Thai Wives Visiting Eu Countries

Can Thai wives of british guys visit other EU countries ?

do they need to apply to each countries embassy or will having a settlement visa

suffice?

i know a little abouut schengen visas but was wondering do they have to go through

the same rigmarole and expense as when applying for a UK visa from Thailand ?

any info or direction to threads or sites would be great! :o

You did not say whether your wife lives in Thailand or the UK. However when my wife and I lived in the UK holding her "spouses" VISA and then having ILR ( indefinate leave to remain ) , on every occasion when visiting mainland EU countries she was required to obtain a VISA from the country she would visit first, or at least that is what the rules say. Of course this was normally France and from there of course, after that first entry, she could then go on to visit other EU countries without a further VISA. This VISA would be valid for six months. After 6 months you had to do the whole process again. The reason is that the UK, in it's infinite wisdom did not sign up to the Schengen agreement so hence a UK VISA does not hold good for the other EU countries. Why? well apparently they were worried about immigration!! as it is out of control only in the UK I wonder what genious came to that conclusion.

The good news was that as she applied at the French Embassy in the UK and was married to a citizen (British) of the EU there is no cost for the VISA. Also it is a very simple form and only has to show of course her own passport, husbands passport and an amount of cash which I can not remeber how much now but it was about £300 I think.

However those are the facts from my experience. I guess if you are living in Thailand currently exactly the same rules would apply but not sure about the cost waiver.

Hope this helps.

Edited by gummy

Depending on whether the country is a schengen member depends on how many visa she has to apply for. Being the spouse of a british citizen doens't guarantee a entry to any country including the the UK without a visa. But if you apply for example to the French Embassy & they issue her with a 6month schengen, then she can travel to any of the member countries during that period.

Some people say you have to visit the country that issue the visa first but my (thai) husband was given a schengen from the Swedish embassy but were then unable to go so booked flights to see my dad in spain instead & were not quesitoned as to why we changed our destination at the airport.

If she is resident in Thailand she should apply for the schengen visa at the applicable EU embassy in Thailand,(thats the rules) it'll still be free though as she has a UK spouse.

Thanks Guys ! my wife has not arrived in the UK yet but i know for sure she will want to visit Paris at some time, I think I will leave my wallet at home :o

hello there if your thai wife is in the uk and you wish to visit a eu country (AS A SPOUSE OF AN EUROPEAN UNION CITIZEN) i would say go to the french embassy in london

(WE DID THIS YESTERDAY) you will need the following: 2 passport photos of your wife,her passport and your passport,marriage cert translated into english and stamped by an embassy etc,And a completed application form and photocopies of both passports,marriage cert,and wedding cert, (VERY INPORTANT DO NOT FORGET PHOTOCOPIES) You will have to make a appiontment which you can do on line ,and the cost is free once you have the visa you can visit any eu country. do not forget appionment letter or you will not get in,

web site

http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/articl...?id_article=318

all the best pete and som