Farmer faces charges after wild elephant fatally electrocuted

snoop1130

Farmer faces charges after wild elephant fatally electrocuted

By The Nation

94651e5820f51ad726dd1cd5511fdd14.jpeg

A four-tonne elephant was fatally electrocuted at a corn field near the Salakpra Wildlife Sanctuary in Kanchanaburi's Muang district on Monday morning when it separated from its herd to hunt for food.

Sanctuary head Paitoon Intharabut went to the corn field in Tambon Chong Sadao along with a veterinarian and police when the wild elephant’s death was reported at 8.30am. They found the 25-year-old male bull lying with its stomach on electrical wires. 

Corn farmer Wutthichot Rojanaphokhapreeda, 48, told police that he installed the 220-volt electrical wire fence around his 12-rai cornfield on August 28 to protect the crop from cows and buffaloes but he failed to report the wire installation to park officials. 

He said that he only released 110 volts of electricity and a wild elephant previously tried to eat his crop but got a shock and ran away.

Paitoon said officials would proceed with legal action against the farmer as installing the electrical wire resulting in a wild elephant's death was within the frame of illegal wildlife hunting.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30327042

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-9-18

5 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Corn farmer Wutthichot Rojanaphokhapreeda, 48, told police that he installed the 220-volt electrical wire fence around his 12-rai cornfield on August 28 to protect the crop from cows and buffaloes but he failed to report the wire installation to park officials. 

give him 220; in thailand this kind of a guy is considered smart

9 hours ago, roo860 said:

What's she pointing at?
Oh Yes, an elephant, wouldn't have seen it otherwise

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agreed.   Wasn't too sure, but now I know!!

Also, I think ignorant types putting up mains voltage fences should be invited to test them first.

I've accidentally tested my electric livestock fences, as has our cat.  It's enough to make your hair stand up!

However there is a huge difference between a LIVESTOCK fence and something connected to the domestic power supply.

Not the first time this has happened - basically farmers taking the law into their own hands....there is actually a lot of advice on this sort of problem, but some people just think they know 
best ,.....and don't need to tell the authorities about it.

Furthermore, it's easy enough to detect if someone is setting up these fences but no-one lifted a finger

On 9/19/2017 at 9:43 AM, uffe123 said:

Actually they need to do something about these elephants, In my village alone 4 people were killed. One man had his arms and legs torn off, must have been one mad elephant

there are ways of dealing with human/elephant conflict and there are several international bodies that will provide help - unfortunately many t
Thai rural farmers don't always know about this. also the is the problem of farmers encroaching on land that is actually well within the territory of wild elephants.