Cloudy Stains on Glass Doors

49er

Hi, I'm having trouble cleaning glass in my apartment.  Water has left a white cloudy stain.  Maybe this is from hard water.  When I clean it appears fine at first.  The cloudiness is gone.  However, then when it dries the white cloudy colour appears again.  The surface is a little rough, like frosted glass. I have tried using vinegar but the same happens.  It will completely remove it but then it dries and it goes back to a white cloudy colour.  I'm wondering if anyone knows how to clean (which products) or if you know a service that could clean this.  It’s hard to believe that simple water can do this.  Not sure if it’s because it is hard water or not.  Thank you.

3C2714AD-0A35-4C1F-A71E-7F64651C2BD1.jpeg

Vinegar will remove hard water scale, and it works quicker if it is warm.

But it looks to me as though someone has inadvisedly use some sort of very strong chemical (acid?) on those panes and has permanently damaged the surface. In the top section one can also see sideways marks that look like they have been caused by scouring, which would be unusual on glass.
So in that sort of frame in a bathroom I'm wondering if it is even real glass at all and not just some sort of plastic? Plastic is more easily damaged by rough treatment and it might be simplest just to replace the panes altogether as making an invisible repair to a damaged plastic surface is more or less impossible.

20 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Vinegar will remove hard water scale, and it works quicker if it is warm.

But it looks to me as though someone has inadvisedly use some sort of very strong chemical (acid?) on those panes and has permanently damaged the surface. In the top section one can also see sideways marks that look like they have been caused by scouring, which would be unusual on glass.
So in that sort of frame in a bathroom I'm wondering if it is even real glass at all and not just some sort of plastic? Plastic is more easily damaged by rough treatment and it might be simplest just to replace the panes altogether as making an invisible repair to a damaged plastic surface is more or less impossible.

I recon your right there 

I think someone threw the wrong chemical on during a cleaning attempt 

To give the vinegar a real chance to work, soak paper towels in vinegar, place them on the glass surface and let them sit.  For best results, re-moisten the towels (I use a spray bottle with vinegar) before they dry out.  It took a couple of soaks, but I got one very cloudy shower stall door back to crystal clear.  Not much rubbing required after the soak, either.  The landlord was stunned when I checked out and he saw the clear glass.

• Like 1

You are right. What vinegar can do is magical. Using your paper towel method it can effortlessly, and I mean effortlessly, remove all mold and discoloration from shower silicone by soaking alone. It's also perfect for cleaning windows to crystal clear perfection. But this day in age the masses have been conditioned to turn to the big chemical companies whenever they need to do anything. Their products don't work nearly as well and cost more. Vinegar is a well kept secret.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canopy said:

Vinegar is a well kept secret.

Vinegar, baking soda & hydrogen peroxide are the best and cheapest cleaning aids for the household, only one problem is they are all dirt cheap so never advertised as such! They all have multiple uses as well, throw away the toothpaste that is full of chemicals and use baking soda or hydrogen peroxide! Doubtless the manufacturers of said product will tell you how bad alternatives are! :shock1:

I have been cleaning my teeth with baking soda....28bt a packet

saved a fortune not going to the dentist for laser whitening!

Just once a week and remarkable results but it really is horrible when mixed with lemon juice.