Project to identify cause of 'flesh-eating disease' in Northeast

webfact

Project seeks illness cause in Northeast

By CHULARAT SAENGPASSA 
THE NATION 

72d0260223d31ce75eb196e8dcf4f4c0-sld.jpe

UNIVERSITIES COOPERATE IN RESEARCH TO IDENTIFY CAUSE OF FLESH-EATING DISEASE

NONG BUA LAMPHU, where many cases of a “flesh-eating disease” have been detected in recent years, has kickstarted a province-wide research project on environmental contaminants in what looks set to become a model for other provinces. 

With a start-up fund of Bt1.3 million from the provincial government, researchers say the study aims to protect the health of locals from potentially harmful farm chemicals and result in an overall better local environment.

8b4552de5cf671831272d4166815e89d.jpeg

Researchers from Naresuan University will start gathering soil and water samples before the end of this month in collaboration with several other universities, including Suranaree University of Technology.

“All government units in the province will join this research,” said Nong Bua Lamphu governor Thanakorn Ungjitpaisan. “We are set to dig deep into the causes of people’s health problems.” 

The research project, which is often referred to as the “Nong Bua Lamphu model”, is being launched because a 2017 research report hinted at a possible link between health problems and leftover farm chemicals.

8df368adf81d02841817ec3dbd0c8a59.jpeg

“I hope this full-scale research will become a model for other northeastern provinces that have plenty of sugarcane plantations. Such farms usually use a quite high amount of chemicals,” Thanakorn said. 

The governor said he did not want people to be panicked but rather become well aware of possible dangers from farm chemicals. He believes that awareness will guide people towards the right, healthy path.

The story of the scare over a flesh-eating disease in Nong Bua Lamphu began years ago.

In Nong Bua Lamphu, 213 cases of necrotising fasciitis and 2,468 cases of cellulitis have been detected each year between 2013 and 2017.

At Nong Bua Lamphu Hospital in this northeastern province, about 120 people have been diagnosed with necrotising fasciitis, or the flesh-eating disease, each year since 2014. The disease causes deaths and amputations in severe cases. Patients reported long-time exposure to water in public water sources and paddy fields. 

Worried about these cases, the Nong Bua Lamphu public-health office commissioned research on farm-chemical leftovers in the local environment. The research was conducted last year, with Tambon Boontan in the province’s Suwannakhuha district chosen as the target area. 

da0d0d52845b57683f934cc1b2add8d4.jpeg

There are about 14,437 rai (2,310 hectares) of farmland in Tambon Boontan. Of that, 9,000 rai are rubber plantations, 2,345 rai are sugarcane plantations, and 1,424 rai are planted in cassava. Most-used chemicals are Ametrine (10,540 litres per year), Glyphosate (5,012 litres per year) and Paraquat (4,486 litres per year). 

Paraquat focus of attention

Paraquat has posed concerns because local farmers were found to have used over-concentrated paraquat mixtures, four times higher than the recommended amount, in sugarcane plantations. 

At least 10 people in Tambon Boontan have suffered from chronic necrotising fasciitis. 

“The 2017 research has led to the Nong Bua Lamphu model,” said research head Associate Professor Puangrat Kajitvichyanukul from Naresuan University. 

After heading the 2017 research, she has now taken a leading role in the upcoming environmental research for the whole province. 

“This time, several universities will join the research team,” Puangrat said. 

The overall team will include teams from Naresuan University, Suranaree University of Technology, Rajamangala University of Technology Isan, Silpakorn University, Khon Kaen University and Mahidol University. 

“We will start the research with the Bt1.3 million budget from the Nong Bua Lamphu provincial government. But later on, we will seek funding from the National Research Council of Thailand,” Puangrat said. “Our research project will be really comprehensive.” 

4e335ef41a100a047ee49cb836fd6a75.jpeg

According to Puangrat, the team from Naresuan University will be in charge of science, environment and technology aspects and Mahidol University will help with medicine-related issues.

In addition to studying environmental contaminants, researchers will look into land use, address zoning and assess the need to designate buffer zones. 

“In Nong Bua Lamphu, farmland is not far away from residential zones. They lie along houses, temples, and health stations,” Puangrat noted. 

Leftover chemicals

She hoped that with the research, technological solutions would also be introduced to remove leftover chemicals from the water destined for tap-water services. 

“In the end, we will not focus just on the flesh-eating diseases but also all other health issues and quality of life,” Puangrat said. 

In regard to social communications and policies, she said the Khon Kaen and Silpakorn universities would take a leading role. 

“They will communicate with locals to create a good understanding,” she said.

Puangrat said in the final analysis, she hoped that the research would create sustainable solutions for people. 

“We will also collaborate closely with local government agencies so that after the end of the research, they will know what to do when problems arise and how to solve them,” she said. 

854b858eb32bce2f5bcb1b9b4f4215ee.jpeg

Although her 2017 research has sparked serious debate over whether to ban paraquat in Thailand as many other countries have done, Puangrat said her aim was to inform the public and recommend solutions. 

“When people know about problems, they will be naturally keen to embrace solutions,” Puangrat said. “My upcoming research will present organic farming, eventually.” 

According to the Nong Bua Lamphu governor, the use of farm chemicals had reduced since local farmers in Tambon Boontan had learned about the high concentration of paraquat residues in the local environment.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30344736

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-07

An eighty year old friend caught the disease, he lived in the Siri suburb of Bangkok for many years. Fortunately he fully recovered after about three months. 

I will spare adding photos because they are gruesome.

