Transfer options CNX <--> Nimman

baywatch82

Hi !
I am writing a guidebook for my tenants coming to Chiang Mai and staying at my room via airbnb. They are always asking me for advice how to get from the Airport to Nimmanhemin.

I can count 5 options.

Please let me know if you know anything more and better options :

1. Taxi - most recommended - 160 baht per car

2. Red car - about 100baht per person, or less if more people travel and pay per person

3. Tuk Tuk - anything from 100 baht to 300 baht

4. Shuttle bus - 40 baht, but need to wait until it gets full, or 300 baht for a van

5. Grab taxi app - estimated fare 65-100 baht + 20 baht booking fee

I guess return option would be the same, excluding shuttle bus.

Thanks,

Greg

Now that is interesting. I never would have thought traveling a few kilometers from an airport would be that complex. And it is certain to become more complex soon.

I'd tell them to take a cab, if they are asking the other options are too complicated.

This kind of thing is illegal under Thai law, airbnb is same as if you run a hotel. Do you have such license and report the stays of aliens as required? Are you paying Tax?

I know many "Farnungs" rent out properties casually and not such a big deal but the locals are pretty sharp about monitoring social media and IP , and right now as you may have noticed some rather undemocratic Chaps are running things.

I would not want to be the guy who they decide to make an example of. For your guide the Songthaews from Nimman usually ask for 120 to go to the airport but one can bargain easily to 100/80.

From the airport to Nimman the real cheepos should pull their bag out to the street heading to Airport Plaza where you could get one for even less. I once tested my luck and just got on. The driver went down the road turned on Suthep of course, picked up another lady in front of the big Hospital. I got off on Nimman handed him a 20. Nothing but big smiles.

Edited by arunsakda

This kind of thing is illegal under Thai law, airbnb is same as if you run a hotel. Do you have such license and report the stays of aliens as required? Are you paying Tax?

I know many "Farnungs" rent out properties casually and not such a big deal but the locals are pretty sharp about monitoring social media and IP , and right now as you may have noticed some rather undemocratic Chaps are running things.

I would not want to be the guy who they decide to make an example of. For your guide the Songthaew from Nimman ask for 120 to go to the airport but one can bargain easily to 100. From the airport to Nimman the real cheepos should pull their bag out to the street heading to Airport Plaza where you could get one for even less

He is safe i would say until the powers that be draw their attention to the subject .(they have yet to but are already targeting grab a cab etc ) .In Ireland and England airbnb operators are now liable for a 50 % tax ,so its not so attractive .

I would not want to be the guy who they decide to make an example of. For your guide the Songthaew from Nimman ask for 120 to go to the airport but one can bargain easily to 100. From the airport to Nimman the real cheepos should pull their bag out to the street heading to Airport Plaza where you could get one for even less

This is non of your business, and not subject of this post. And about Cheepos - you must be the one who made that trip.

Edited by baywatch82

Grab Taxi is not legally allowed at the airport and probably best avoided. For a first time visitor - get a taxi from the stand which fixes the price before you travel. That's a $5 journey... not exactly a bank breaker (and if it is, they should have stayed at home).

This is non of your business, and not subject of this post. And about Cheepos - you must be the one who made that trip.

I used to do that but usually I have a driver from Thailand Elite waiting. Other times when I have not bothered to make reservsations I take the taxi. (Except Friday evenings and Holidays when the Taxi rank can be 30 minutes long because they have no cars. In that case there is always a songthaew dropping somebody off at departure happy to pick up a fare.

Best of luck with your illegal activities in Thailand, peace - arunsakda

Edited by arunsakda

Please note, that I was not asking about options for cheepos, so please save yourself unnecessary comments.

I just want to list all available options, and present them to interested people. It is their choice and I don't know who they are.

I would just keep the first three options on your list. The official airport taxi being the easiest and not very expensive. The other two are hotter and more uncomfortable whilst they get stuck in possible gridlock traffic.

This is non of your business, and not subject of this post. And about Cheepos - you must be the one who made that trip.[/quote)

You put it on a public forum and it is anybody's business. A rather stupid inquiry anyway.

You put it on a public forum and it is anybody's business. A rather stupid inquiry anyway.

Just stick to the subject can you ? I wish I can go back and remove "airbnb" word from my first post.

Edited by baywatch82

Just stick to the subject can you ? I wish I can go back and remove "airbnb" word from my first post.

No, that is not the way this forum works.

Some slight corrections, all in my huble opinion of course:

> 1. Taxi - most recommended - 160 baht per car

I agree this is most recommended.

Pro tip: Make a map in Thai script that shows exactly where you place is. Guests can then print it and show to the driver. Takes a lot of uncertainty out of things. Also include your phone number just in case.

