Tourist Visa troubles in Phnom Pen due to overstay

I was refused a tourist visa because I still had a valid non-b. But the woman also said I had overstayed before and now needed an onward ticket to my home country and a bank statement. Anybody else get this treatment recently? Is this something new happening at the Thai embassy in Phnom Pen?

• If you can't provide what they want you could try another Embassy/Consulate as they all have their own individual rules.
  • I would imagine it's the overstay they are not happy about as they could easily cancel the non 'B' before issuing the tourist visa.

In the wonderful world of Thai bureaucracy, every official has his or her own interpretation of how the rules apply. A different day at the same Embassy might get you a more sympathetic official, or this policy could apply to all the staff at the PP Embassy, in which case you should try another Embassy - Vientiane or Savannakhet seem to be where all the folk here go for their tourist visas.

• Like 2

Well they have been fussy with overstays for a while.Last time I applied through an agency from Sihanouhkville,they went through my passport several times.When I asked what they were looking for they said overstays,as embassy tends to refuse visa applications from people with overstays in their passports.So avoid PP if you have any.

2 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Well they have been fussy with overstays for a while.Last time I applied through an agency from Sihanouhkville,they went through my passport several times.When I asked what they were looking for they said overstays,as embassy tends to refuse visa applications from people with overstays in their passports.So avoid PP if you have any.

I can corroborate this - visited 2 agents and went with Lucky.  Both were happy I had no overstays and did ask.  The first guy (close to the guesthouse) was calling someone on the phone, repeatedly, to check different options, so I went to Lucky instead (who know what they are doing - and maybe he was calling Lucky).  I had the option of either ticket-out or bank statements.  I provided bank-statements; they will call me if the consulate wants a ticket, as well.  I'm going to be here for a week anyway, so did not go for "rush" service.

20 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I can corroborate this - visited 2 agents and went with Lucky.  Both were happy I had no overstays and did ask.  The first guy (close to the guesthouse) was calling someone on the phone, repeatedly, to check different options, so I went to Lucky instead (who know what they are doing - and maybe he was calling Lucky).  I had the option of either ticket-out or bank statements.  I provided bank-statements; they will call me if the consulate wants a ticket, as well.  I'm going to be here for a week anyway, so did not go for "rush" service.

I don't know Lucky. But I went to the place that most people here recommend. Riverside, a place right next to Paddy Bar (or something like that). Around the corner from the Red Light district (I found that out when I had to go and  make passport photos, yeah really, lol). Anyways, he said he never had that problem before.

Would you provide a bank statement from your home country? I'm thinking me providing a bank statement from a Thai bank is just going to arouse their suspicions of me working without a work permit (if that's indeed going to be the case).

Please keep us posted.

He also provided a plane ticket back to my home country that was only a reservation (not having the ticket number on it), and they refused that. He did mention he could create an actual ticket, then cancel that for a fee of around 20 USD. But it wasn't clear whether I would have to present that ticket on arrival at the airport in Bangkok. Most likely not. 

3 hours ago, manutfarang said:

I don't know Lucky. ..

Apologies - I mean "Lucky Lucky Motorcycle Shop" - they have a well-known visa-services office which handles visas for many countries, including Thailand.

Would you provide a bank statement from your home country? I'm thinking me providing a bank statement from a Thai bank is just going to arouse their suspicions of me working without a work permit (if that's indeed going to be the case).

My Thai bank statement shows all money coming in from foreign-transfers.  It is the best proof I have *not* working in Thailand - though it is hard to prove a negative.

Edited by JackThompson
more

He also provided a plane ticket back to my home country that was only a reservation (not having the ticket number on it), and they refused that. He did mention he could create an actual ticket, then cancel that for a fee of around 20 USD. But it wasn't clear whether I would have to present that ticket on arrival at the airport in Bangkok. Most likely not. 

If going the 'rent a ticket' route, there is "Fly Onward" which is only $10 - but not sure if it would remain valid during Phnom Pehn's longer approval process.  If you are going to pay $20, might as well pay ~$30 and get a "for keeps" ticket, which you can show at the airport and be verified as "valid."

Whether you will need the ticket at the airport on entry may depend on whether the computer blocks the IO from processing you without questions.

• Like 1