Calling all Cheeseheads - Cheese Making in Thailand

PhuketFarang

Making cheese here in Thailand is easier than you think.  The hardest part is finding cheese making essentials. 

Now you can get everything from Rennet to Calcium Chloride to make your favorite cheese at http://ThaiArtisanFoods.com 

And to get you started, grab the wonderful eBook:  Cheesemaking for the Rest of Us for FREE!  This book is filled with great tips and recipes.  And did I mention that it's FREE?

http://ThaiArtisanFoods.com also has a growing list of cheese recipes online for you to check out.

So if you miss cheeses that are hard, or even impossible to find in Thailand such as Mysost or Queso Fresco, just make your own!  Not only does it cost a LOT less, it will taste 1000% better than store bought cheese.

Making cheese here in Thailand is easier than you think.

No it isn't, it's more than difficult!

The mayor problem: From where do you get decent, fresh and unpasteurized milk?
All the "great ingredients or books or tips or ads" can't help you, if one can only source the usual pasteurized milk stuff.

Second: for the most cheeses you will need a ripening room with a constant temperature, humidity and ventilation.

And not forget: A lot of experience

Mission impossible, at least for the average home user

Edited by retoocs01

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 10:11 PM, retoocs01 said:

All the "great ingredients or books or tips or ads" can't help you, if one can only source the usual pasteurized milk stuff.

Second: for the most cheeses you will need a ripening room with a constant temperature, humidity and ventilation.

Obviously you have zero knowledge on cheese making, but still decided to shoot your mouth off!

Cheese is easily made in Thailand. You don't need  unpasteurized milk at all. Un homogenized milk where rennet is used, calcium chloride is usually added. 

Milk that is uht variety,  cheese can easily be made by just adding any acid ie vinegar,  lemon,  will make paneer cottage cheese.  

There's lots of cheeses that can be eaten immediately and don't need to sit in a cheese cave, but also some cheese being stored in a fridge is fine such as a camembert. 

Making cheese is really quite basic,  not hard at all so not sure where you seem to think it's difficult? I suspect you've never tried. 

Edited by upside
added

I've also made a few here and I use a wine fridge for aging. Lots of different techniques can be applied here using local milk. What I do know is I'm much happier making my own cheese without all the cheap crap filler they now use in the overly priced stuff we buy here.

Its great to have a local source for supplies - I'll be ordering shortly.

Perhaps we could share some tips ? for the others to learn.

8 hours ago, upside said:

Cheese is easily made in Thailand. You don't need  unpasteurized milk at all.

True, but I think you will get more flavour from unpasteurised milk. That certainly tends to apply to the best French cheeses.

I think that milk is expensive here, though apparently there is a place near Chiang Mai zoo that sells cheap milk, but that's not very practical for anyone who lives in Jomtien as I do. Here it's big bottles of brand name milk, at 90+B for 2 litres or slightly less in the 5 litre bottles.

And unpasteurized cheese is great. When was the last time anybody here ate any?

And how much did it cost?

For me I would love to expand my cheese making enterprise.  Which is currently limited to paneer and ricotta.

Along the same lines....how about figuring out curing salt.

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

True, but I think you will get more flavour from unpasteurised milk. That certainly tends to apply to the best French cheeses.

I think that milk is expensive here, though apparently there is a place near Chiang Mai zoo that sells cheap milk, but that's not very practical for anyone who lives in Jomtien as I do. Here it's big bottles of brand name milk, at 90+B for 2 litres or slightly less in the 5 litre bottles.

I'm sure Google will serve you well in searching for a milk source. If it's too expensive,  then simple,  don't make cheese or don't buy milk! 

11 hours ago, NickJ said:

And unpasteurized cheese is great. When was the last time anybody here ate any?

And how much did it cost?

For me I would love to expand my cheese making enterprise.  Which is currently limited to paneer and ricotta.

Along the same lines....how about figuring out curing salt.

Not hard to figure that. Any salt that isn't iodized is fine for curing or rubbing or adding to cheese. 

On 1.10.2016 at 6:24 AM, upside said:

Making cheese is really quite basic,  not hard at all so not sure where you seem to think it's difficult? I suspect you've never tried. 

You should be a little bit careful with your assumptions...even if you want to "protect a business"...

Cheese making is no black magic, if...yes if one can source good ( preferably) raw milk.

I have all the necessary ingredients, like Calcium-Chloride, Rennet, mesophilic starter cultures, etc.pp.

But with all the shop bought milk here, I was never able to get a decent, firm curd, suitable for hard-cheese, like Gouda, Edamer, etc. or even a half-decent Camembert.

Just firm enough for Cream cheese or cottage style cheese...if you really want this.

