Contaminated eggs found in 40 countries as EU ministers meet - DPA

webfact

Contaminated eggs found in 40 countries as EU ministers meet - DPA

tag-reuters-1.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Eggs are packed to be sold at a poultry farm in Wortel near Antwerp, Belgium August 8, 2017. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir/File Photo

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Eggs contaminated with the insecticide fipronil have been discovered in 40 countries, including 24 of the European Union's 28 member states, German news agency DPA reported on Tuesday, without citing its sources.

Millions of eggs have been pulled from European supermarket shelves, though some national regulators have voiced concern that many contaminated eggs have already entered the food chain, mainly through processed products such as biscuits, cakes and salads.

EU agriculture ministers meeting in Tallinn, Estonia, are due to discuss the egg scandal on Tuesday, DPA said.

DPA said a spokeswoman for the European Commission confirmed that the only EU member states so far unaffected are Lithuania, Portugal, Cyprus and Croatia.

The non-EU states in which contaminated eggs have been discovered include the United States, Russia, South Africa and Turkey, DPA reported.

Dutch and Belgian authorities traced the source of the insecticide to a supplier of cleaning products in the Netherlands. Two Dutch men who ran the cleaning company Chickfriend were arrested last month.

While a large number of contaminated eggs would need to be eaten to affect health, fipronil is considered moderately toxic and can cause organ damage in humans.

It is widely used to treat pets for ticks and fleas but its use in the food chain - for example, to clean out barns - is forbidden.

(Reporting by Maria Sheahan; editing by Jason Neely)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-05

So please take this health advisory under good consideration:

Do *NOT* eat more than 60 contaminated eggs a day.

I'm sure it pales to what you shove down your gob.

Fipronil is an insecticide that - in an ideal world - should never find its way into a chicken coop.

But it somehow got mixed up with a cleaning agent and sanitiser at some poultry farms.

The insecticide is often used as the active ingredient in flea control products, as well as controlling pests on golf courses.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/4220132/egg-contamination-fipronil-supermarkets-asda-waitrose-sainsburys-morrisons/

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Notice that the EU are being entirely open about this issue.

It is also an EU regulation that has been breeched

Frankly I trust the EU to take of the food chain far more than the UK or USA.

AS for Thailand, best not to think about it :sad:

Edited by Grouse

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

Yes we must trust the EU. They are so prompt in reporting poisons that "can cause organ damage in humans" If you kept up with the news, you may recall that the cover up of these poisons originated from Holland in November last year. Holland authorities tried to cover up this "incident" until revealed about 6 weeks ago. No one yet knows how long systematic poisoning had been used before November last year. But we must trust the EU. Of course we must. It has only taken 10 months

to release this information. But we must trust the EU. A fine upstanding body of very rich bureaucrats "looking after you"

1 hour ago, spiderorchid said:

Yes we must trust the EU. They are so prompt in reporting poisons that "can cause organ damage in humans"

If you kept up with the news, you may recall that the cover up of these poisons originated from Holland in November last year.

Holland authorities tried to cover up this "incident" until revealed about 6 weeks ago. No one yet knows how long systematic

poisoning had been used before November last year. But we must trust the EU. Of course we must. It has only taken 10 months

to release this information. But we must trust the EU. A fine upstanding body of very rich bureaucrats "looking after you"

So the Dutch tried to keep this secret? Well it's in the open now so what is YOUR point? How about Kreutzfeld Jakob and mad cow disease? What about antibiotics and steroids in USDA? Chickens washed in chlorine rather than improve animal husbandry? No, my comment stands.

10 minutes ago, Grouse said:

So the Dutch tried to keep this secret? Well it's in the open now so what is YOUR point? How about Kreutzfeld Jakob and mad cow disease? What about antibiotics and steroids in USDA? Chickens washed in chlorine rather than improve animal husbandry? No, my comment stands.

It is a simple point. The "eggate" was known about by Dutch authorities in November last year. They finally fessed up under pressure about 6 weeks ago.

They were still producing toxic eggs, possibly still are up to six weeks ago. Now it has been revealed that contaminated eggs are spread though out tens

of dozens of countries.

From November last year to now is a long time. And no authorities are prepared to say how long Dutch cage egg producers and possibly other

EU countries have been poisoning the EU citizens and others prior to being "outed".  But as you say, we must trust all EU authorities as they know best.

Even Nth Korean indoctrinated could see through that one. 

22 hours ago, RobFord said:

But it somehow got mixed up with a cleaning agent and sanitiser at some poultry farms.

No it was deliberate . Cleaning company Chickfriend knew exactly what they were doing .

22 hours ago, Grouse said:

AS for Thailand, best not to think about it 

So true !

17 hours ago, Grouse said:

Yes, they found the East European EU countries and Irish firms selling horse meat as beef too.

Wonder how many committees, sub-committees, MEP's and inspectors from various agencies will be involved in sorting this one out?

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, Grouse said:

Really? I admire your cherry picking views. 

Back in the '80s it was the UK who revealed that cattle were infected with 'Mad cow disease'. Every country in the EU denied that their cattle were infected - including the USA, even though everyone knew that all these countries already had the infection and were hiding it. 

So, what did they do? They let the UK wallow in the shit. UK beef was taken off the shelves in all EU countries and in the USA.  They spurned and isolated the UK despite having the disease themselves.

These chicken-shit countries didn't have the balls to admit it. 

Please don't tell me that the EU is an open entity. It is not!

Who are you anyway? Which of these countries do YOU come from?

I trust my country. I have never trusted any European country, nor the USA.

Back in the '80s it was the UK who revealed that cattle were infected with 'Mad cow disease'. Every country in the EU denied that their cattle were infected - including the USA, even though everyone knew that all these countries already had the infection and were hiding it. 
So, what did they do? They let the UK wallow in the shit. UK beef was taken off the shelves in all EU countries and in the USA.  They spurned and isolated the UK despite having the disease themselves.

Nothing in every time line I've found supports your supposition that "every country in the EU denied their country were infected".

Why are you spreading lies?

https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/1040/mad-cow-disease/timeline-mad-cow-disease-outbreaks#

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chronology-of-mad-cow-crisis/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_spongiform_encephalopathy

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I was born in Middlesborough but went to school near Sheffield. It were a long walk but it were woth it ?