Will multiple non-o visas from loas eventually be a problem?

I have just went to Vientiane and received my second non-o visa based on my children being Thai. I elected to go to loas and get my visa opposed to getting a 12 month extension at the local immigration office because I needed a holiday.

I have all the documents and financial proof needed for the 12 month extension but i feel that 17 months in the country is too long.

My question is, will I eventually end up having a problem going to Vientiane every 5 months applying for non-o's? I know they don't like people doing multiple tourist visas in the same way.

Will I eventually have a problem with the local immigration office?

Any advice is appreciated.

If you getting the 60 day extension you will not have a problem getting a new non-o visa. Many people are doing it.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Penang if you have the financial proof.

If you get an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai it is for one year each time you apply for it. If you want travel you can get re-entry permit you don't have to stay for the entire year unless you want to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Salengrider said:

I have all the documents and financial proof needed for the 12 month extension but i feel that 17 months in the country is too long.

You don’t have to stay in the country permanently. You can leave/re-enter as often as you want with a re-entry permit.

My question is, will I eventually end up having a problem going to Vientiane every 5 months applying for non-o's?

You shouldn’t have any problem. They only limit Tourist Visas because tourism is meant to be short term. 

Will I eventually have a problem with the local immigration office?

An officious IO might give you a hard time and say you should be on a 12 month extension of stay if you’re living in the country, but the chances are you won’t have a problem.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you getting the 60 day extension you will not have a problem getting a new non-o visa. Many people are doing it.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Penang if you have the financial proof.

Does Penang offer 1 year non-o visas as well? What is the financial proof in non-o case? 20.000 or 400.000/800.000 baht?

14 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Does Penang offer 1 year non-o visas as well? What is the financial proof in non-o case? 20.000 or 400.000/800.000 baht?

They will do a multiple entry non-o visa based upon be married to a Thai or being the parent of one. They 400k baht in a bank and/or proof of 40k baht income.

I have not seen a recent post of them doing one for being 50 or over for retirement but they have done them in the past. It would be 800k baht and/or 65k baht income.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, elviajero said:

An officious IO might give you a hard time and say you should be on a 12 month extension of stay if you’re living in the country, but the chances are you won’t have a problem.

How do you get a 12 month extension of stay?

The immigration office in my province never mentions that possibility to me when I ask for the 60 days extension...

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They will do a multiple entry non-o visa based upon be married to a Thai or being the parent of one. They 400k baht in a bank and/or proof of 40k baht income.

I have not seen a recent post of them doing one for being 50 or over for retirement but they have done them in the past. It would be 800k baht and/or 65k baht income.

I cannot speak about Penang but I have had three 12 month, multiple entry non-O visas (1 from the U.K., 2 from Savannakhet) and I have never needed to show any evidence of funds. I am married to a Thai.

48 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

How do you get a 12 month extension of stay?

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your non-o visa at your local immigration office.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your non-o visa at your local immigration office.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

OK, so that works only for a visa based on marriage, not for a visa based on having a Thai child...

8 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

OK, so that works only for a visa based on marriage, not for a visa based on having a Thai child...

If you are the legal parent of your child by way of marriage or legitimization of your parenthood you can apply for a one year extension.

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are the legal parent of your child by way of marriage or legitimization of your parenthood you can apply for a one year extension.

I am not married, but can you explain what you call legitimization?

My son bears my name and my name is on his birth certificate...can he be more legitimate than that?

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

My son bears my name and my name is on his birth certificate...can he be more legitimate than that?

Your name on the birth certificate does not make you the legal father of your unless you were married to their mother when they were born or if married after birth.

This topic has info.

4 hours ago, Brunolem said:

You need to go to court to get the paper i front of a judge.I am doing mine in the end of this month(I am in the same position as you). I got my 1 year multi entry just now ,with only the birth-sertificate and the court date set on papers from a lawyer.Yes mine also have my name on thai passport and birth-sertificate.Only financial proof was about 250k stated on bank-statement.(It helps to get the mothers consent before you go to court)

Best of luck