Buying A Domain Name From A Private Seller

Simmo

I've agreed a price with someone for purchasing a domain name they have parked doing nothing. Obviously I don't want to pay the money first and be left with nothing. Looked at some of the escrow services but they only offer credit card or paypal payment for US residents.

Anyone with advice on how to proceed?

The seller is in Korea so I'm a bit wary.

I've agreed a price with someone for purchasing a domain name they have parked doing nothing. Obviously I don't want to pay the money first and be left with nothing. Looked at some of the escrow services but they only offer credit card or paypal payment for US residents.

Anyone with advice on how to proceed?

The seller is in Korea so I'm a bit wary.

How much money are we talking here?

open an account at the same company the domain is registered, send money to the company and tell them to credit the sellers account when the name has been transfered.

or open a account with a company that offers escrow.

if your going to use a different registrar be careful that the name is over 3 months old, or else you will not be able to change registrars until after 3 months.

open an account at the same company the domain is registered, send money to the company and tell them to credit the sellers account when the name has been transfered.

or open a account with a company that offers escrow.

if your going to use a different registrar be careful that the name is over 3 months old, or else you will not be able to change registrars until after 3 months.

Good tactics Clipster. However be aware not everyone likes to use Escrow (for whatever reason).

How much money are we talking here?

Nothing huge - $200US.

The seller wants to use escrow.com - and I pay the $25 fee. Seems pretty reasonable, I'll go ahead with it.

You shouldn't have any problems then. He's probably as worried about giving away his domain as you are the cash. :o