Thaivisa Baht Site Launched

Sorry, but I don't think it's quite trustworthy - at least not for Danish currency. Here's TV's rate

Currency Exchange Rates at 2007-01-30 (mid-market rates)

DKK Danish Krone 6.21434 THB

This looks like data from about a year ago. Since then it has varied between 5.95 and 6.10.

Here's the rate from xe.com which is closer to what should be expected:

Live mid-market rates as of 2007.01.30 15:17:05 UTC.

1.00 DKK

Denmark Kroner = 5.98025 THB

Thailand Baht

Wonder whether the same problem applies to other (socalled) minor currencies?

Sorry, but I don't think it's quite trustworthy - at least not for Danish currency. Here's TV's rate

This looks like data from about a year ago. Since then it has varied between 5.95 and 6.10.

1.00 DKK

Thailand Baht

Remember the rate is different in thailand than offshore. :o

No Hong Kong dollar or I could not find it?

There is another site whose rates are accepted by the companies in Asia Pacific region when claiming expenses from business trips.

We will try to find a reliable source for HKD.

1.00 DKK

Thailand Baht

Bangkok Bank right now quotes DKK:

Currency Description Bank Note Buying Rates Selling Rates

Bill-DD-TT

Buying Rates Selling Rates Sight Bill TT

DKK Denmark 5.93 6.26 6.14750 6.16500 6.25000

Sorry for bad formatting, here is the page I am referring to:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/We...es/FX+Rates.htm

1.00 DKK

Thailand Baht

Okay. Assuming TV's rate is offshore - it would be an improvement if that piece of info was added. An even better improvement would be if TV's page shows both onshore and offshore rates - then it might beat them all as peoples favorite.

1.00 DKK

Thailand Baht

Okay. Assuming TV's rate is offshore - it would be an improvement if that piece of info was added. An even better improvement would be if TV's page shows both onshore and offshore rates - then it might beat them all as peoples favorite.

Good idea, will speak with our programmer.

We have exchange rates from today, currently in BETA, updated every hour for the time being.

http://baht.thaivisa.com

Do you like it? Your feedback please. Thanks! :o

A great idea but just think it out George. A guy from the UK coming to Thailand sees the rate of 70.16 on your rate chart. What will he say when he finds out that the rate in the UK....and a good rate that is, not Travelex at the airport or Thomas Cook is no higher than 65 ! ( the aformentioned two probably give 60 as the baht is considered an exotic currency in the UK) The reason for the discrepancy is the difference beween the offshore rate and the rate over here in Bangkok so perhaps you should state whether the rate you quote is the one for Thailand or the one outside Thailand as the difference is quite large.

Secondly for those over here the rate today for sterling notes at most banks was around 69 so won't viewers be rather disappointed when they go to change their pound for baht ?

Thirdly what is wrong with the currency rates online of sites such of Bangkok Bank , Siam Commercial, Kasigorn , Krung Thai ? Their rates are updated up to 10 times a day (max) and they are totally reliable as one can actually trade on the rates quoted with differing rates for buy and sell, notes, travellers and transfers.

What do others think ?

Edited by topfield

We have exchange rates from today, currently in BETA, updated every hour for the time being.

A great idea but just think it out George. A guy from the UK coming to Thailand sees the rate of 70.16 on your rate chart. What will he say when he finds out that the rate in the UK....and a good rate that is, not Travelex at the airport or Thomas Cook is no higher than 65 ! ( the aformentioned two probably give 60 as the baht is considered an exotic currency in the UK) The reason for the discrepancy is the difference beween the offshore rate and the rate over here in Bangkok so perhaps you should state whether the rate you quote is the one for Thailand or the one outside Thailand as the difference is quite large.

Secondly for those over here the rate today for sterling notes at most banks was around 69 so won't viewers be rather disappointed when they go to change their pound for baht ?

