Video: Seven migrant workers catapulted onto the road but all live

snoop1130

5 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Mr. Gunderhill,

Until you understand Boyle's laws it will appear to you as though I am giving bad advice.  Only when you understand them will what I have posted begin to make sense to you and you will find that I am in perfect agreement with "Mr Michelin" and "Mr Bridgestone."

But of  course  you are, how  jolly condescending of you.

But  just to remind you of  what you said Mr Michelin and Mr Bridgestone will have already made  allowance for tyres pressure increasing with use and that why they state a "cold" ( ambient)  checking time. You can blather on about Boyles  law all you like  which incredibly I learnt about at age  11. None of them state check pressures  when hot not one. "hot" is  going to be very variable depending where in the world you are so they use "ambient"   for "cold" They know how  much those tyres  will heat up when hot and factor  that in to the "cold" reading.

"In this case, when they are "hot" is a good time to check their pressure and/or fill them in order to avoid over-inflation."

So you recommend   checking tyres when hot and Michelin and  Bridgestone recommend  cold, I know who I'm going to rely on thanks.

Edited by gunderhill

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

But of  course  you are, how  jolly condescending of you.

But  just to remind you of  what you said Mr Michelin and Mr Bridgestone will have already made  allowance for tyres pressure increasing with use and that why they state a "cold" ( ambient)  checking time. You can blather on about Boyles  law all you like  which incredibly I learnt about at age  11. None of them state check pressures  when hot not one. "hot" is  going to be very variable depending where in the world you are so they use "ambient"   for "cold" They know how  much those tyres  will heat up when hot and factor  that in to the "cold" reading.

"In this case, when they are "hot" is a good time to check their pressure and/or fill them in order to avoid over-inflation."

So you recommend   checking tyres when hot and Michelin and  Bridgestone recommend  cold, I know who I'm going to rely on thanks.

You're fine, Mr. Gunderhill, as long as you have your tyres checked per the specs of Mr Michelin or Mr Bridgestone, i.e. with a gauge.  Fill your tyres to ~ 60 psi cold without a gauge, Thai style, then see if they're not more likely to blow once they warm up and reach a pressure of 65+ psi, well over the 42-44 psi max.  But that isn't what you were arguing in favor of, was it?  I think you've forgotten the beginning of this.  I was never addressing situations in which a gauge is used.  Unfortunately, it appears you are hankering for an argument more than trying to understand what I am saying, because if you understood what I am saying you would quite likely find that you are in agreement with it.  That being the case, I shall leave off this discussion here.  Have a nice day, and a happy new year.

1 hour ago, AsianAtHeart said:

You're fine, Mr. Gunderhill, as long as you have your tyres checked per the specs of Mr Michelin or Mr Bridgestone, i.e. with a gauge.  Fill your tyres to ~ 60 psi cold without a gauge, Thai style, then see if they're not more likely to blow once they warm up and reach a pressure of 65+ psi, well over the 42-44 psi max.  But that isn't what you were arguing in favor of, was it?  I think you've forgotten the beginning of this.  I was never addressing situations in which a gauge is used.  Unfortunately, it appears you are hankering for an argument more than trying to understand what I am saying, because if you understood what I am saying you would quite likely find that you are in agreement with it.  That being the case, I shall leave off this discussion here.  Have a nice day, and a happy new year.

The argument was VERY  simple, when do you check tyre  pressures, when hot  or  cold.

I recently saw a woman at a petrol station pumping 50psi in her tyre which happened to be the same as mine. When I asked her why she was doing that ( the manufacturer advises 35psi), she told me that she was often carrying stuff and it was better that way. I mentionned the risk of blowing a tyre and that triggered the usual "mai pen rai" with a broad smile! i just hope she will not learn the lesson the hard way... 

You think it just might be the fault, not of those in the pickup, but of that ill-mannered truck driver?  In some countries, you don't get to rule the road just because you're the biggest bozo on it.  In fact, you might lose your commercial license for good over an incident like that.

