British Birth Certificate For My Baby

My wife just had a baby girl 24/10/06 in buriram i was there for the birth .

We have been married years now and both are names and nationality details are on the thai birth certificate.I've had this translated to english.I am now back in the england my wife and child are still in buriram.

My questions are

1.can i apply at the general registor in england

2.what do i require i have my long certificate my babys orginal and the translated version.

3.it said on the website passports are required as im wanting to do this by post is this eccentual as my wifes passport is in thailand this would mean sending it to england getting translated and sending to thailand to the embassy

You help would be greatly appreciated

K rgds

Kerrs

There's no requirement to obtain a British-style birth certificate, and you can just apply for the passport, but you will need the same supporting evidence as you would otherwise have to show to get the birth certificate.

Scouse.

Scouse is it essential i provide my wifes thai passport plus tranlated copy as she would have to send to me and then me post to bangkok with all my documents as it is me that is transmitting the citizenship.

Rgds

Kerrs

Your wife will need to submit her passport, although it doesn't need to be translated. If she doesn't have a passport, her Thai ID card should suffice. If you are wary about sending your passport to Thailand, the embassy should accept a certified copy, although check this out before you send everything off.

In order for you to pass on your citizenship to your child, you need to be British otherwise than by descent. If you were born in the UK prior to 1.1.83 you will qualify.

Scouse.

As I understand things, eligability for a UK passport can be acheived either by having a mother or father who are UK citizens, doesn't have to be both.

You can use the website here to check, and even apply on-line. If you apply on-line you fill out all the forms on-line, then they print the forms and post them to you along with a list of supporting documentation needed, you sign and send them back.

For kids born out of the country it will need to be the full birth certificate, maybe with a tranlation if in Thai, and probably your birth certificate. Not sure about marriage certificate, but they won't want your wife's passport, as far as i know.

If you want any further info on my expereince, drop me a PM.

Good luck

Edited by stickyb