Torrent Probs after True Upgrade

KyopoBKK

Yes I'm on cable, but like you my problems started right after upgrading with True and getting a new router.  Everything was fine when I had ADSL and my own router, but now with True's cable router I can't even get a torrent started without using the VPN.  I haven't tried troubleshooting or waiting for torrents to get going as much as you have, but with the VPN it's fine.

I wonder there's something more that could be done about your situation, but it's beyond my knowledge.

I certainly believe it's possible that being upgraded to a new faster system by True also comes with more sophisticated and more intense throttling, and I also think that it is very likely that they almost completely block torrent traffic at certain hours.

I have noticed (but only once so it could be a complete coincidence)  that a torrent I was downloading at 2.5Mibps suddenly switched to 25Kibps at exactly 8pm and stayed there for at least 3 hours...

I usually avoid downloading at these times because I am using streaming etc so I haven't tested out whether there is a consistent "8pm block".

Edited by partington

I've also experience the 8pm slowdown along with others.  It started long before I upgraded to cable.

I posted this in another thread:

"Sometimes right around 8pm Netflix with a US VPN drops to either less than 400kb/s or 0.  It lasts a couple hours.  I have True Fiber now, but I had the same problem with ADSL.  It doesn't happen every night though.  Sometimes a few nights in a row then it's fine for weeks."

• 2 weeks later...

I think you need to forward a port for torrenting. But, usually some ISPs throttle your Torrent to maintain their servers. You can follow this guide on how to bypass ISP throttle to make sure if it really is blocking your torrent activities. If not, you can visit Port Forward to find your router and configure it accordingly.

• Like 1

Most ISPs use pretty sophisticated DPI systems to throttle. They will check the contents of a packet and match it to the port - for example, on port 80 if they don't see http requests then they might by default throttle. I would suggest trying Openvpn in TCP mode on port 443 with TLS/SSL, which may get through without being throttled, since it's not viable to throttle https without breaking the user experience for the majority of customers. Even so,  Openvpn's protocol is slightly different to standard https, and advanced DPI systems can detect this, especially if accompanied by high levels of traffic.

• 1 year later...

True Fiber does throttle your internet. Especially when you are streaming. It was coincident that I experienced such an issue. That time, I was in Thailand, and I couldn't watch any show properly. Then I realized that the internet was being monitored and throttled. One should learn about how to bypass throttling cases and if someone is being throttled then how to report about this case. 

kz at times, it is seen that ISP throttle your internet without any official statement or without informing to the user. And most of the time they throttle illegal too.