Stringer Staircase

sanuk711

Has anyone installed one over the top of a normal staircase.

My wife was given 3 two storey new townhouse right in the middle of Udon Thani city---(long story involved with that one---re sisters etc)

I was just going to fire sale them off at 1 mil each---as they only are one bedroom---2 stories high but 1 bedroom, If they held a competition for how you could waste as much space as possible---- this builder would have taken the gold .

The staircase (which he decided to make about nearly meters wide) comes up in the middle of the top floor---then you have this space, before you walk into the 1 large bed room. Looking at the idea of creating more space upstairs---not being Dr Who--I am thinking of narrowing and making steeper the staircase by installing a stringer over the top of it.....so adding to the upper floor space. Anyone had this installed. I know in Oz its just done all the time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stringer+staircase+thailand&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHpLm5v5HTAhWMLI8KHelLBd0QsAQIGg&biw=1280&bih=569

1446389315408.jpg

Is there nay relevance to that photo? its not yours obviously

It doesn't apply here but there are more regulations concerning staircases in the UK Building regulations than any other section of building.

If you want to build over an existing flight then the first question is "do I have sufficient room?"

Can you make a narrower staircase over a wider one? without demolishing it?

If you build over it, you will raise the general height by at least one original riser height and then need to add more at the bottom.

Lifting it up means you are seriously in danger of incurring a head injury on the stairwell trimmer/bulkhead because Thais dont build here with a 2m clearance.

42 degrees; thats the angle that is deemed comfortable for private staircases, so 230/240 tread and 175-200 riser. i see stairs here at 55 degrees with the risers being longer than the treads!

try to limit each straight flight to 15 treads, any more and you should incorporate a landing or a quarter turn. again for comfort/rest

will you make yourself in timber? I haven't seen factory made staircases here though I am sure they are here. make sure they are here. a long flight needs sizeable stringing timbers 12 inch deep and 1.75in wide and even at that its normal to support the undercarriage on the floor.

personally I would find a clever shuttering joiner to reconfigure the concrete steps, and re pour them (as long as the original can take the weight)