errors so might ignore it. If only one stick then try and borrow one from someone to test the system again. Also, use pencil eraser to clean the contact edges of the memory stick. Not too hard or you will remove the gold. Then wipe it with a soft cloth to remove any residue.

If you have more then one memory stick remove them and leave one in and see if it is stable. If not take that one out and switch another one in and run again. You can use this program memtest86 to run tests but my understanding test 5 seems to always show errors so might ignore it. If only one stick then try and borrow one from someone to test the system again. Also, use pencil eraser to clean the contact edges of the memory stick. Not too hard or you will remove the gold. Then wipe it with a soft cloth to remove any residue.

Cheers Tywais.. I'll download the memtest..

But, i still have 2 months warranty left on this PC (Acer), is the warranty worth anything, should i take it to the shop ?

I don't mind rumaging around doing what you suggested, in my experience if they (in the shop) can't see the problem for themself they will think nothing is wrong, and i can't reproduce the error for them to see..

I get the error maybe once a day..

cheers

Totster :o

But, i still have 2 months warranty left on this PC (Acer), is the warranty worth anything, should i take it to the shop ?

I don't mind rumaging around doing what you suggested, in my experience if they (in the shop) can't see the problem for themself they will think nothing is wrong, and i can't reproduce the error for them to see..

I get the error maybe once a day..

Good point (warranty) and you are right, if the shop doesn't see anything in a few minutes they may just assume it's operator error. :o If the memtest shows something though, then you can supply them with the results to give some proof of a real error.

One thing about memtest86 and it will create a bootable floppy or bootable CD depending on which version you download. This bypasses all drivers of windows in case something is wrong there and just tests the memory hardware.

I would get Acer on this immediately, preferably with memtest if that happens to exhibit the failure plus bring a digital camera shot of the blue screen. Just because you isolate the ram stick by trial and error (which it probably is) is no guarantee they will accept and agree with your conclusion. Just tell them you want the bsod fixed and let them go through their troubleshooting guides which may efficiently resolve it. And if it isn't the RAM, again they might be able to fix it efficiently. Most likely you do have a hardware failure of some sort.

totster - As other have suggested, take the computer to an authorized Acer repair facility and register your complaint and get a dated receipt.

That will document a failure occured within the warrenty period. Said receipt could, if necessary, be used to legally pressure Acer should the problem still exist, once the warrenty expires.

waldwolf