> 2. Red car - about 100baht per person, or less if more people travel and pay per person

Red cars are not ever 100 baht _per person_. They can and do readily ask for 100 baht, but that would be irrespective of the number of people travelling. That makes it not a bad option, especially during the day when red buses frequently drive past. (80 baht or so also possible, but these will be newbie guests so best to give an amount that's more likely to just get accepted without further discussion, and is still fair to your guests.

> 3. Tuk Tuk - anything from 100 baht to 300 baht

Tuk tuks are not ever 300 baht unless it's something crazy like during Songkran. Here too, 100 baht is a good number. (Not saying there aren't crazies out there asking for 300 baht but those can go #$(*& themselves.)

> 4. Shuttle bus - 40 baht, but need to wait until it gets full, or 300 baht for a van

Yeah, wouldn't bother really. However, as meter taxis tend to be at the Domestic end of the terminal and these shuttle vans are right outside at International, it may be an option for international arrivals.

> 5. Grab taxi app - estimated fare 65-100 baht + 20 baht booking fee

Don't bother.

Final Pro Tip: You could also offer to pick people up at the airport. I'd do this especially if your place didn't have a reception desk or someone else there who can explain the basics to guests. In a Condo with reception though it's best to pay Reception some money to hand out keys, or even take them to the room and explain some basics.

Final Final Pro Tip: You do actually need to file TM30 records on guests. And especially if they're international arrivals who will be putting your address on the arrival card.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I don't know why you would bother telling them anything other than airport taxis, they are reasonably cheap and the simplest option. I'd simply recommend that and forget about it.

They asking me before they arrive. That's why

So tell them to use airport taxis and tell them it isn't worth bothering with anything else because they are cheap and the simplest option.

blink.png

Yes, and especially if you or someone else has to be there to wait for them.. They'd be wasting your time too while exploring Chiang Mai's more exotic transport options, and then you sit there wondering if/when they'll make it there.

( Also if they're so cheap to want to save 60 baht then you should probably raise prices and get people less fussed about money. ;) )

I am not required to pick up anyone from the airport, and so far nobody requested that from me.
Also I have check in procedure, that does not require me to be there personally.
I had about 20 travellers so far and only good reviews (except 1 from chinese people).

This is very frequently asked questions from the people before they arrive to Chiang Mai : how to get there to my place ? Is there public transport available ?

I can not say that taxi is the only option, because somebody will see shuttle bus for 40 baht and will give me a bad review.
Of course I recommend them that taxi is the best option, but I need to be honest with them about other options also.

How to get to the airport other than red car or tuk tuk ? Is there any phone number available to call taxi with some decent english ? From Airport to Nimman is 160baht. Is it going to be the same to return ?

I don't know why you would bother telling them anything other than airport taxis, they are reasonably cheap and the simplest option. I'd simply recommend that and forget about it.

They asking me before they arrive. That's why

Geez man, aren't they bringing any luggage?

Chill out and just say 'cab'.

I am not required to pick up anyone from the airport, and so far nobody requested that from me.

Also I have check in procedure, that does not require me to be there personally.

I had about 20 travellers so far and only good reviews (except 1 from chinese people).

This is very frequently asked questions from the people before they arrive to Chiang Mai : how to get there to my place ? Is there public transport available ?

I can not say that taxi is the only option, because somebody will see shuttle bus for 40 baht and will give me a bad review.

Of course I recommend them that taxi is the best option, but I need to be honest with them about other options also.

How to get to the airport other than red car or tuk tuk ? Is there any phone number available to call taxi with some decent english ? From Airport to Nimman is 160baht. Is it going to be the same to return ?

"This is very frequently asked questions from the people before they arrive to Chiang Mai : how to get there to my place ?"

If it's"very frequent" then I would imagine you have a lot of experience at answering them?

Then just say that there are other options like shuttle bus for Bt40 but they aren't worth it because you'll get pissed about, etc.

You are overthinking this.

There are two types of taxis operating at the exit of International flights.

The group standing outside the door have a van, and charge each passenger 40baht, and they wait until the van is full.

A quicker service and no problems if you have some large suitcases, is to go to the kiosk near the exit door, and it's clearly marked 'TAXIS". The cost to Nimman is 160baht. They issue you with a docket and the price, and you pay (and tip) the driver on arrival.

There are two types of taxis operating at the exit of International flights.

The group standing outside the door have a van, and charge each passenger 40baht, and they wait until the van is full.

A quicker service and no problems if you have some large suitcases, is to go to the kiosk near the exit door, and it's clearly marked 'TAXIS". The cost to Nimman is 160baht. They issue you with a docket and the price, and you pay (and tip) the driver on arrival.

Forget all other ways and heed the above advice.