Ko Samet

nevcross

I haven't been to Samet for a long time- intend going around 20/23 december any suggestions re clean, presentable accomodation 500/1000b, recommended beaches? Thanks

Hmmm...it will be packed !

Better 'Google' a bit. Be prepared the prices are high during the holidays as many Thai from BKK go to Samet as well !

You better prebook.

LaoPo

I haven't been to Samet for a long time- intend going around 20/23 december any suggestions re clean, presentable accomodation 500/1000b, recommended beaches? Thanks

Hmmm...it will be packed !

Better 'Google' a bit. Be prepared the prices are high during the holidays as many Thai from BKK go to Samet as well !

You better prebook.

LaoPo

Not true.

Just go, Thais going there return the same day. I was there a week after the tsunami hit Phuket, many tourists were rerouted and still accommodation a plenty.

For the price range, I am not sure..could be more like Koh Chang.

The beaches? Silver Sand beach is the biggest one...if you want something more secluded you will have jet skis and their exausts right up your nose.

Good for a day trip when you know it's behind you. Bloody jet skis.

Koh Samet - only for a day.

Thais going there return the same day.

No they don't, most stay for at least one night, usually over the weekend. Definitely worth booking if you're looking at the 1000 Baht price range, especially during that time.

It's a very nice island, although a bit over developed in some places. Try Samed Villa, I've stayed there and it's a very nice place which is a good balance between being close to the action but not so close that it intrudes on your peace and quiet if you want to relax sometimes. Web address is http://www.samedvilla.com/

I usually stay at Jeb's Resort @ Ao Phai Beach (just after White Sand beach). Rooms are about 1500 B/night nice, clean, with aircon.. IMO, Restaurant food @their restaurant is the best in the island.

You can contact them at 081-8533121.

Enjoy! :o

Ao Phai Beach

This is the same beach as the one I mentioned is on, Samed Villa. I think it is the best beach to be based on: there are some nice resorts on the west coast but it is too quiet over there for my liking and the beach isn't as good. Sai Kaew beach is another popular beach but it is probably too popular! Can be too crowded at peak times. Ao Phai srtikes a good balance between having enough going on and ebnough to do, without being over-ran with too many other people.

Au Tubtim is a nice spot. it's the next beach down from Au Phai and has 2 bungalow operations both within your budget Pudsa Bungalows start at B600, they're small simple clean have a nice veranda and if you can bag one of the bungalows on the sea front your laughin' Tubtim Bungalows start at B500 and are great if you like a more natural experience, the spacious wooden bungalows are all built close to the sea but some have great views of the beach others are obscured by trees.