tom yung kung Where is the best in Chiang Mai

krey

There is a Thai restaurant (one of a few) just past the Red Lion and nearly opposite the Chinese temple (lower Loh Kroh) which seems to attract many lunchtime visitors, and is recommended on Trip Advisor (for what that's worth). The menu is comprehensive and also caters for vegetarians, plus they sell craft beer.

Never tried it, but worth a look.

Geez, probably 500-1000+ joints here in Chiangmai serve the spicy shrimp soup and it'd be difficult for me to suggest one place over another.  In my experience, there are certain Thai dishes (tom yang goong, pad thai, kao man gai, gai pat met mamuang, penang gai or moo, etc.,etc.) which seem to be well prepared just about anywhere.  And, if you like any particular dish more or less spicy, it's extremely easy to simply ask that they spice it up or turn down the heat. 

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

There is a Thai restaurant (one of a few) just past the Red Lion and nearly opposite the Chinese temple (lower Loh Kroh) which seems to attract many lunchtime visitors, and is recommended on Trip Advisor (for what that's worth). The menu is comprehensive and also caters for vegetarians, plus they sell craft beer.

That place is for Chinese tourists!

53 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Geez, probably 500-1000+ joints here in Chiangmai serve the spicy shrimp soup and it'd be difficult for me to suggest one place over another.  In my experience, there are certain Thai dishes (tom yang goong, pad thai, kao man gai, gai pat met mamuang, penang gai or moo, etc.,etc.) which seem to be well prepared just about anywhere.  And, if you like any particular dish more or less spicy, it's extremely easy to simply ask that they spice it up or turn down the heat. 

Are you serious? Personally I've never found anywhere in C.M. that sells good tom yum kung and I gave up on even trying any here about 5 years ago.  In Bangkok, that's a different story. Good Penang gai in C.M.??? The good stuff is down South in Hat Yai, Pattani, etc.

Edited by elektrified

9 minutes ago, daoyai said:

many versions here as stated,  I like the tom yum goong from Gai Yang Ruam Jai next to the 7-11 near CM Ram hospital, ... don't really care for their gai yang but their tom yum is good, big prawns in the half shell.

We go there all the time and have so for 11 years. I never knew they served tom yum kung.

thanks for some of the suggestions all.  As for the poster that said geez there are 5000 restaurants etc.  I already know there are many places.  All I wanted to know if there were some places I might not be aware of that have a reputation of being exceptional. I already know one can ask for spicy, less spicy etc.  I was just referencing that I personally do not want to go to the restaurants that I call more Tourist Thai in which they tone everything down thinking most foreigners can't handle it.

15 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Who runs the Red Lion now ? it used to be an English maybe Welsh guy about 5/6 years ago, is it still on Loi Crotch ?

19 hours ago, elektrified said:

Are you serious? Personally I've never found anywhere in C.M. that sells good tom yum kung and I gave up on even trying any here about 5 years ago.  In Bangkok, that's a different story. Good Penang gai in C.M.??? The good stuff is down South in Hat Yai, Pattani, etc.

Interesting. I have never been overly impressed with tom yum kung and wondered what all the hoopla was about. However, never tried it anywhere but Chiang Mai. Anywhere in Bangkok that you particularly recommend? I know that you have been around quite a while. 

9 hours ago, Acemaker said:

Who runs the Red Lion now ? it used to be an English maybe Welsh guy about 5/6 years ago, is it still on Loi Crotch ?

Same Kevin from Liverpool, same place, same prices as well. Cheapest Guinness in CM. And they seemed to have upped their food quality - must be a new chef.

On 12/12/2017 at 8:44 AM, stephenterry said:

"Lemon grass" ?

Always busy, hard to get a seat, usually queues