Pension

I have a Police Pension which from February will be paid into my New Natiowide account instead of Lloyds because better deal.

I also posed a query with my Police pension dept about paying pension into Thailand also in the event of my Death can my wifes Police Widows pension be paid into her Thai account?

They replied that there TAPS agreement with Bank of Scotland does not cover Thailand. Sorry cannot help

Whilst its not a big problem, it would be easier when I pop my clogs .It means that replacement cards have to go to a UK mailing address, which again at the moment is not a problembut it means unessessary problem for the wife in the future.

Any input gratefully received

I don't believe there is any way around it. For US we can have government payments made direct into a special no ATM own name account in Thailand but wife would not have access and upon death the account would be closed (Bangkok Bank account). After death survivor must make applications for survivor payments and this can not be done prior to death so not a good deal for foreign wives who may not be 100% with English. In the case of US survivor payments no US tax is required to be paid so that is a plus point.

I have a Police Pension which from February will be paid into my New Natiowide account instead of Lloyds because better deal.

I also posed a query with my Police pension dept about paying pension into Thailand also in the event of my Death can my wifes Police Widows pension be paid into her Thai account?

They replied that there TAPS agreement with Bank of Scotland does not cover Thailand. Sorry cannot help

Whilst its not a big problem, it would be easier when I pop my clogs .It means that replacement cards have to go to a UK mailing address, which again at the moment is not a problembut it means unessessary problem for the wife in the future.

Have you considered opening an offshore account in Jersey/Isle of Man or similar in joint names using your Thai address ? You could have the pension paid into that and have Visa cards allowing you to draw money worldwide.

I don't believe there is any way around it. For US we can have government payments made direct into a special no ATM own name account in Thailand but wife would not have access and upon death the account would be closed (Bangkok Bank account). After death survivor must make applications for survivor payments and this can not be done prior to death so not a good deal for foreign wives who may not be 100% with English. In the case of US survivor payments no US tax is required to be paid so that is a plus point.

Have you considered opening an offshore account in Jersey/Isle of Man or similar in joint names using your Thai address ? You could have the pension paid into that and have Visa cards allowing you to draw money worldwide.

THanks guys: Yes I have a Nationwide Flex account in the UK and what I will do is turn it into a joint account

The Police Pension is already confirmed for my Thai wife and is on there Data base.

Nationwide will not send cards to Thailand, but I have a Uk mailing address so when I push up daisies new cards can be forwarded to my wife as and when. I confirm there is no double tax code between the UK and THailand so yes a bonus