Lao workers return home celebrating Songkran as Thai immigration rule relaxes

webfact

Lao workers return home celebrating Songkran as immigration rule relaxes

BUENG KAN, 12 April 2016 (NNT) – Migrant workers from Laos employed in Thailand have begun to travel home to celebrate the Songkran holidays with their families, as immigration regulations have been temporarily relaxed under the use of Article 44 by the Prime Minister.

Migrant workers from Laos in Bueng Kan Province has begun to cross the border at Bueng Kan Border Checkpoint back to their hometowns to spend the Songkran holidays with their families.

Migrant workers from Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia, are now allowed to travel back home in a special permit through the use of Article 44 by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, allowing eligible workers to return home, before returning to Thailand no later than 20 April 2016.

This permit has been issued as Songkran festival is also celebrated in the Kingdom's neighboring countries, and the measure is expected to help boost Thailand's positive image to migrant worker employment.

Merchants from Laos have also crossed the border into Thailand to purchase goods before reselling them in Laos during the festival, which is expected to generate a cash flow of 20 million baht. Security officials have been station on high alert to prevent the smuggling of illegal items into the Kingdom.

Songkran festival is celebrated in Laos as the Lao New Year, in an almost identical manner to how Songkran is considered Thailand's New Year celebrations.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-12 footer_n.gif

I have only ever been through the Nong Khai border point which since the Junta took over has been very strict in implimenting greater controls.

Glad to see they have made an exception for the migrant workers in this case to allow them to celebrate with family and friends back in their home country without affecting their visa conditions or requiring a new visa to be issued upon re-entry.

Well done and safe holidays to all migrant workers.

I have only ever been through the Nong Khai border point which since the Junta took over has been very strict in implimenting greater controls.

Glad to see they have made an exception for the migrant workers in this case to allow them to celebrate with family and friends back in their home country without affecting their visa conditions or requiring a new visa to be issued upon re-entry.

The act of a benevolent junta?

Are these workers normally prohibited or otherwise controlled from going home? I don't know.

In the Middle East, the Arabs lord over the low classes of imported labor. Although it's illegal, passports are held in a safe by company management. If coordinated and approved in advance, the passport is returned, most often just before the employee heads to the airport.

Someone update me here please....aren't they supposed to be able to freely travel now anyway due to ASEAN in effect? I'm certainly missing something here to understand it.

There is no freedom of movement of labour under the AEC (ASEAN Economic Community). There is, in theory only, easier movement for a short list of professions, however many ASEAN countries, including Thailand, have blocked even these limited rights with administrative measures (e.g. licensing requirements where the licensing examination is available only in the Thai language). EU-style freedom of movement is decades away and some might argue that it will never happen.

Except that it should have been announced 2-4 weeks ago, not a few hours before the holiday begins. Most migrant workers, such as many in the factories i know, have purchased the re-entry permits (for 1600 Baht??), booked bus/train and applied leave at least a month ago. This announcement will not benefit them.

Someone update me here please....aren't they supposed to be able to freely travel now anyway due to ASEAN in effect? I'm certainly missing something here to understand it.

No.

Don't know where you got that idea from. ASEAN/AEC has changed NOTHING.

Lao citizens get 30-days visa free on arrival in Thailand, those on migrant labour visas can stay 1-2 years at a time, but have strict conditions on travel. They aren't free to travel around the country or across the border like the rest of us are (Thais and third country foreigners).

They've barely become any stricter. For a few weeks in 2014 a bored soldier used to peer inside your car as you were entering or re-entering Thailand, but never upon leaving.

Now you could smuggle anything across the border in either direction as no one will check your vehicle - I've been across the 1st Friendship 10 times (8 times entering Thailand and 2 times leaving). The Lao side is more likely to inspect your vehicle than the Thai side (strange, considering how much richer and more developed Thailand is) but even they won't make more than a cursory inspection and never upon leaving, only entering their country.

Also, no one inspects your passport to make sure it's been stamped correctly on the Thai side. They do tend to do so on the Lao side though.

There is no freedom of movement of labour under the AEC (ASEAN Economic Community). There is, in theory only, easier movement for a short list of professions, however many ASEAN countries, including Thailand, have blocked even these limited rights with administrative measures (e.g. licensing requirements where the licensing examination is available only in the Thai language). EU-style freedom of movement is decades away and some might argue that it will never happen.

Thank you for that clarification.

Don't know where you got that idea from. ASEAN/AEC has changed NOTHING.

That's precisely why I added the "supposedly" into my statement. As I haven't been bothered to actually read up on the ASEAN package and what it's supposed to be all about as a whole, I only ever heared about how "great and beneficial" ASEAN is going to be and how it's going to be making everything easier across these borders, while still knowing that the amazing Hub of Everything is backwards as hell.