I wish them good luck in studying this, because there are so many potentially confounding factors.  Why are farming chemicals even suspected?  Is there a plausible mechanism as to how exposure to (for example) a pesticide could lead to necrotizing fasciitis?

I hope the studies don't simply stop at finding links (as in: "Divorce rate in Maine is linked to per capita consumption of margarine"), but actually proceed onto finding causation.

Besides, don't we already know what causes necrotizing fasciitis?  NF is typically caused by one or more of a group of gram-positive bacteria that commonly live on our skin and in our nasal passages.  They are not usually a threat unless they get under our skin through a cut or are rubbed-in (such as in the act of scratching a mosquito bite).  This is a common cause of boils - which I might add I have never had in my life until I came to Thailand, and now have had five or six of them in various places with in a span of just a few years.

It would be nice to see a test community in the afflicted area taught about personal hygiene, such as frequent hand washing (with soap), wearing shoes when outside, refraining from nose-picking as much as possible, not rubbing your dirty fingernails on your mosquito bites, not sneezing openly when others are around, and so on.  We surely need to look at the possibility of antibiotic overuse as a complicating factor, too.

But farm chemicals?

• Like 1

The problem with Paraquat is that it is highly soil persistence. It just accumulate to dangerous level. Reason why many countries has banned paraquat and other related hydro-carbon chemicals. I hope the research will deal with this problem. 

35 minutes ago, attrayant said:

I wish them good luck in studying this, because there are so many potentially confounding factors.  Why are farming chemicals even suspected?  Is there a plausible mechanism as to how exposure to (for example) a pesticide could lead to necrotizing fasciitis?

I hope the studies don't simply stop at finding links (as in: "Divorce rate in Maine is linked to per capita consumption of margarine"), but actually proceed onto finding causation.

Besides, don't we already know what causes necrotizing fasciitis?  NF is typically caused by one or more of a group of gram-positive bacteria that commonly live on our skin and in our nasal passages.  They are not usually a threat unless they get under our skin through a cut or are rubbed-in (such as in the act of scratching a mosquito bite).  This is a common cause of boils - which I might add I have never had in my life until I came to Thailand, and now have had five or six of them in various places with in a span of just a few years.

It would be nice to see a test community in the afflicted area taught about personal hygiene, such as frequent hand washing (with soap), wearing shoes when outside, refraining from nose-picking as much as possible, not rubbing your dirty fingernails on your mosquito bites, not sneezing openly when others are around, and so on.  We surely need to look at the possibility of antibiotic overuse as a complicating factor, too.

But farm chemicals?

could be if the local water household changes its composition and the bacteria in-casu get a more favourable environment.
But not an easy to prove issue and therefore the Holistic approach involving several disciplines is a good idea.
Hope the Researchers achieve scientifically evident results, and a way to address the proliferation of disease causing bacteria. indeed one of the most horrible infections people can get.

And of course, addressing personal hygiene is not over the top, rather the contrary.

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

But farm chemicals?

Having an impaired immune system makes one more vulnerable to this particularly virulent bacteria. Paraquat has been shown to affect immune systems of laboratory mice, but the jury is still out on whether humans can be affected by its excessive or prolonged use.

Hopefully, Thailand can come up with some answers to the many questions surrounding this dreadful disease, the spread of which becomes even more ominous as the arsenal of effective antibiotics continues to shrink.

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The problem with Paraquat is that it is highly soil persistence. It just accumulate to dangerous level. Reason why many countries has banned paraquat and other related hydro-carbon chemicals. I hope the research will deal with this problem. 

are you trolling or do you actually believe that??

Paraquat Information advises :

Paraquat is intrinsically biodegradable as demonstrated in laboratory incubation studies with microorganisms in aqueous solution1. Various bacteria and fungi found in soil (eg Corynebacterium fascians, Lipomyces starkeyi, Aspergillus niger, Penicillium frequentans, Fusarium spp. and Pseudomonas spp.) have been found to readily metabolise paraquat. In experiments using cultures of microorganisms extracted from two UK agricultural soils, it was demonstrated unequivocally that radiolabelled paraquat was completely degraded in less than three weeks, mainly to carbon dioxide (detected as 14CO2). Other degradation products included ammonia and simple naturally-occurring organic acids.

However, in the field, very little applied paraquat is biologically available. When paraquat spray penetrates vegetation to reach the soil it undergoes binding (adsorption) to soil constituents, which is very strong and occurs immediately. This means that only very low concentrations of paraquat are available to any soil organisms"

16 minutes ago, wirat69 said:

are you trolling or do you actually believe that??

Paraquat Information advises :

Paraquat is intrinsically biodegradable as demonstrated in laboratory incubation studies with microorganisms in aqueous solution1. Various bacteria and fungi found in soil (eg Corynebacterium fascians, Lipomyces starkeyi, Aspergillus niger, Penicillium frequentans, Fusarium spp. and Pseudomonas spp.) have been found to readily metabolise paraquat. In experiments using cultures of microorganisms extracted from two UK agricultural soils, it was demonstrated unequivocally that radiolabelled paraquat was completely degraded in less than three weeks, mainly to carbon dioxide (detected as 14CO2). Other degradation products included ammonia and simple naturally-occurring organic acids.

However, in the field, very little applied paraquat is biologically available. When paraquat spray penetrates vegetation to reach the soil it undergoes binding (adsorption) to soil constituents, which is very strong and occurs immediately. This means that only very low concentrations of paraquat are available to any soil organisms"

Check your facts. You really know nothing about hydro-carbon chemicals. What a troll ?