Woman Who Lost Leg in Traffic Collision Says Car Driver Yet to Pay Compensation

snoop1130

Woman Who Lost Leg in Traffic Collision Says Car Driver Yet to Pay Compensation

by CityNews

legless.jpg

CityNews – A traffic collision two months ago that caused a woman to lose her leg has reported that she has not yet received any support from the driver that collided with her motorbike despite an agreement at the time.

The collision between a motorcycle and a car occurred on February 28th this year near Wat Ram Poeng, Suthep. Junjira ‘Fon’ Jaikam, 23, was riding her bike with her husband when a car driven by Nuttapon Puntaka, 21, crossed the middle of the road and crashed into them in their lane. 

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/woman-lost-leg-traffic-collision-says-car-driver-yet-pay-compensation/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-04-27

17 hours ago, happy chappie said:

From the other report,tv detectives were reporting she was English,then she wasn't,then it was a farang driving the pick up but now it's all local natives...thai media,can make one story become many stories.

Perhaps you mean the accident on Phuket on the 24th? 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/woman-loses-leg-in-phuket-road-accident-66897.php#klpfoRuP7iUeLsEJ.97

57 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

"Nuttapon stated that he was driving at a normal speed, and was avoiding a parked motorcycle on the side of the road when he crashed with Fon."

Typical!  I see this every day!  Thai drivers don't understand that if something is blocking their way, they should slow-down or stop, if it's unsafe to overtake.

A couple of weeks ago, I was travelling along a dual-carriageway.  A motorcyclist, oblivious to his surroundings, came-out from a side road.  The car in-front of me had time to slow-down, but just pulled-out to overtake, right into the side of an overtaking pickup.  The motorcyclist didn't even give them a glance, and carried-on, in his virtual dreamworld.

I used to like driving, even in Thailand, but the roads are getting more dangerous by the day.  If it wasn't for the packs of soi dogs, I'd prefer to walk the short journeys.

You stand a better chance with the rabid soi dogs I think.

1 hour ago, Swimman said:
1 hour ago, wanderluster said:

14,000,000 for a half leg? are we in america?

Approx $437,000 is not a huge sum in respect of a severe life-changing injury which requires the use of a very expensive prosthetic which will require periodic replacement. Perhaps you think a Thai person should just accept their lot and struggle around on a pair of homemade crutches? 

Relatively compared to Thailand it presumably is.

A quick Google-search revels:

"The U.S Bureau of the Census has the annual real median personal income at $31,099 in 2016"; i.e. $437,000/$31,000 equals 14 year.

"Wages in Thailand averaged 9343.95 THB/Month from 1999 until 2017, reaching an all time high of 13971.36 THB/Month in the fourth quarter of 2017"; i.e. approximately 160.000 baht/year. 14 million baht equals some 87 years or more.

Compared to the Red Bull heir that managed to get away with a compensation of 1 million baht for the life of a police officer, 14 million baht for amputation of part of a leg seem relative too high; especially as numerous people has managed to be quite functional with a prosthesis.

The 1 million baht seem to a common standard compensation for a lost life – also what vehicle insurance terms states – I'm however not arguing if that specific amount is fair or not. It equals 6 years of Thai average income at it's highest (2017), and some 8 years of the average measured from 1999 until 2017. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Perhaps you mean the accident on Phuket on the 24th? 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/woman-loses-leg-in-phuket-road-accident-66897.php#klpfoRuP7iUeLsEJ.97

Yes I see you are correct and sorry I was mistaken with the later crash.sometimes the reports are so out of date on t it does get a little bit confusing.i thought that maybe all the dates may of got mixed up or the later report had popped back up of tv...two reports of women losing their leg in Phuket in one week doesn't happen very often on tv and thank you for clarifying this.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Relatively compared to Thailand it presumably is.

A quick Google-search revels:

"The U.S Bureau of the Census has the annual real median personal income at $31,099 in 2016"; i.e. $437,000/$31,000 equals 14 year.

"Wages in Thailand averaged 9343.95 THB/Month from 1999 until 2017, reaching an all time high of 13971.36 THB/Month in the fourth quarter of 2017"; i.e. approximately 160.000 baht/year. 14 million baht equals some 87 years or more.

Compared to the Red Bull heir that managed to get away with a compensation of 1 million baht for the life of a police officer, 14 million baht for amputation of part of a leg seem relative too high; especially as numerous people has managed to be quite functional with a prosthesis.

The 1 million baht seem to a common standard compensation for a lost life – also what vehicle insurance terms states – I'm however not arguing if that specific amount is fair or not. It equals 6 years of Thai average income at it's highest (2017), and some 8 years of the average measured from 1999 until 2017. 

It's always better to ask for more, because you never receive what you're asking for.

If they receive 3 million, they can be more than happy.