Uk Visitor Visa

My father is quite elderly and will eventually pass away, though hopefully not for many years yet. My wife has met my father a number of times and likes him. She would like to go to the funeral in England when he eventually dies. We both live here in LOS and have been married for over 6 years. She has visited the UK twice before on Visitor Visas and each time left after one month's holiday. She has also visited Australia with me.

Because it's now impossible to obtain a VV quickly I would like to apply for a VV for my wife but hopefully not use it. ie I hope my dad outlives the life of the 2 year visa. I would then apply for a new VV and repeat this every two years until regretfully it is needed.

My questions are:

1. I will not be able to give a definitive date of UK arrival. Will this prejudice the application?

2. Will repeated applications ( every two years) but not using the visa be detrimental to yet another

application?

3. Does a visa need to be activated within a certain date after its issue else it lapses and doesn't extend to

2 years.? eg say I don't need to use it until 3 months before the two years are up, will it still be valid?

Thanks very much for any help.

Lungbing,

That you live in Thailand and have been married for 6 years, coupled with the fact that your wife has previously visited the UK and complied with her conditions, indicate that she'll have no problems getting a longer-term visa. I'd apply for a 2-year multi and provide a covering letter saying what you've said here; i.e. you may have to travel at the drop of a hat, so want to have the visa there just in case. If it's unused after the two years, that does not go against you.

Scouse.

Cheers, Scouse. You're a gentleman and a scholar. There's so few of us left.

agsnowdon, You may be right and it may take less than a week. But I would rather not take that risk,

especially as it's all now done through a third party.