Cross-bank bill payments are now in service

rooster59

Cross-bank bill payments are now in service

ATM.jpg

Begining today (Nov 18), cross-bank bill payments through the “PromptPay” service with low fee of just 5 baht per transaction will be allowed for commercial banks to facilitate their customers for online purchases and at ATMs.

Bank of Thailand’s deputy governor for Payment Systems Policy and Financial Technology Group Siritida Panomwon Na Ayudhya said yesterday (Nov 17) that the new service will provide greater convenience with regards to bank transactions such as bill payments while service charge will be very low at just 5 baht for each transaction.

The cross-bank bill payment service allows customers to pay bills through PromptPay to any bank with which service providers have an account.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cross-bank-bill-payments-now-service/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-18

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Bank of Thailand’s deputy governor for Payment Systems Policy and Financial Technology Group Siritida Panomwon Na Ayudhya said yesterday (Nov 17) that the new service will provide greater convenience with regards to bank transactions such as bill payments while service charge will be very low at just 5 baht for each transaction

It's lovely that this fellow sees 5 baht as a very low charge, compared to the 200 baht they stick on tourists.

1 hour ago, coulson said:

It's lovely that this fellow sees 5 baht as a very low charge, compared to the 200 baht they stick on tourists.

The point is that you can make a bill payment with "ATM Card A" at "ATM B". Most bills can already be paid with "ATM Card A at ATM A" and many have a charge (10 Baht, 15 Baht etc) but you could never pay your electricity bill at a SCB Atm if you had an Kbank card..now you can. And 5 baht is 'cheap'. Hell, it costs me 15 baht to take money from a Kbank ATM outside of Bangkok with my Kbank ATM card (Issued in Bangkok).

Foreign card fees (Not "tourist" fees) are a totally different subject but this service can be useful in a remote area where there aren't atm's of every bank. 

Also, if you think Thai banks are sharks, some South African banks have a minimum charge of 75 Baht...for LOCAL, but different bank, bank cards. I was charged 250 Baht last time I got cash there.