IBM To Establish Information Technology Research Center In Thailand

Jai Dee

IBM to establish Information Technology Research Center in Thailand

The management of IBM corporation have entered discussions with the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance involving the establishment of an Information Technolocy Research Center in Thailand.

The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakul (ปรีดียาธร เทวกุล), said that the management of IBM corporation recently met with him to discuss cooperation with Thailand in services science, with an emphasis on information technology foundations. M.R. Pridiyathorn said that in the future, the world would rely more greatly on information technology and Thailand would need to produce qualified IT students. The Deputy Prime Minister reports that the Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology is cooperating with 8 universities in providing information technology courses in order to adequately train students in the matter.

The National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA), and the Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology will also be cooperating with IBM corporation in establishing a specialized information technology center.

The center will hold student and professional exchange programs to share expertise in information technology between nations.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 February 2007

IBM to help Thailand excel in IT

A team of IBM managers from the United States met with Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Pridiyathorn Devakula to discuss the establishment of the central information technology research center.

M.R. Pridiyathorn said the IBM managers have also signed several agreements to help Thailand develop technological service science. He said that Thai people need to study technological service science in order to catch up with global changes, and therefore, an IT institute has to be set up to produce more students in this field. He said Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology will coordinate with eight other universities in determining the curricula for the students in this area of concentration.

The National Science and Technology Development Agency, the Software Industry Promotion Agency, and Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology will cooperate with IBM Thailand Company to set up the central information technology research center. Student exchange programme project on IT study will be developed, and IBM will send experts to help conduct researches at the central information technology research center.

The center will help push Thailand to become the leader of technological service science, similar to India where many skilled human resources are able to generate revenues to the country.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 February 2007

The center will help push Thailand to become the leader of technological service science, similar to India where many skilled human resources are able to generate revenues to the country.

Don't make me laugh, similar to India my foot!

The Indians are quite smart and are by and large very hard working yet as a country they are currently struggling to find enough educated and talented people able do the work that is coming into their country in huge bucket loads. Personally, I think the solution here would be to move those few Thais with the required skills to India in an already established and growing market rather than let IBM invest all its time, money and energy into a country that doesn't really want it.

I mean come on, can you imagine opening up Thailand in the same way that india has been opened up to develop global software solutions or indeed moving all of the current 'international' call / service centres from India to Thailand instead. It is bad enough talking to an Indian call centre as it is where even the best pronounciations can be marred by terrible accents, so can you imagine what it will be like here where the average Thai has difficulty counting to ten (go on ask any Thai to count and you will hear one, two, tee, four, figh, sick, sewen, aye, nigh, ten) and where the cost of calls would go up as you wait for Chaivat to sift through the online dictionary whilst sucking on a bowl of somtam or reading the latest comic.

Even moving software development to Thailand (if this is the plan) would be a joke as the software development costs would triple as productivity dwindles to bouts of keyboard clacking in between gossiping with friends and chomping on yet more kanom every ten to fifteen minutes.

You have to admire the Thai authorities for their visionary yet superficial attempts at progress but I have to wonder if they happened to tell IBM about the current rules on investing here as well as'wanting to do it the Thai way' ... Jeez give me strength...

Edited by Casanundra

You have it around the wrong way.

IBM are going to help the government find some information about technology. Then they will use their establishments in other countries to analyse it. :o

As useful information is sadly lacking in Thailand they need the assistance to identify what is considered useful.

I work in IT business. IT requires a lot of precision, be it in hardware or software. Thais base their life on socially comfortable living, normally take any jobs not too seriously, making everything just look as if it was actually working. "We're out of rice, just eat noodles". "We don't have this fridge in stainless, just take it in blue". It will take IBM super-userfriendly software and computer parts that don't break when they lie on rice/fish during breaks.

Thais might be one of the nicest nations on earth, but they are NOT ready to compete with other countries regarding IT.

I work in IT business. IT requires a lot of precision, be it in hardware or software. Thais base their life on socially comfortable living, normally take any jobs not too seriously, making everything just look as if it was actually working. "We're out of rice, just eat noodles". "We don't have this fridge in stainless, just take it in blue". It will take IBM super-userfriendly software and computer parts that don't break when they lie on rice/fish during breaks.

Thais might be one of the nicest nations on earth, but they are NOT ready to compete with other countries regarding IT.

I work near a MNC with 700+ developers and growing, where Thailand is one of their worldwide development center.

So, while Thailand can really compete with India in this industry, software can still be developed here.

