Paying 2,200 Baht for Fitness First ?

Basoon

I was quoted 2200 baht per month for one location membership with admin fee of 1700 and was wondering if anybody that goes there was quoted any less?  And if so would it be any possible to get them to lower it?  Is 2200 a fair price?

Edited by Basoon

I'm just about to look into these prices as I'm pondering Fitness First or True Fitness. Think that's not a bad price. I've heard prices in the region of 2,700 for True but yet to go take a look. Maybe tomorrow.

It'd have to be fairly special for 2,700 pm. And without broken machines!!! Need convenient to Asok for me so it rules it places that might be cheaper but further out. The more hassle it is to get to the more likely I'll drum up an excuse not to bother.

I'll post what I get quoted tomorrow. The 1,700 admin fee seems ludicrous though!

Sent using Tapatalk

Fitness first are strict with their pricing. I have not met anyone who got a discount or waived signup fees. I was interested but walked away when the sales person wouldn't reduce the fees. I expected a call later offering me a "special discount", but nope, seems their prices are rigid.

As for True, the person above is wrong, it is the cheapest big name gym. Costs between 1500-1900 and usually no fees, depending on the salesperson. I went there for two years, it's good value.

Also there is Virgin which costs 1300 every 2 weeks. Optional +200 for a locker. But well worth it in my opinion, it's a really lovely gym. I switched from True and have no regrets. 

Edited by the donger

Fitness first are strict with their pricing. I have not met anyone who got a discount or waived signup fees. I was interested but walked away when the sales person wouldn't reduce the fees. I expected a call later offering me a "special discount", but nope, seems their prices are rigid.

As for True, the person above is wrong, it is the cheapest big name gym. Costs between 1500-1900 and usually no fees, depending on the salesperson. I went there for two years, it's good value.

Also there is Virgin which costs 1300 every 2 weeks. Optional +200 for a locker. But well worth it in my opinion, it's a really lovely gym. I switched from True and have no regrets. 

That sounds like it might be good. The one at Em Quartier?

Sent using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, SooKee said:

That sounds like it might be good. The one at Em Quartier?

Sent using Tapatalk

Yes at Emquartier, although the membership isn't location bound, so you can go to Chong Nonsi and Siam branches also. I like it because of all the little extras: free classes, sauna and ice room, climbing wall, and my favourite is they give you free gym clothes and a towel each visit. True is also good though, better value than fitness first. 

21 hours ago, SooKee said:

I'm just about to look into these prices as I'm pondering Fitness First or True Fitness. Think that's not a bad price. I've heard prices in the region of 2,700 for True but yet to go take a look. Maybe tomorrow.

It'd have to be fairly special for 2,700 pm. And without broken machines!!! Need convenient to Asok for me so it rules it places that might be cheaper but further out. The more hassle it is to get to the more likely I'll drum up an excuse not to bother.

I'll post what I get quoted tomorrow. The 1,700 admin fee seems ludicrous though!

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks! Let us know if it's less :)

Only managed to check out True today. Very impressive. Normal price for a year about 22k. Sales guy offered me a discount because my girlfriend is already a member there (or it may just be a normal offer - not sure) so it came down to 20k. He also offered 2 extra months membership free which brings it down to around 1,400 pm. Not bad. You can suspend your membership up to 4 times for a month at a time. Tomorrow will check out the other two.

Sent using Tapatalk

Insider news is True Fitness will go out of business within next year. They are going to be closing down the CTW branch soon. How do I know? I work in the industry.

All their staff haven't been paid for more than 4 months. Their trainers from CTW branch have been transferred to Asoke starting 1 November.

The only option for you is Fitness First or Virgin Active. Virgin is a bit more expensive but better facilities. Fitness First has more branches.

Wow. That's interesting indeed. That's why I'm always reluctant to pay cash up front for a whole year. Chances of getting your money back if they shut down - zero I guess. Couple of friends of mine have 5 year memberships there. They'll be REAL upset if it goes under. Had one go under in Malaysia too. Same situation. Wasn't so bad there as you took out a yearly membership but paid monthly. A pricing model I much prefer. 20k isn't a bad price but it is if it goes under in 5-6 months.

Virgin sounds ok even if it is more pricey if you pay every 2 weeks.

Sent using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I paid 2,200 THB/ month for Fitness First about 4 years ago.

I am now at WE Fitness since there is a gym close to me and they seem to offer more yoga classes. My husband's membership is weekends and public holidays only for 1,000 THB a month. I paid for 2 years up front for mine, full-time membership (hope they stay in business). I forget how much it was, but it averaged out to less than 2,000 THB a month, I think closer to 1,500 THB

We like WE, though I do miss the magazines in English in the Fitness First lounge.

On 11/6/2016 at 0:54 PM, cwldanny said:

Insider news is True Fitness will go out of business within next year. They are going to be closing down the CTW branch soon. How do I know? I work in the industry.

All their staff haven't been paid for more than 4 months. Their trainers from CTW branch have been transferred to Asoke starting 1 November.

The only option for you is Fitness First or Virgin Active. Virgin is a bit more expensive but better facilities. Fitness First has more branches.

Why not just go for runs at Lumpini Park, and not end up Arnie and Stallone lookalikes and have the girls avoiding you, well maybe not if you have bulging pockets.

Why not just go for runs at Lumpini Park, and not end up Arnie and Stallone lookalikes and have the girls avoiding you, well maybe not if you have bulging pockets.

Given that about 1% of the folks I meet or see at gyms (if that) look, or even want to look, like that, REALLY strange comment.

Why not just let folks train how they see fit? Especially given that running is only one form of training with a much more limited impact than a broader, week balanced, exercise regime. If girls are the concert, the talent at most gyms I've found to be both hot and friendly in many cases.

Sent using Tapatalk

I am paying 2,700 baht per month at FF in the Landmark Hotel. Have been for 3 years. Top notch gym for sure. They even provide free shorts and top for your work out. Yes, if you pay upfront annually you get a discount. Don't hire a trainer there. Way too expensive; over 1000 baht for one hour. Staff has good English skills, and are friendly. Yes, True Fitness is closing. On soi 16 there is a 5-star gym above Foodland that charges around 3,000 baht a month, but very nice. Anyone know the name?

Sounds good.  I'll go check that out too.  Virgin sounds like it's coming out on top to me at the moment.  They all seem to be around the 2,700 - 3,000 mark so not a lot in it really.  Quite like Em Quartier too given what else is there.