Thailand starts Songkran celebrations with funs and happiness

webfact

Nation starts Songkran celebrations with funs and happiness

209_Songkran-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand officially kicked off its traditional Songkran water festival this morning with government authorities throughout the country joining local people offering alms to monks at temples and government offices as a merit making.

Not only it is the Thai traditional New Year today, it is also the national day of the aged and the family reunion day.

In Bangkok, the governor MR Sukhumbhan Paribatra led city officials and members of the public to offer alms to monks at Sanam Luang.

The sacred Buddha image, Buddhasuhing, was brought out from the National Museum to Sanam Luang for people to sprinkle lustral water.

After the religious activities, the time for “water battle” will begin.

Although the country faces the worst water crisis in 20 years, many places continued the water battles with funs but sparingly.

One of the most popular locations to celebrate the Songkran Festival in the Thai northern region is Chiang Mai province, where the celebrations atmosphere in the first day of Songkran yesterday was active but water splashing was clearly on a conservation way.

This year, Chiang Mai not only celebrated the water festival but also it’s 720th anniversary of the establishment of Chiang Mai city.

At Pratu Tha Pae, in the heart of Chiang Mai city, a large crowd of tourists has already made their forts to start the water splashing fun yesterday.

Foreign tourists equipped with their own water gun, instead of the usual use of water tanks to fill up water from the local moat to splash water on each other. ”

Chiang Mai celebrated the first day of Songkran yesterday but the water splashing actions around the city moat have changed.

One reason is probably because the water level in the moat is quite low, whereas the government has been promoting the use of water wisely during Songkran this year, which prompted less tourists to stick around the moat to join the fun and opt to use their water guns and walk along the streets to shoot water at other people instead.

But in the far south, celebration of Songkran was even more active despite of security problem, particularly in Hat Yai.

Hat Yai held ‘Midnight Songkran’ event, where the water splashing fun will last until midnight tomorrow night.

President of Songkhla Tourism Industry Association Surapol Khampalanonwat said although a bomb attack was reported in the nearby Jana district of Songkhla, it did not hamper the celebrations atmosphere ahead of the Midnight Songkran event, which would official kick off yesterday evening.

He said Hat Yai is expecting over 200 million baht to be generated during the event alone.

The holiday atmosphere in Hat Yai went in full swing last night as local people and foreign tourists joined together in a water fight to celebrate the Songkran festival.

They were also seen dancing to music and enjoying foam parties after the Midnight Songkran was opened at 8 pm last night.

Hat Yai celebrates Songkran event from April 11-13 featuring stage activities, as well as the biggest carnival parade in the country, where visitors would get to see a caravan of beautifully decorated trailers, ballroom dance by 100 couples, sea boxing match and Miss Tourism Pageant contest where the winner could take home the highest prize money of 30,000 baht.

The event has brought back life and colours to the town after it has been affected by the dwindling Malaysian tourists and the recent bombing in Jana district.

A local tourism operator said they are expecting about 50,000 visitors, both Thai and foreigners, to arrive into the city.

Midnight Songkran will continue until midnight today.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/159400

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-13

116 people dead on the roads, nearly double last years first two days! Thank the government and police for their help in making this another record breaking year!

Welcome to fun and happiness land!

116 people dead on the roads, nearly double last years first two days! Thank the government and police for their help in making this another record breaking year!

Welcome to fun and happiness land!

Madness when 52 people were killed and 431 injured in 387 road accidents yesterday.. New records this year for sure anyway am staying in doors safest option to be fair..

Oh how I hate this silly, dangerous nonsense.

I feel like a grumpy old man but I dont want to be splashed with water while riding my motorbike, its uncomfortable and unsafe and just an inconvenience.

On top of that everything is closed.

Glad other people are enjoying themselves though.

I feel like a grumpy old man but I dont want to be splashed with water while riding my motorbike, its uncomfortable and unsafe and just an inconvenience.

Splashed I can handle, but a full force bucket of water, about 3 kilos worth catapulted into my face from a moving vehicle going the opposite way with a combined speed of 40 kph approximately = deadly.

I stay in, stock up on groceries to get me through the week.

Splashed I can handle, but a full force bucket of water, about 3 kilos worth catapulted into my face from a moving vehicle going the opposite way with a combined speed of 40 kph approximately = deadly.

Yeah your right.

Im staying in too. Eating noodles and watching tv. Living the dream!

Yeah your right.

Im staying in too. Eating noodles and watching tv. Living the dream!

I've got a huge pot of marinara sauce simmering, which I can feed off for days. Am by the pool with a nice cocktail Later I'll watch a movie or two, and here I will remain for 5 days. Not a bad dream at all.

Use water sparingly???...please explain this to me as it looks no different than any other year

I would have to agree. Water pouring out of hoses pumped from the Wells here in the South. I was surprised though to see one man standing just before the barrage of attacks holding a sign about conserving water. As pointless as it was considering what followed it was at least an effort.

I am curious though about Songkran at koasan road and silom. Does anyone have a real report about there?

Nation starts Songkran celebrations with funs and happiness

Never knew there were multiples of fun. I guess only in Thailand can one find more than one fun. I would have expected 'happinesses' as well.

I think it was a spelling mistake it should read "fans" not "funs". But when I look at the photo in the article I see the junta fans but no happiness (not one person smiling). In our area it was a very subdued affair, very few people out celebrating compared to the past and those out was going through the motions rather than having all out fun. Must however say that most people scaled down on water use.

Yes many places are currently CLOSE and you can eat in restaurants selling Foods and now we are having funs....!

Not if you are splattered like a soft tomato on the road you aint...(are not)

Callous must be the only word to suit here. It is supposed to be a family holiday time. If every Bank Holiday in Europe ended up with relatives, neighbours, friends dead, on life support or maimed for life, I think we would take a step back and just think a bit about what the fricking hell we are doing here ... would you not ?

It just takes a several people to be killed in a major incident in the west for a whole nation to have a day of mourning or a minutes silence...here.. Hey open another bottle of poison with a label on it that insults the very word Whisky !!! and party on we have 6 more days to go....

I think it was a spelling mistake it should read "fans" not "funs". But when I look at the photo in the article I see the junta fans but no happiness (not one person smiling). In our area it was a very subdued affair, very few people out celebrating compared to the past and those out was going through the motions rather than having all out fun. Must however say that most people scaled down on water use.

The T/W and I went back to her village today to attend the temple supported by her family and later to observe/join in the festivities as we have done for the last six years. Normally, the temple is full to overflowing for the first day of the festival, but not today. I was surprised by how few people attended. From comments made by people in the village, the other local temples were not well attended either.

The village holds a parade on the first day of the festival that eventually arrives at the temple about 100 metres from the T/W's family home, albeit not the temple they support. I have observed/participated in this event every year for the last six years, Although the parade seemed to be smaller than in previous years, what marked this event as being different was not its size, but the absence of joie de vivre. The people in the parade just did not look as if they were enjoying themselves.The throwing of water was also much lower key than in previous years. As Southernstar said, it looked like they were going through the motions.

The T/W's family home is opposite the busiest shop in the village. The shop was doing a brisk trade all day, but what struck me compared to previous years was the lack of sales of spirits. Plenty of Spy, beer, Coke and Fanta being sold, but no blended spirits, Thai rum, or Thai brandy (and consequently no bottles of soda water). That is unusual as the locals like their Song Bhert Hah and soda water. Although there were a few very inebriated people, they are the same folk who get very inebriated whatever the occasion, there seemed to be much less money being spent this year than in previous years. Perhaps it was the lack of money that took the shine off the occasion this year.