While in limited supply, there are IT resources there, whether you like it or not.

I work near a MNC with 700+ developers and growing, where Thailand is one of their worldwide development center.

So, while Thailand can't really compete with India in this industry, software can still be developed here.

While in limited supply, there are IT resources there, whether you like it or not.

I don't think anyone is disputing that there are some talented resources here in this industry but I bet they aren't as productive as those in India.

So, while Thailand can't really compete with India in this industry, software can still be developed here.

I don't think anyone is disputing that there are some talented resources here in this industry but I bet they aren't as productive as those in India.

The same productivity/competitive issue is not only affecting Thailand, but country like Singapore as well.

Thailand should not worry about India, but more about Vietnam.

This is a joke is it not?

I work as AP Regional ###### for a major MNC - we have offshore development outsourced in India for some systems and have our own data management centre theree too.

I have alo worked as an IT consultant in Thailand

I will not be holding my breath until Thailand is mentioned in the same sentence as IT and offshoring!

This is a joke is it not?

I work as AP Regional ###### for a major MNC - we have offshore development outsourced in India for some systems and have our own data management centre theree too.

I have alo worked as an IT consultant in Thailand

I will not be holding my breath until Thailand is mentioned in the same sentence as IT and offshoring!

http://th.jobsdb.com/TH/EN/Job.asp?R=JDBT0...=1&PSubAc=0

They don't do web site development there :-)

1,000 developers, I call this IT Offshoring.

Saying that developing software in Thailand is not done nor possible, is just plain incorrect.

It might be not as cost effective compare to other locations, but can and is done.

The main issue is Limited availability of resources, compare to other country.

personally, I don't think IBM has any business giving away american technology to any foreign country. this is a security issue. furthermore, the jobs that they are creating in thailand should be in america for americans. IBM hasn't learned yet that foreign countries don't give a sh#t about america. when IBM has given the technology to thailand, thailand will tell IBM to <deleted>#ked off.

what happened with the pharmaceuticals will happen with IBM.

millions of jobs have left america for overseas. and that is not right. I see a time coming when americans will take back what is rightfully theirs. the time is coming. these american companies are just too stupid to see it. but they will.

we put food on their tables with OUR jobs, and they call us imperialists. they say that they don't need us. I really don't see the logic of helping any foreign country by giving them OUR jobs. the jobs should be in america for americans.

IBM doesn't give a sh_t about America or Americans. They only care about making a profit, or more specifically, delivering the ROI which the investors demand. They don't really care how or where this is done, as long as the numbers are achieved. If business is good then the choices are usually better, but if achieving the ROI meant sacking every American employee then IBM would do it.

IBM doesn't give a sh_t about America or Americans. They only care about making a profit, or more specifically, delivering the ROI which the investors demand. They don't really care how or where this is done, as long as the numbers are achieved. If business is good then the choices are usually better, but if achieving the ROI meant sacking every American employee then IBM would do it.

AMEN

personally, I don't think IBM has any business giving away american technology to any foreign country. this is a security issue. furthermore, the jobs that they are creating in thailand should be in america for americans. IBM hasn't learned yet that foreign countries don't give a sh#t about america. when IBM has given the technology to thailand, thailand will tell IBM to <deleted>#ked off.

millions of jobs have left america for overseas. and that is not right. I see a time coming when americans will take back what is rightfully theirs. the time is coming. these american companies are just too stupid to see it. but they will.

we put food on their tables with OUR jobs, and they call us imperialists. they say that they don't need us. I really don't see the logic of helping any foreign country by giving them OUR jobs. the jobs should be in america for americans.

You seem to be under the misunderstanding that IBM would be doing this as some sort of charity.

US consumption is just about at 100%, US companies have no choice but to try and force the hand and get their companies, products and services overseas so as to increase sales, they aren't about to sudenly sell 5 times the amount of for example cans of coca-cola per day in the US.

In terms of US jobs, pension plans, unions, high wages and employees that don't believe they have to work hard are the reasons that jobs are shifting abroad, I personally can't think of anything made in the USA that is superior to a product from elsewhere, If I look around my study/living room the only thing that has anything to do with the US is the empty can of coke and the brand name of my cigarettes. All the important things are made in Asia (my computer, printer, monitor, projector, amplifier etc...). Seriously what's still made in the US? Ford, GM, GE - all these brands don't have a good reputation or a bright future!

there is a word for that - traitor.

these american companies are the root of all the problems. they give OUR technology to foreign countries, and then the <deleted>#king congress complains about foreign countries improving their arms. ..like WHO gave them the technology in the first place? ..look at what is happening with china. WE GAVE THEM the technology to improve their economy. and when we ask them to work with us to decrease the surplus. do they respond kindly with open arms, and respect. NO!! they tell us to <deleted>#k off. and yet, we are still willing to throw our technology, our resources, OUR jobs over there.

