Officials raze rubber plantations in protected Phuket forest

webfact

Officials raze rubber plantations in protected Phuket forest

Eakkapop Thongtub

1482201357_1-org.jpg

Rubber plantations covering more than 120 rai in the Bang Kanoon protected forest were levelled yesterday (Dec 19). Photo: Ekkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A multi-agency task force of more than 100 officers, accompanied by armed soldiers and navy security personnel, removed illegally planted rubber trees covering 122 rai in the Bang Kanoon protected forest in Phuket’s Thalang District yesterday (Dec 19).

The operation began at 9am, led by Capt Bowaorn Promkaewngam, Deputy Chief of the Phuket Provincial Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc).

Joining him were more than 100 officers from the Royal Thai Army 41st Military Circle, the Royal Thai Navy Third Naval Area Command, the Thalang District Office, the Royal Forest Department and the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department (DNP).

While officials cut down the trees, on which local residents relied on to make a living, local resident Ampa Thongthep, 57, who claimed rights to occupy land in the area approached authorities with letters from the Ministry of Interior and the Phuket Provincial Office issued in October 2010.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/officials-raze-rubber-plantations-in-protected-phuket-forest-60324.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-20

25 minutes ago, bark said:

Why did they cut down trees in a forest ?? How stupid.

Just don't let people harvest the rubber !

Trees help with Global warming

I don't think a rubber tree farm in nowhere near as good for the eco environment as a natural thick jungle with insects and wildlife that comes with it.also it is not their land to use.it iwas and will be again a protected wildlife forest.it won't take long as the jungles work fast out here.also let's not forget that it was a natural forest until it was cut down by thieves.

1 minute ago, The man from udon said:

I don't think a rubber tree farm in nowhere near as good for the eco environment as a natural thick jungle with insects and wildlife that comes with it.also it is not their land to use.it iwas and will be again a protected wildlife forest.it won't take long as the jungles work fast out here.also let's not forget that it was a natural forest until it was cut down by thieves.

They planted trees, beside other trees; as shown in the pictures.

11 hours ago, bark said:

They planted trees, beside other trees; as shown in the pictures.

So what you are saying they never touched the original jungle and planted rubber.funny that my papa went to my farm today and cut everything back to allow my palm and banana trees to grow better and I it's not bs.They went on government property and farmed it.if these farmers own land in Phuket they are probably richer than you or I.

How in hell did they get away with planting 120 rai with rubber in a "protected" forest?  The tree the senior office is using to demonstrate how to make a <deleted> of cutting down is at least 5 years old - possibly nearer 10 years going by the usual standard of Thai husbandry