Thai D.licence Latest

sheff_mick

Many thanks to all who responded to my enquiry.

The following are the procedures I finished up taking to get my licence.

A letter from my local Immigration office ( Udornthani ) confirming my non immigant ‘O’ Status and address.

DOCUMENTS NEEDED:

A) house papers used to provide proof of residency on application for your ‘O’ visa.

:D passport

They where very helpful at Immigration as they always have been to me. NO FEE was asked for this service. Well done.

A letter confirming my health being o.k. to drive from my local clinic FEE: 50 baht.

Took these 2 documents along with my U.K driving licence, 2 passport photos and passport to Nongkhai Vehicle Registration Office as i was staying there temp. at a friends.

Also two photo copies of driving licence ( both sides ), main page and lastest stamp of ‘O’visa from your passport and 2 each of Immigration letter and Medical certification also needed.

Obviously different offices could vary so check first.

I went to Nongkhai as it was convenient and was advised I should have gone to the office where my address was registered as per Immigration letter of confirmation.

However they still kindly agreed to process my application and forward it to Udornthani for me, again well done, this time to Nongkhai.

As I only held a U.K. licence I had to take the highway code test ( In English ) and needed 23 out of 30 to pass.

Using common sense it was achievable and not to difficult.

They put all the documents I provided along with a letter confirming I had passed and sealed it in an envelope which I took to Udornthani. ( This allows same day issue. )

Udornthani processed everything and I got my licence within 1 hour. ( Get there at 8.30 to avoid the rush. ) FEE 105 baht.

Again no hassle and very helpful, well done.

Advice offered:

Go to the Transport Office nearest to the address on your letter from Immigration

Take your wife or someone who can translate for you as English is limited and as all sensible members will tell you. Dress reasonable, be polite and have patience and understanding and it will help you to get positive results.

If you get attitude stay cool as doing otherwise will not help you, remember this is our guest home of abode.

Total Charges 155 Baht sheff_ mick :o:D:D

Do you have to have double of everything to get both motorcycle and car/truck license? Can they make a copy of my embassy residency statement as long as I have my house papers. Thanks for any info. :o

Personally have found it easier without the babysitter. They tend to help more if no one is there to translate. Have both car and motorcycle lic. Vehicles also reg. in my name.

When I started to fill out the forms in Thai they told me in English that I could fill them out in English. But that was in BKK.

ajaunlau and the rest of you guys, thanks for the help and will let you know how I go. I still have to pick up a health certificate and might have to take both tests because my US license is expired but I'm not worried, one of my neighbours' is police and he told me to just get the paperwork and it would be no problem. Going for the first one year extension on the sixth. :D Oh yea, I forget how to turn off the email notification, can you help? :o

I was told you have to go to the British embassy to confirm your address, is this not the case then? I have a 1 year visa and a work perit but I do not think Ihave any ofical letter from imigration.

Can someone advise me asap as I had panned to go to the embassy this morning and it would be helful to know as i have to go down SUKHUMVIT :o to get there

Thanks somebody in anticipation

I was told you have to go to the British embassy to confirm your address, is this not the case then? I have a 1 year visa and a work perit but I do not think Ihave any ofical letter from imigration.

Can someone advise me asap as I had panned to go to the embassy this morning and it would be helful to know as i have to go down SUKHUMVIT :o to get there

Thanks somebody in anticipation

I needed two things from my embassy:

1) a translation of my D/L

2) a letter stating my address in Thailand

But that was a few years ago.