Tourist visa for a possible, but not certain, longer stay

I have a plane ticket to go to Thailand by Thai Air on 27.12, with return ticket after two weeks. However, I may wish to stay on a bit longer, and get a visa for that before I leave home though I haven't finally decided on the length of the stay yet. Will there be a problem to get an ordinary tourist visa on the thai embassy, when my ticket shows a return after two weeks?

11 minutes ago, paahlman said:

No.. Its not like that.. on a tourist visa(not visa exemption) you get 60 days and can extend it incountry for 1900 baht for 30 days more. Tanoshi.

The OP isn't certain of the length of time to spend in Thailand.

I'm merely pointing out if the OP doesn't intend staying for more than 60 days, a TV isn't necessary.

• Like 1

The OP doesn't say what country she's from but some Thai embassies (UK for example) don't ask to see a ticket when you apply for a  SETV. they ask for an estimated length of stay but one can always write "up to 60 days".

If she's from one of those countries and thinks she might want to stay between 30  and 60 days, without extending, then  it's easy to get a visa " just in case". For a stay of 30 days or less with a return ticket, no visa is necessary.

Obviously, if she gets a visa and  subsequently stays a shorter time, then it's wasted money. As  @Tanoshi said, we really need to know what she meant by "a bit longer"

Another thought occurs....She may be visiting a part of Thailand where it's a long journey to an Immigration Office so if any extensions are needed it may become tiresome.

Edited by VBF

5 minutes ago, VBF said:

The OP doesn't say what country she's from but some Thai embassies (UK for example) don't ask to see a ticket when you apply for a  SETV. If she's from one of those countries and thinks she might want to stay between 30  and 60 days, without extending, then  it's easy to get a visa " just in case". For a stay of 30 days or less with a return ticket, no visa is necessary.

Obviously, if she gets a visa and  subsequently stays a shorter time, then it's wasted money. As  @Tanoshi said, we really need to know what she meant by "a bit longer"

Another thought occurs....She may be visiting a part of Thailand where it's a long journey to an Immigration Office so if any extensions are needed it may become tiresome.

You can extend a Visa Exempt for 30 more days after the initial 30 days, never tried to extend it beyond 60 days so don;t know if that is even possible.  If she isn't staying longer than 60 days then she doesn;t need a Visa

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Define 'a bit longer'.

You can stay up to 30 days (Visa exempt), which can be extended for another 30 days at local Immigration = 60 days.

OP has not stated nationality, how do you know she would only get 30 days?

Koreans get 90 days.

5 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

You can extend a Visa Exempt for 30 more days after the initial 30 days, never tried to extend it beyond 60 days so don;t know if that is even possible.  If she isn't staying longer than 60 days then she doesn;t need a Visa

Agreed. My comments were attempting to cover all permutations of trip duration and location and her current location outside Thailand. 

Edited by VBF

This may be similar.  On most of my trips (visa exempt) I literally have changed my return every time.  I never know how long I am staying and originally had booked a return 28 days after arrival.  Once I had an open ended return, all the other times I plan for 28 days, but 3 times stayed longer and just changed my return ticket.  EVA used to not charge anything for a change in return reservation.  As long as I had a return ticket, they didn't seem to mind.  I have done visa runs 3 times and stayed a total of 60 days and also just bought an extension at the Jomtien office.