Cycling routes close to Chiang Mai

Loaded

I have been considering upgrading my current mountain bike and devoting more time to cycling. I'm happy on my own but would also be open to joining small groups of friendly and easy-going (non vegan) fellow recreational cyclists.

If I want a car-free experience I take my bike to Huay Tung Tao and cycle round the lake and exercise track for an hour, but I'm looking for something a little more challenging but still relatively car, and dog, free.

Anyone have suggestions for routes starting within a 20km radius of the city?

Yes. I live in Sansai, near the intersection of 121/118. I tend to ride NW in the direction of MaeRim, or east in the direction of Sankhampaeng Hot Springs. Also know my way around DoiSaket. For example, I went up to the MaeKuang Dam this morning. I stay off the big highways, so all of above is on quiet little country roads. I try to fit a hill or two into every ride. PM me if you want to know more.

Take minor road parallel to river Ping from Superhighway heading north with the river on your left. 

In about 2.5kms arrive at Fa Ham Village. Still heading in a northly direction find the small klong with a narrow lane running parallel to it, on the right. This leads to the middle ring road 3029, in about 3kms or less. Turn left against the traffic using the footpath which doubles as a cycle track and go under the ring road. Shortly take the 1st left and go a further 3kms until you come to the outer ring road 121. Cross this and explore the many country lanes beyond.

6 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Yes. I live in Sansai, near the intersection of 121/118. I tend to ride NW in the direction of MaeRim, or east in the direction of Sankhampaeng Hot Springs. Also know my way around DoiSaket. For example, I went up to the MaeKuang Dam this morning. I stay off the big highways, so all of above is on quiet little country roads. I try to fit a hill or two into every ride. PM me if you want to know more.

I've actually driven many times from Maejo to MaeKuang Dam through the back roads. I hadn't thought about this route for a bike ride but it's perfect. Thanks.

4 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

Take minor road parallel to river Ping from Superhighway heading north with the river on your left. 

In about 2.5kms arrive at Fa Ham Village. Still heading in a northly direction find the small klong with a narrow lane running parallel to it, on the right. This leads to the middle ring road 3029, in about 3kms or less. Turn left against the traffic using the footpath which doubles as a cycle track and go under the ring road. Shortly take the 1st left and go a further 3kms until you come to the outer ring road 121. Cross this and explore the many country lanes beyond.

I'm fairly sure I know that area. I used to drive this route back to Maejo when I was bored with 118. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

There's a nice dirt road for mountain bikes from HTT up to the Hmong coffee village below Doi Pui summit.  Follow the dirt road NW corner of HTT.  Take care on the downhill if wet.  Great exercise.

I've searched for the the entrance to that route for many years. I've tried a few tracks but they don't seem to go anywhere. have you got a landmark I can look for near the NW corner of HTT.

Edited by Loaded

6 hours ago, hakancnx said:

On small roads from Suthep road to Doi Kham, continue to "Grand Canyon" cross over 121 to Hang Dong, go to Ping River and follow the river back to town. 

I can easily get onto the canal road 121 on the West side of town so that's an option. Thank you.

Take the new dual-carriageway 3029 from Hang Dong south until it intersects with the 108 then return on the 108 - about 50-60 km from memory (I haven't been back since Feb, hope the dual-carriageway is all complete when I go back in a couple of months). The new 3029 has a purpose-built bike path (but no barriers sadly) and back in Feb was relatively quiet - and nobody parking on the cycle lanes! I tend to avoid small roads through urban areas because of the dogs - although I do have a "quick release" 50cm bamboo cane (held on the rear carrier tightly but easily slides out) that I can whip out and threaten any dog that threatens me - to date it has worked every time - they always run off.

1 hour ago, nglodnig said:

Take the new dual-carriageway 3029 from Hang Dong south until it intersects with the 108 then return on the 108 - about 50-60 km from memory (I haven't been back since Feb, hope the dual-carriageway is all complete when I go back in a couple of months). The new 3029 has a purpose-built bike path (but no barriers sadly) and back in Feb was relatively quiet - and nobody parking on the cycle lanes! I tend to avoid small roads through urban areas because of the dogs - although I do have a "quick release" 50cm bamboo cane (held on the rear carrier tightly but easily slides out) that I can whip out and threaten any dog that threatens me - to date it has worked every time - they always run off.

Sorry I think I meant the 3035 - anyway the canal road from Chiang Mai that goes past Hang Dong

9 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

There's a nice dirt road for mountain bikes from HTT up to the Hmong coffee village below Doi Pui summit.  Follow the dirt road NW corner of HTT.  Take care on the downhill if wet.  Great exercise.

This is a great route but for those who are quite good shape.

With over 1000 mt of climbing at grades as steep as 22% on dirt it's not a ride in the park by any means.

By all means give it a go, you can always turn back anytime but bring plenty of supplies including water and snacks.

And the views are amazing so take a camera too!

13 hours ago, Loaded said:

I've searched for the the entrance to that route for many years. I've tried a few tracks but they don't seem to go anywhere. have you got a landmark I can look for near the NW corner of HTT.

Go up the dirt road from the north west "corner" of the lake.

Pass buy the gate house and continue up.

To keep your bearings head towards the Wat Suthep. 

There really is only one road that heads up that way, it's a wide dirt road.