If you interested, why you need good milk, read here (especially: "I am not getting curds")

http://www.cheesemaking.com/learn/faq/curds-and-whey.html

And here about cheese making in Thailand, incl. where to get usable milk from:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/board,143.0.html?PHPSESSID=d7ac6a411348bbbd3c65423f36a9511b

You can get good raw milk from here (commercial use), but they don't sell them in single bottles:

http://www.coopthai.com/banbuang/cont.html

Finally I gave up, because it was too problematic to get usable milk which produces real cheese, apart from the creamy ones or quark.

So if anybody knows a source for unpasteurized or raw milk in the Pattaya, CB, Rayong area, please post her.

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2016 at 7:41 PM, retoocs01 said:

Plenty of dairy farms in Thailand sell raw milk. We have a dairy goat farm but don't produce enough to make cheese.

You do not need a "ripening room" per say. Cheese can be aged or ripened by many methods as long as the temperature is within the proper range. We purchased a Wine Cooler that has an adjustable temperature. It is the perfect range for cheese maturation.

I have no experience in making cheese but was able to make an edible farmhouse cheddar & soft goat cheese on my first try. Experience comes with actual action.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PhuketFarang said:

Cheese I've made with store bought milk in Thailand:.  Not including all the cream cheese and queso fresco I constantly make.    And all super easy to make.

20160721_083618.jpg

20160721_083658.jpg

20160730_175031.jpg

20160811_092330 (1).jpg

20160823_074848.jpg

20160923_100348.jpg

20161005_095303 (1).jpg

20161020_061358.jpg

20161130_151409.jpg

Looks delicious. Any teaching advice.

Happy and safe New Year

19 hours ago, d123 said:

Looks delicious. Any teaching advice.

Happy and safe New Year

Start with almost foolproof cheese like cream cheese.  It's a good staple cheese that you can use in many ways.  My favorite is to make oreo crust cheese cake.  YUM!  Thebn pick your favorite cheese, find a good recipe either written or on YouTube, and work for that one.  The 2 I make that has an aging period are brie and blue cheese.  Easy to make but I just hate waiting for a month or more for a cheese to be ripe.  ugh.

On 30/12/2016 at 11:04 AM, PhuketFarang said:

Cheese I've made with store bought milk in Thailand:.  Not including all the cream cheese and queso fresco I constantly make.    And all super easy to make.

They look good, but how much does 1kg of cheese cost if you are using store-bought milk here?

Op is this your website and are you just looking to get free advertising?

someone who uses bleached white paper and ink for labels and put directly on Cheese should not be giving advice on cheesemaking.

Also you are not making riccotta if you are just adding acetic or citric acid to milk. Riccotta is made from left over whey from making mozzarella.  yes, it kind of works if you like flavorless milky crumbs. I do make it from time to time if I am in a pinch but I don't go giving people teaching lessons on how to make subpar products.

First of all, whole natural milk is available in every single major province.  In CM there are 2 universities that sell it for less than 15 baht a liter.  Second getting the right bacteria is also available here usually through the agricultural department at universities.  But you could also order from cheese manufacturers abroad at reduce your cost by 30%. 

Please join a cheese forum with professional and stop using online or youtube recipes for making cheese. Without proper sterilization and precise techniques you could easily screw up and hurt your family.  I know there are a lot of small time cheesemakers and meat curers but there are plenty of recipes out there that are just wrong and dangerous. 

Mozzarella is made with liapse powder and thermophilic culture, the citric acid 30 minute recipes are tough and flavorless. Why spend so much energy making an inferior product? You can fool yourself to think that homemade is better than commercial but it really isn't. At least they are kept to a standard for sterilization and a precise recipe that is tested.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 1:41 PM, zeichen said:

Op is this your website and are you just looking to get free advertising?

someone who uses bleached white paper and ink for labels and put directly on Cheese should not be giving advice on cheesemaking.

Also you are not making riccotta if you are just adding acetic or citric acid to milk. Riccotta is made from left over whey from making mozzarella.  yes, it kind of works if you like flavorless milky crumbs. I do make it from time to time if I am in a pinch but I don't go giving people teaching lessons on how to make subpar products.

First of all, whole natural milk is available in every single major province.  In CM there are 2 universities that sell it for less than 15 baht a liter.  Second getting the right bacteria is also available here usually through the agricultural department at universities.  But you could also order from cheese manufacturers abroad at reduce your cost by 30%. 

Please join a cheese forum with professional and stop using online or youtube recipes for making cheese. Without proper sterilization and precise techniques you could easily screw up and hurt your family.  I know there are a lot of small time cheesemakers and meat curers but there are plenty of recipes out there that are just wrong and dangerous. 

Sorry, but you have incorrect information on all accounts.  First, the label is not directly on the cheese, it's on several layers of wax.  Second, there are several methods of making ricotta.  You can choose your favorite.  You can get help if you join a couple of professional cheese making groups instead of making ASSumptions.  I can steer you to a few.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 1:03 PM, KittenKong said:

They look good, but how much does 1kg of cheese cost if you are using store-bought milk here?

