Samaritan killed by taxi as he stopped to help fix a breakdown car

webfact

A Samaritan killed by a taxi as he stopped to help fix a breakdown car

image-13-wpcf_728x409.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- A good Samaritan was killed by a taxi as he stopped his car to help a motorist change his deflated tyre on the Taksin bridge in Thon Buri Saturday morning.

The victim was identified as Mr Kiartisak Surin, the owner of a Honda Jazz.

It was reported that a Toyota Vios broke down due to a deflated tyre and stopped on the left lane of the Taksin bridge while awaiting for help. Then a Honda Jazz pulled over and stopped behind the first car with the driver, Mr Kiarttisak, alighting from his car to give help.

According to witness accounts, there were three cars parked on the kerbside of the bridge. Out of a sudden, a speeding taxi ploughed into the rear of the third car which slid and rammed into two other cars.

But the force of the impact threw Mr Kiarttisak out of the bridge into asphalted Krung Thonburi road underneath. The victim died from impact from the fall.

The taxi driver, Mr Sucheep Ponpitak, who escaped from the scene later reported himself to the police. He admitted that he didn’t see the parked cars because it was so dark.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/156999

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-28

didn’t see the parked cars because it was so dark

Dark tinted windscreen perhaps?

I rented a car with a blacked out windscreen once - great for during the day, but horrible at night! Being a person with at least half a functioning brain, though, the poor visibility did slow me down.

Regardless of why an illuminated road in a built up city seemed dark while driving your modern car with functioning headlights - if you can't see, don't drive so fast that you can't see stationary vehicles in your path!

(And don't run away from the scene of an accident, but that another issue...)

A Samaritan killed by a taxi as he stopped to help fix a breakdown car

image-13-wpcf_728x409.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- A good Samaritan was killed by a taxi as he stopped his car to help a motorist change his deflated tyre on the Taksin bridge in Thon Buri Saturday morning.

The victim was identified as Mr Kiartisak Surin, the owner of a Honda Jazz.

It was reported that a Toyota Vios broke down due to a deflated tyre and stopped on the left lane of the Taksin bridge while awaiting for help. Then a Honda Jazz pulled over and stopped behind the first car with the driver, Mr Kiarttisak, alighting from his car to give help.

According to witness accounts, there were three cars parked on the kerbside of the bridge. Out of a sudden, a speeding taxi ploughed into the rear of the third car which slid and rammed into two other cars.

But the force of the impact threw Mr Kiarttisak out of the bridge into asphalted Krung Thonburi road underneath. The victim died from impact from the fall.

The taxi driver, Mr Sucheep Ponpitak, who escaped from the scene later reported himself to the police. He admitted that he didn’t see the parked cars because it was so dark.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/156999

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2016-03-28

Given these taxis constantly drive on the left curb it's surprising this doesn't happen more often. There is no punishments given to these drivers who drive outside of the traffic lanes. Surely, this incident will provide no punishments as well save a minor fine. He should be charged with the death and for his driving off the main stream of traffic.

I rented a car with a blacked out windscreen once - great for during the day, but horrible at night! Being a person with at least half a functioning brain, though, the poor visibility did slow me down.

Regardless of why an illuminated road in a built up city seemed dark while driving your modern car with functioning headlights - if you can't see, don't drive so fast that you can't see stationary vehicles in your path!

(And don't run away from from the scene of an accident, but that another issue...)

Somewhere in the depths of my very small brain I vaguely recall a law limiting the degree of tinting - now if it were enforced...

:rolleyes:

And as for those trucks with the "horizontal curtains" top and bottom of the windscreens, leaving only a heavily tinted slit to peer through? Driving in heavy traffic must be like dancing "Swan Lake" in a burqua and a welding mask!

(And don't run away from the scene of an accident, but that another issue...)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh perhaps Thainess at a glance?

Fleeing the scene of an accident should be an automatic doubling of the fine/penalty...minimal as these are in Thailand.

Stopping in the night to help somebody on the side of the road is incredibly dangerous. RIP and condolences to the family of the deceased. The taxi driver should do at least 5 years in jail.

If the degree of tinting was a factor, some would still argue that "nanny state" restrictions on such things in UK, Canada, Australia, France, Germany etc represent a violation of individual freedom. In Thailand you see pitch black tinting that must make for hazardous conditions, in some ways a freedom to injure or kill.

Somewhere in the depths of my very small brain I vaguely recall a law limiting the degree of tinting - now if it were enforced...

rolleyes.gif

And as for those trucks with the "horizontal curtains" top and bottom of the windscreens, leaving only a heavily tinted slit to peer through? Driving in heavy traffic must be like dancing "Swan Lake" in a burqua and a welding mask!

I stupidly assumed that no such laws existed in Thailand, considering that it's pretty much the first thing most people do... Now that you suggest that they do, I remember that law enforcement is arbitrary at best, and traffic law enforcement is even worse.

If the degree of tinting was a factor, some would still argue that "nanny state" restrictions on such things in UK, Canada, Australia, France, Germany etc represent a violation of individual freedom. In Thailand you see pitch black tinting that must make for hazardous conditions, in some ways a freedom to injure or kill.

I have no basis for my assumption other than personal experience, although the windscreen taxi in the photo appears opaque compared to the windscreen of the car behind it. It's just one possible explanation why he couldn't see in front of him on an illuminated road in a built up city while driving his modern car with functioning headlights.

Yes, after driving that rented car for four weeks, I can certainly appreciate the Australian laws regarding window tinting, especially the windscreen where no film is permitted at all.

I've got a friend who's wife tinted the front windscreen. She now can't drive her car at night as it's too dark! Insane.

I was with a friend recently who has very dark side windows. When backing up at night, he has to roll down the windows to see what's behind him. Again, insane.

And yes, it is illegal, but not enforced.

Got a deflated tyre drive it to a safe place to change it that's not putting anybody's life in danger,

Exactly, I drove Tow Truck for 18 years. I told everyone I knew that if they had a flat in an area that was unsafe they should just drive on the flat tire at a reduced speed until they came to a place of safety. Even if you have to buy another wheel and/or tire it's certainly cheaper than losing your life.

My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

Edited by Lee4Life

He didn't see them?

So....headlights?

Speed, adjusted to the time of day/ night?

Probably the view blocked by swinging Buddha- amulets, flower garlands and a Chelsea- scarf?

Not really sober, maybe?

Isn't it time for one of the heartwarming "taxi driver returns 1 brazillion Baht to distessed farang customer"- stories? coffee1.gif

R.I.P. Helpful Man!

Edited by DM07

I've got a friend who's wife tinted the front windscreen. She now can't drive her car at night as it's too dark! Insane.

I was with a friend recently who has very dark side windows. When backing up at night, he has to roll down the windows to see what's behind him. Again, insane.

And yes, it is illegal, but not enforced.

On top of that they all have cheap windowfilms who make the view blurry, even in daylight.

Real tanned windscreens would be much better then those plastic films full of holes where they pinched the airbubbles to make them disappear.

But seen the amount of drivers who even don't have any headlights at night this is not important at all. Just take the backroads where the drunks drive at night without light or anything.

Judging from the description of the magnitude of the impact, it sounds like this jackass was driving at an excessively high speed.

And his excuse is that he couldn't see the parked cars ahead?

More like "didn't see in time," I'd wager.