Glad the victims all survived.  They probably would not have had they been on a motorcycle instead.
Ill-mannered drivers? You are too nice. Try idiotic irresponsible pathetic drivers! Aka retards.

Sent lovingly from my S8.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

For those of you belly-aching about tire shops not inflating tires to their correct pressure, do something about it. Buy a proper pressure gauge and a hand pump like I did from HomePro. I had to pump up my scooter tires every 7-10 days. Most tires lose air over a short period but the small scooter tires deflate even faster. 

Most people don't even think about it let alone belly ache.

The only time my small scooter tyres deflated was when they had a puncture.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, Lampang2 said:

yes, they have tubes inside, and they deflate quickly compared to tubeless versions.

Sorry, but I have to call you out on that as it's just not true.

I had so much trouble with tubeless that I put tubes in all my tyres, and they never deflate, let alone "quickly" unless punctured.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:42 PM, French mate said:

- The pick driver change lane as soon his tire explode and without look if a car is coming. 

- The truck driver : he speed for pass other car on the slow lane of the road that is his real wrong action.

People who blame the accident on lack of braking from the truck driver, they bame the wrong thing. 

The other elements, like the car stationed on the left line, havent help for sure, but are only secondary factor.

Where in the OP is it proven that the tyre "exploded"?

Yes.

It is all the truck driver's fault IMO.

The white line is ending ahead which means the middle lane is merging with the left side lane. A good driver would see that a car AHEAD of him is in the middle lane and slow down in anticipation of it moving to the left, not keep on speeding.

A good driver takes EVERYTHING into consideration. In the video, there is nothing that a good driver would not have anticipated.

Unfortunately, most drivers that I have seen, anywhere in the world, have no idea of what the words "defensive driving'' means.

My Thai wife was a truly frightening driver. I refused to let her drive with me in the car, unless it was in the early hours on a good road with no other traffic, or in really bad traffic when it was likely a collision would occur ( it was her car ), as she would have never let me hear the end of it if I was driving when it got scratched.

Sorry, but I have to call you out on that as it's just not true.
I had so much trouble with tubeless that I put tubes in all my tyres, and they never deflate, let alone "quickly" unless punctured.
If you have leaky rims, can't blame on the tires.

Tubeless on motorcycles at least is always leaking less.
Given you have a proper rim.

Cars in the modern world is always tubeless.
Only in thailand i have seen people put tubes into car tires, probably because the rim is gone.

You could possibly also live on cheaper tires.
But it causes a lot of problems.
Heat build up in the tube and explosions.

1 hour ago, Lampang2 said:

If you have leaky rims, can't blame on the tires.

Tubeless on motorcycles at least is always leaking less.
Given you have a proper rim.

Cars in the modern world is always tubeless.
Only in thailand i have seen people put tubes into car tires, probably because the rim is gone.

You could possibly also live on cheaper tires.
But it causes a lot of problems.

Seriously? I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles on tubeless tyres with tubes fitted, and never had one explode.

Seriously? I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles on tubeless tyres with tubes fitted, and never had one explode.
Yes.

Very few people blow a tire in their lifetime.
So your statistical mileage is still low.

Check this specific truck for example.
Tubeless or not?

In the the western world tubes in car tires is history.
No such thing anymore.
Exception can always be found.
Less than 1% for sure.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, Lampang2 said:

Yes.

Very few people blow a tire in their lifetime.
So your statistical mileage is still low.

Check this specific truck for example.
Tubeless or not?

In the the western world tubes in car tires is history.
No such thing anymore.
Exception can always be found.
Less than 1% for sure.

I doubt I'll ever have a problem finding a tube if I want one.

I doubt I'll ever have a problem finding a tube if I want one.
Wikipedia
Tubeless
"Traditional designs of pneumatic tires required a separate inner tube which could fail for a number of reasons, such as incorrect tire fit, friction between the tire wall and inner tube generating excess heat, or a puncture. Tubeless tire technology does away with the need for an inner tube thereby increasing safety."

Stubbornness is not knowledge.
Doing as I always have done is not progressing.
It's plain ignorance.