bin man - most discusting job in thailand

pumpjack

I applaud them.

In our Soi they rock up in their dark green truck every night about 10 or 11 pm  & take away all the rubbish from 3 hotels  & 2 apartment blocks.

Try & imagine if they went on strike for a month. You would be in real trouble.

Nothing but the highest accolades from me

14 hours ago, pumpjack said:

bkk & pattaya , why the stupid reply ?   

are you saying there would be no needles, rats/rat s**t.human s**t in these bins ?   look in your hotel everywhere it states to clean your ass and throw the paper into plastic bag so therefore these bin lorries full of s**t !    and i watch some of these guys do not wear gloves and surely they fall sick with diseases often ? 

Pehaps you are being obtuse, but i would suspect that the majority of the garbage is not a biohazard, and needles etc are not normal. 

Nor i suspect are used condoms the bulk of the refuse.

Furthermore, 99 percent of the thai population washes their ass rather than wiping it unless there is absolutely no other option.

In other words, i suspect you are exaggerating.

As others have said, it is a fairly lucrative job and there are plenty of other jobs out there equally unpleasant.

34 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

From what I've heard, it pays so well that thais don't mind doing it (unlike the backbreaking cheap  farm labour they outsource) 

If it pays 3x as much as a regular job they can go home, have a shower and be pretty wealthy by Thai standards

Most people would consider a job they disliked for 3 or 4x the salary they could get doing anything else because you can buy a house or a nice  truck etc 

Maybe in the bigger cities it can pay well (also depends on the volume of stuff they can sell on). Bigger areas will do their collections during the night, so maybe they pay a bit of overtime.

However, on the most part I am not sure it does pay so well. Usually to secure the job the person will need to pay anywhere between 20-50k. Maybe 15k if a relative. The salary is around 7,000-8,500 per month. 

13 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Maybe in the bigger cities it can pay well (also depends on the volume of stuff they can sell on). Bigger areas will do their collections during the night, so maybe they pay a bit of overtime.

However, on the most part I am not sure it does pay so well. Usually to secure the job the person will need to pay anywhere between 20-50k. Maybe 15k if a relative. The salary is around 7,000-8,500 per month. 

The real money is not the salary itself, its the money you can skimm off from the garbage  

All the bags hanging on the sides of the truck are things they are collecting because they know someone who will buy it

On 1/2/2018 at 1:53 PM, pumpjack said:

human shit and lots of it as people are expected to put their toilet paper into a plastic bin

Do you still wipe your arse with toilet paper?  The good old western "dry wipe"?  :sick: 

Typically, folks use toilet paper to dab off water after using the bum gun.

But yes, the trash lorries are not a bed of roses.  I do them a favor and put all the recyclables into a separate bin, although the old fella who rides around my moo baan on his bike, usually beats them to it. 

Edited by 55Jay

5 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

The real money is not the salary itself, its the money you can skimm off from the garbage  

All the bags hanging on the sides of the truck are things they are collecting because they know someone who will buy it

Yes, in the bigger cities. But in most average places the people keep onto that stuff themselves and sell it on. Either to the cars doing the rounds or going to the plant themselves to get a better rate. So for many, unfortunately, the salary makes up a high percentage of their monthly income. One of our guys works as a garbo by day and a waiter at night to get a bit of extra cash.

Even more depressing, depending on the municipality policy, the money that is made from selling stuff on is shared around to the more 'important' figures and a little bit is then given to the garbo guys. 

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Do you still wipe your arse with toilet paper?  The good old western "dry wipe"?  :sick:

Typically, folks use toilet paper to dab off water after using the bum gun.

Go to the loo in Central, BigC, Tesco or such, you will find toilets without bum guns.

Personally I make sure to bring a bottle of water with me but the majority are using the

"dry wipe" with paper and many throw the used paper in the bin.

Pity he couldn't tell us exactly which part of Bangkok he saw this.

Were the needles he saw the type by diabetics? What type of rats did he see? Were the used condoms the ribbed variety? What colour was the toilet paper?

Pity he couldn't tell us exactly which part of Bangkok he saw this.
Were the needles he saw the type by diabetics? What type of rats did he see? Were the used condoms the ribbed variety? What colour was the toilet paper?

Toilet paper was white with brown stripes .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, maximillian said:

Go to the loo in Central, BigC, Tesco or such, you will find toilets without bum guns.

Personally I make sure to bring a bottle of water with me but the majority are using the

"dry wipe" with paper and many throw the used paper in the bin.

Touché, good point.  I got caught out once at a mall, not long after dining at one of the restaurants therein.  We have to muddle through holidays in Murica.  No bidet or bum guns, so we resort to those moist baby bum wipes.  :sad:

Just now, 55Jay said:

Touché, good point.  I got caught out once at a mall, not long after dining at one of the restaurants therein.  We have to muddle through holidays in Murica.  No bidet or bum guns, so we resort to those moist baby bum wipes.  :sad:

Century mall has those "dry wipe" toilets too....