Effort to evict flower vendors at PakKhlong Talad fails after resistance

rooster59

Effort to evict flower vendors at PakKhlong Talad fails after resistance

post-247607-0-65954600-1459582373_thumb.

BANGKOK: The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday failed to evict some 2,000 sidewalk vendors from Pak Khlong Talad flower market amid protest.

Yesterday was the deadline set by the BMA for flower vendors to relocate, but they resisted.

Efforts to move some 2,000 vendors out of Pak Khlong Talad flower market began three months ago to improve traffic flows at the areas.

Vendors who sell flowers at daytime were given March 31 as the deadline to move.

BMA deployed 60 city officials to evict the vendors yesterday.

But they could do nothing as angry vendors resisted.

The vendors previously were told to relocate to the sites located nearby, one place is Taling Chan .

But some complained that Taling Chan market is too far, while the eight rai Yodpiman market and Wat Kang Leab market are too small and they have been fully booked since the first day of registration.

They pledged to keep the sidewalk clean and refrain from blocking traffic with stalls and vehicles only if BMA allow them to continue selling flowers there.

One vendor said she only earned 100 baht a day after relocated to a private building prepared by BMA.

One shopper voiced opposition to the BMA’s move as the market is a main tourist attraction of Bangkok.

Everyone knows Pak Khlong Talad is the place where they can always look for flowers. It’s most packed during the festive seasons like Songkran and others. Thais travel here to buy flowers, she said.

Bangkok residents also opposed the idea of instilling sense of order to the 4th largest flower market in the world and move all vendors out.

Some claimed that BMA has failed in managing the space and regulating it before.

Although their stalls are obstructing pedestrians and traffic, but can they clear the pavement every week and there are not as many tourists as before.

But the BMA insisted that the vendors are no longer allowed to occupy pavements during the day and that they should move out this Monday, which is their day off.

However, vendors who sell flowers at night from 8.30pm to 4.30am are still allowed at the area until June 30.

But all vendors will then be banned from selling on sidewalks from July 1, BMA officials said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157994

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-02

They should ban street vendors in bangkok period. In silom these pests are coming back already. Making the sidewalk impossoble to walk at lunch hour and leaving all the garbage around at the end of day. Not to mention the polution from the barbecues crap they sell

I hate these people

This is going according to plan, isn't it. lol

Lets toss some verbal bouquets to the flower vendors for standing their ground. They are only trying to survive. After living here 6 years I have perceived that to be a daily struggle. I am finally getting a handle on Thai day to day thinking.

Edited by elgordo38

Lets toss some verbal bouquets to the flower vendors for standing their ground. They are only trying to survive. After living here 6 years I have perceived that to be a daily struggle. I am finally getting a handle on Thai day to day thinking.

You don't live here (BKK), Chiang mai is 800 km away.

I hate the low umbrella's, filthy wet pavement they create, binbags, narrow walkways, yelling vendors.....Just get rid of ALL of them please. It's 2016 these days. Pressure wash the pavements and if they come back give them a huge fine.

They should ban street vendors in bangkok period. In silom these pests are coming back already. Making the sidewalk impossoble to walk at lunch hour and leaving all the garbage around at the end of day. Not to mention the polution from the barbecues crap they sell

I hate these people

Are you talking about Silom Rd., Bangkok, Thailand?? Well, these 'pests' as you call them are THAI people. The 'crap' you mention is considered food by THAI people, who like the availability of the food sold exactly they way it is and in the location it is.

This has always been the way - all over Thailand, long before you even knew that there is a Thailand. You are a guest here. When you go to visit a friend at his home do you demand he get furniture / food / cloths or whatever that suits you???

I hate the low umbrella's, filthy wet pavement they create, binbags, narrow walkways, yelling vendors.....Just get rid of ALL of them please. It's 2016 these days. Pressure wash the pavements and if they come back give them a huge fine.

Don't think this is going to happen. Yes, it is 2016, or actually 2557 here in Thailand. Maybe you should go to a more advanced country where people live according to your own 2016 standards....

Don't think this is going to happen. Yes, it is 2016, or actually 2557 here in Thailand. Maybe you should go to a more advanced country where people live according to your own 2016 standards....

I'm pretty sure that no one will care what someone who thinks that this year is 2557 in Thailand thinks about anything.

Maybe you should go and find a way to be better informed before you have a go at anyone else.

Maybe you shouldn't live in the past and wake up. 2557 55555, And you are a half thai?

I'm pretty sure that no one will care what someone who thinks that this year is 2557 in Thailand thinks about anything.

Maybe you should go and find a way to be better informed before you have a go at anyone else.

you are so right. I'm so embarrassed I had a typo. You could have been nice and correct it though