A virus question

Dexlowe

I have a pirate copy of Win 7 on my PC - I suspect it's got a virus that I can't get rid of. But no biggy as I am about to load a legit copy of Win 10.

My question is: during the download when 10 overrides 7, will any virus in the 7 OS be transferred to 10? Or will it be wiped out in the same manner as occurs when you reload your current OS from scratch?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Good idea - I'll do that. Thanks.

Oops - forgot to add that I have run AVG and Adaware so far. 

Unfortunately a lot of new malware is polymorphic and easily able to hide itself from checks once installed and running.

That's why it's best to boot into a clean environment.

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

Unfortunately a lot of new malware is polymorphic and easily able to hide itself from checks once installed and running.

That's why it's best to boot into a clean environment.

Understand -- appreciate the advice and will do as you suggest. 

You're presumably intending to make use of the assistive technologies option in order to get a free copy of Windows 10.

However, you might come unstuck since it doesn't apply if you have a pirate copy of Win 7 on the machine now.

As regards the virus, download the free version of Malwarebytes. That'll get rid of even the most obnoxious malware.

^^^ Uh, no. I said LEGIT copy of 10 (check my OP). But thanks for taking the time to help. 

(I had Malwarebytes on my laptop, and was planning to go fully paid, but their system wouldn't let me pay - maybe a Thailand thing. I've forgotten the details, but in the end I got irritated and ditched it completely and loaded fully paid Avast.) 

FYI, I bought the PC a year ago for 11k baht, intending only to use it for my local work, so it didn't matter that it came with a pirate OS.  My intention was always to go legit, however. And that's what I'm about to do. 

11 hours ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

clean-install-windows-10.jpg650x381xscreenshot.12.jpg.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.YouFAc6uga.jpg

Delete the partitions over which you wish to install. You can choose to Format them first.

To be extra safe if you are planning a clean install, I would also backup any data you might have in any additional partitions that have been created (D:, E: for example) and delete these as well. Re-make the additional partitions if you need them with the 'New' command as above. Don't want any nasties hiding in partition walls.

Before replacing any data, make sure you run your anti-virus/anti-malware software over the folders/files you are going to replace; viruses & malware don't only affect data on your C: drive alone........................;)

With the above said though, it depends how far you want to go.

It's logical to run a virus scan over each file, but shifting files elsewhere (prior to deleting a partition) means an infected file isn't changed, I guess. (Fortunately, with the only files I wish to keep, I  can simply copy over the contents - laborious, but so be it.)

I gather when you upgrade from 7 to 10 from Microsoft's website, you would be wise to do a clean install, right? But how does that work? When it upgrades Word, just as an example, is there a complete deletion of the old Word, or does the new program gather chunks of data from the old Word and incorporate it?  

I've done both upgrades and clean installs.

In my experience, on older hardware you are better doing an upgrade, because if Win 10 doesn't have compatible drivers it will use the ones already installed.

If you do a clean install and it hasn't got a driver, you have the PITA of having to hunt down one that will work.

50 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

It's logical to run a virus scan over each file, but shifting files elsewhere (prior to deleting a partition) means an infected file isn't changed, I guess. (Fortunately, with the only files I wish to keep, I  can simply copy over the contents - laborious, but so be it.)

I gather when you upgrade from 7 to 10 from Microsoft's website, you would be wise to do a clean install, right? But how does that work? When it upgrades Word, just as an example, is there a complete deletion of the old Word, or does the new program gather chunks of data from the old Word and incorporate it?  

Don't get confused with an upgrade and a clean install. Microsoft office is not part of the Microsoft operating system, therefore if you are doing a clean install you will lose Office (and all office related documents) and will need to reinstall.

If you are upgrading and it gives you the option of keeping all documents and programs, the only worry you will have is the virus you are trying to get rid of may still be there if it isn't in a system file.