Thirdly what is wrong with the currency rates online of sites such of Bangkok Bank , Siam Commercial, Kasigorn , Krung Thai ? Their rates are updated up to 10 times a day (max) and they are totally reliable as one can actually trade on the rates quoted with differing rates for buy and sell, notes, travellers and transfers.

What do others think ?

I think, that TV's page won't appeal much to currency traders or others who want to follow rates minute by minute (of course) but to those of us who don't have any immediate exchange needs, but merely want to keep track of which way the wind blows, it's nice to have a convenient one-stop place to check.

Hi George,

As an engineering consultant who is transferring various currencies to my Thai accounts on a regular basis I have found your conversion chart to be currently not too far off the mark when comparing them with exchange rates out of my office here in Dubai, where I currently am situated. You quoted around an average of 35.8 against the US$ today and this morning I transferred US$4K. My transfers bank to bank are pretty quick (a few hours in office times) and I received 35.51 on the transfer, so not too bad in the current climate.

May I suggest one slight improvement if possible, add the time of day that the conversion is updated. Commerce exchanges can be completed within hours, so it is worth quoting such a fact on your page if this is possible.

Take care.........RayBan :D

No doubt about it. If as an earlier posting suggested, were you to show both onshore and offshore rates , your list would be truly unique, the only one in existance and therefore might be come the number one baht rate exchange rate list in the world.

No doubt about it. If as an earlier posting suggested, were you to show both onshore and offshore rates , your list would be truly unique, the only one in existance and therefore might be come the number one baht rate exchange rate list in the world.

Then we do like that! Give us a day or two!

It's great, George. It puts ThaiVisa at the top of the field.

:o:D:D:D

Good idea, but i think we should nominate someone who can manage it properly.

It needs someone dedicated, almost fixated on this subject. Someone who is prepared to monitor movements diligently night and day for thaivisa members' benefit. Someone who understands and can analyse on our behalf the intricacies of each fluctuation.

Now, who do we know with the passion and the time on their hands to do that? I'm damned if I can think of anyone.

Perhaps we could begin developing a field of candidates, and see who tops it?

Nominations anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
It's great, George. It puts ThaiVisa at the top of the field.

:o:D:D:D

Good idea, but i think we should nominate someone who can manage it properly.

It needs someone dedicated, almost fixated on this subject. Someone who is prepared to monitor movements diligently night and day for thaivisa members' benefit. Someone who understands and can analyse on our behalf the intricacies of each fluctuation.

Now, who do we know with the passion and the time on their hands to do that? I'm damned if I can think of anyone.

Perhaps we could begin developing a field of candidates, and see who tops it?

Nominations anyone?

George great job

There will allways be teething problems in set up.

Back off people give George a chance.

Actually, the key rate, IMO, is the Interbank Exchange Rate (IER). This is the baseline rate used when using your homecountry credit card, debit card, or ATM card in a foreign country (discounted by the 1% foreign transaction fee charged by Visa/MC, which some banks add on to, while a few (very few) absorb and don't pass on).

The IER used to be fairly straightforward. But with the volatile baht, there now seems to be an "offshore" and an "onshore" IER. For example, Bank of Thailand is showing an IER of 35.77 baht to the $ for Feb 12, while Oanda.com is showing 33.70!! And it is this latter rate that now applies to my ATM and credit card usage in Thailand. So, showing the offshore IER would seem to be pertinent these days.

The second important rate IMO is the telex rate. This, historically, has been slightly lower than the IER, thus giving credence to using homecountry plastic over here -- if you have one of the few 'no fee' cards anyway. These days, however, it would seem wiring money makes sense, even with the fees on both ends. Why? B of T reported a telex rate of 35.66 yesterday. Compare this to the offshore IER of 33.70. Actually, no comparison.

So, I vote for also showing the telex rate, if that can be squeezed in.

Edited by JimGant

Then we do like that! Give us a day or two!

... or three, four, etc., etc., etc...