Bike rental vs uber/grab taxi

dirkjones

Hello hope everybody is having a great day/morning/evening.. I know this is again very subjective based on personal lifestyle and preference. but for getting around day to day in Chiang mai. Do you find Having a scooter/bike a better means of transportation financially and convenient. vs uber/taxi/red truck ect.. 

i know bike rentals can cost 2,400 to 3,500  a month.. my question is for basic day to day getting around would taxi/ red trucks cost any where near that much a month, and is having the convenience of a bike make getting around  extremely quicker than other the methods listed above?

I'm trying to finish building my real world budget for chiang mai

Having your own transportation is vastly more convenient.  Especially at night, public transport options tend to dry up and get expensive.  Plus it's much easier to explore around the countryside, stop where and when you want, etc.

Try not to kill yourself though.  And you'll need a motorcycle driving license + International Driving License, or a Thai driver's license or else the fines will get expensive.

I used a bicycle for a while till i go the courage to get on a Motor Bike again

I used to ride when i was younger  many years Ago

But i now use the bicycle for morning Exercise

Then use the motor bike for travelling around

As Winnnie said it helps for night time

plus if you want to go from place to place

you are in control; of where you go

You do not have to pay the other taxi bandits

Just food for thought  IMHO

11 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Having your own transportation is vastly more convenient.  Especially at night, public transport options tend to dry up and get expensive.  Plus it's much easier to explore around the countryside, stop where and when you want, etc.

Try not to kill yourself though.  And you'll need a motorcycle driving license + International Driving License, or a Thai driver's license or else the fines will get expensive.

I would need to get a thai Driving license as i'm currently unlicensed here in Pennsylvania. I was originally budgeting to include a bike, then i started making the argument that maybe uber would be a better bet.. but now i'm convinced i was on the right track with my original plan 

only other question is, i believe i'm going to be in Chiang mai For 6 months then back in the states for 3. and again back in Chiang mai for 6 then back and forth maybe for the first 2yr. So with this type of back and forth schedule does it make sense to buy a bike or just rent? as i'm aware the price of a year rental is basically the price of a bike to buy.

While i rather buy is there any type of secure storage solutions? My only idea was to do a 1year condo lease, and take the hit by living there 9 out of 12 months a year. and just have my bike parked at the condo while i'm gone.

I also have a car and many many bikes  I too use uber when going out drinking the days when you were stuck in the old city arguing for 30 minutes over a fare thankfully those days have gone thanks to uber and they reckon drinking driving has been cut down since uber became active in Chiang mai .

Edited by rakchaingmai
spelling mistake

Bike is most convenient but not safe if riding at night or on major roads. Seen too many accidents and it's the poor Farang who is blamed for any accident. Often, they do not realize that the larger vehicle has the right of way in this part of the world. You can't compare on costings when it comes on different form of transportation. 

17 hours ago, dirkjones said:

only other question is, i believe i'm going to be in Chiang mai For 6 months then back in the states for 3. and again back in Chiang mai for 6 then back and forth maybe for the first 2yr. So with this type of back and forth schedule does it make sense to buy a bike or just rent? as i'm aware the price of a year rental is basically the price of a bike to buy.

While i rather buy is there any type of secure storage solutions? My only idea was to do a 1year condo lease, and take the hit by living there 9 out of 12 months a year. and just have my bike parked at the condo while i'm gone.

If your thinking about going back and forth for 2 years then renting a bike is best option.

Don't know about Chiang Mai but in Pattaya you can rent a new Honda Click for 10k for 6 months. 

Buy a new one for around 58k and in 2 years time it's only worth 30k. 

May I assume you are an experienced Motorcycle user ?

If not do not take up riding in Chiang Mai.

In my early days here I used to take Brunch in a decent place. Thai Lady owner cum cook.

I used to watch 'Backpackers' as we called them then, not politically acceptable now I understand.

Anyway most of these backpackers had no idea and I could have  laugh with my meal.

Isn't the shop owner bothered about what damage they can do to his bikes. 

No, he has their passports and he either gets full repair or New Bike so no problem.

Explained all his new bikes.

john

We live and learn.

I try to avoid motobikes in Thailand because of the risks. But I do own an electric bicycle which I enjoy riding with. Perfect for me to get around with and you don't have to worry about a driving license.

But in this heat I prefer UBER that will take you almost anywhere in the city for around 100 baht.

On 23/03/2017 at 3:58 AM, dirkjones said:

Hello hope everybody is having a great day/morning/evening.. I know this is again very subjective based on personal lifestyle and preference. but for getting around day to day in Chiang mai. Do you find Having a scooter/bike a better means of transportation financially and convenient. vs uber/taxi/red truck ect.. 

i know bike rentals can cost 2,400 to 3,500  a month.. my question is for basic day to day getting around would taxi/ red trucks cost any where near that much a month, and is having the convenience of a bike make getting around  extremely quicker than other the methods listed above?

I'm trying to finish building my real world budget for chiang mai

You can get a scooter down to 1800B per month from one place I know of, maybe someone else is cheaper.  Depends on make, model and year and length of rental.

Risk vs reward, I guess.  On a motorbike you can u-turn to have another look at that stunner - Uber or red bus not so much.

Here's a bonus.  Ride about 30 minutes or so and you're in the mountains around CM.  Beautiful scenery and much more

fun than you can have in a car.  I feel safer in the mountains (daytime only) than in the city and there are many great rides. Have a look 

at GT Rider suggested trips. Leaving LOS?  You will probably meet someone who can look after the bike while you're gone.

Or rent.  Have fun, stay alert. 

59 minutes ago, balo said:

30 baht off for the nest 10 rides now is the promotion from Uber.  So that means 30 baht one way to Central from my location .

It is 70 Baht off - at least that is what the sms they sent me 2 days ago told me.

But if I were you I would check their fares as there have been some drastic fare increases on both GRAB and UBER the past few days, and they r applied 24 hrs a day so it can not be just "surge pricing"

It is 70 Baht off - at least that is what the sms they sent me 2 days ago told me.

But if I were you I would check their fares as there have been some drastic fare increases on both GRAB and UBER the past few days, and they r applied 24 hrs a day so it can not be just "surge pricing"

30 baht off in Chiang Mai and 70 baht off in Pattaya is the new promo codes I received.

Regarding a price increase I am a bit confused because it seems to be the same cheap fare to Central from my location which is a 5 km trip . But if I want to go in another direction I am charged more for the same distance , it also depends on the time of day of course.