Most cheeses you make can yield 1kg or more with a 5 liter bottle.  Most of the cheeses you see are from that much milk.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 1:47 PM, zeichen said:

Mozzarella is made with liapse powder and thermophilic culture, the citric acid 30 minute recipes are tough and flavorless. Why spend so much energy making an inferior product? You can fool yourself to think that homemade is better than commercial but it really isn't. At least they are kept to a standard for sterilization and a precise recipe that is tested.

Have you ever made edible cheese?  Doesn't sound like it if you prefer commercially processed cheese over anything you make.  Maybe you should practice more or join a professional cheese making group for advise instead of making such silly statements.

Edited by PhuketFarang

On 1/3/2017 at 4:17 AM, PhuketFarang said:

Have you ever made edible cheese?  Doesn't sound like it if you prefer commercially processed cheese over anything you make.  Maybe you should practice more or join a professional cheese making group for advise instead of making such silly statements.

haha.  I grew up on a dairy. So yes, I think that I know how to make cheese. We make commercial products in the US, so I am certain, I might know a little more than a google warrior like yourself. Good luck in life. Hope you don't poison your friends.

FYI. I actually have been trained and attended very professional dairies in America. So stick your assumptions up your own. 

Your products look inferior and subpar. Your google knowledge is just that.  So instead of giving others advice go get licensed as a dairy before you accidentally kill someone with your lack of knowledge.  Yes, botulism is quite possible if you make mistakes and it looks like you don't use proper sterilized environments.

On 1/3/2017 at 4:10 AM, PhuketFarang said:

Second, there are several methods of making ricotta.

Do you actually know what the word ricotta means?  No, there aren't several methods for making ricotta. There is the one true method and then there are some fast and easy methods for people who don't have taste buds or know how to do anything. 

2 hours ago, zeichen said:

haha.  I grew up on a dairy. So yes, I think that I know how to make cheese. We make commercial products in the US, so I am certain, I might know a little more than a google warrior like yourself. Good luck in life. Hope you don't poison your friends.

FYI. I actually have been trained and attended very professional dairies in America. So stick your assumptions up your own. 

Your products look inferior and subpar. Your google knowledge is just that.  So instead of giving others advice go get licensed as a dairy before you accidentally kill someone with your lack of knowledge.  Yes, botulism is quite possible if you make mistakes and it looks like you don't use proper sterilized environments.

This coming from a man who has failed so miserably at making cheese, he gives up! 555555!!!! 

I'm thinking you have cheese envy with those of us who have made wonderful cheeses here in Thailand and where you have failed.  So sad.  I can point you to professional cheese making groups so maybe you can learn a thing or two.  But then again, they would likely kick you out of the group with the hate attitude you have.

Stick to your commercial cheese.  You know... the one that tastes all the same to you.  Your taste buds can't tell the difference.

Edited by PhuketFarang

• 3 weeks later...

Phuket:  You should pay to be a sponsor.  That website you are promoting is yours. I checked the ISP and they are the same as your are posting here.  Just be honest when you are trying to create a business. Self promotion is fine as long as you are honest about it.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:57 AM, zeichen said:

Phuket:  You should pay to be a sponsor.  That website you are promoting is yours. I checked the ISP and they are the same as your are posting here.  Just be honest when you are trying to create a business. Self promotion is fine as long as you are honest about it.

When was I not honest about it?  But you're WAY off on ISP.  Unless you think Scottsdale Arizona in the USA is somehow near Phuket.  If you want, I can show you how to find out what ISP is hosting a website.

• 9 months later...
On 10/7/2016 at 6:28 AM, retoocs01 said:

You should be a little bit careful with your assumptions...even if you want to "protect a business"...

Cheese making is no black magic, if...yes if one can source good ( preferably) raw milk.

I have all the necessary ingredients, like Calcium-Chloride, Rennet, mesophilic starter cultures, etc.pp.

But with all the shop bought milk here, I was never able to get a decent, firm curd, suitable for hard-cheese, like Gouda, Edamer, etc. or even a half-decent Camembert.

Just firm enough for Cream cheese or cottage style cheese...if you really want this.

If you interested, why you need good milk, read here (especially: "I am not getting curds")

http://www.cheesemaking.com/learn/faq/curds-and-whey.html

And here about cheese making in Thailand, incl. where to get usable milk from:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/board,143.0.html?PHPSESSID=d7ac6a411348bbbd3c65423f36a9511b

You can get good raw milk from here (commercial use), but they don't sell them in single bottles:

http://www.coopthai.com/banbuang/cont.html

Finally I gave up, because it was too problematic to get usable milk which produces real cheese, apart from the creamy ones or quark.

So if anybody knows a source for unpasteurized or raw milk in the Pattaya, CB, Rayong area, please post her.

I know of a place in Mueang Chonburi that I have just started buying milk from. They do deliver to Pattaya a couple times a week. It is raw cow milk and I have had success with making cheeses. PM me if you want their information. 30 baht per kg.