..this needs to change.

You seem to be under the misunderstanding that IBM would be doing this as some sort of charity.

US consumption is just about at 100%, US companies have no choice but to try and force the hand and get their companies, products and services overseas so as to increase sales, they aren't about to sudenly sell 5 times the amount of for example cans of coca-cola per day in the US.

In terms of US jobs, pension plans, unions, high wages and employees that don't believe they have to work hard are the reasons that jobs are shifting abroad, I personally can't think of anything made in the USA that is superior to a product from elsewhere, If I look around my study/living room the only thing that has anything to do with the US is the empty can of coke and the brand name of my cigarettes. All the important things are made in Asia (my computer, printer, monitor, projector, amplifier etc...). Seriously what's still made in the US? Ford, GM, GE - all these brands don't have a good reputation or a bright future!

I am under no misunderstandings.

the fact of the matter is - the american companies are the ones who misunderstand the problem.

let me put it to you this way... the scenario that you just described where everything is being produced OUTSIDE the usa. don't you think there is something wrong with this picture? if you don't, let me explain it to you. the security of the usa is in question. and it is because the stupid american companies can't see it.

we should do what chavez did, and nationalize all the american companies so that they don't continue along the path they are taking. eventually, america will be destroyed from within. the WITHIN being the american companies, and their stupid narrowminded goal of profits.

this is OUR technology, OUR jobs, OUR companies. NOT the ceo, coo, or any of the board of directors. these are AMERICAN companies.

foreign countries don't give a sh*t about us. all they want to do is steal from us. look at all the stolen technology, the stolen drugs, the stolen jobs. wake up before any more damage happens.

like a majority of them say quote, "they don't need us." and personally, "we don't need them".

Blimey who let the rednecks in?

And they say the Thai people are xenophobic and protectionistic in their views and then all of the posts above kick in... jesus on a cracker!

if you are calling me a redneck, then, let me say this - you are stupid.

the attitude I have is EXACTLY the same attitude that the thais have, the chinese have, the russians have, the indonesians have, the malaysians have, etc. NEED I GO ON???

if this attitude is good enough for them, then, it is good enough for me.

grow up.

Thanks to some farangs on here, I've learned that a number of you (if not majority) do look down on Thai people, our ability and our intelligence. I'll always keep this in mind and, whenever possible, tell all my friends about it. Thanks. And please don't whine when you get mistreated by Thai people. You get what you deserve.

Thanks to some farangs on here, I've learned that a number of you (if not majority) do look down on Thai people, our ability and our intelligence. I'll always keep this in mind and, whenever possible, tell all my friends about it. Thanks. And please don't whine when you get mistreated by Thai people. You get what you deserve.

I don't think anyone actively looks down on Thai people it's just that oftentimes Thais are the ones who set themselves up as failures. If a society is going to be incredibly arrogant, childish, and passive-aggressive about everything then don't expect respect in return.

If a society is going to be incredibly arrogant, childish, and passive-aggressive about everything then don't expect respect in return.

Yeah, same to you and your mates. And while you are at this, for your own pathetic sake, please do get a mirror and take a look at it.

Edited by ThaiGoon

If a society is going to be incredibly arrogant, childish, and passive-aggressive about everything then don't expect respect in return.

Yeah, same to you and your mates. And while you are at this, please do get a mirror and take a look at it.

Your response is exactly what i'm talking about. It consists of absolutely zero content or discussion and parlays straight into a tit for tat rebuttal. This is your usual Thai response to anything that's even vaguely critical of Thai culture or people. This extends to business, politics, and sports as well with Thai people often conveying an overinflated opinion of themselves that's not at all based in reality.

Edited by wintermute

Your response is exactly what i'm talking about. It consists of absolutely zero content or discussion and parlays straight into a tit for tat rebuttal. This is your usual Thai response to anything that's even vaguely critical of Thai culture or people. This extends to business, politics, and sports as well with Thai people often conveying an overinflated opinion of themselves that's not at all based in reality.

Errr, why would I even bother talking to a pompous know-nothing farang like you? You wouldn't listen to me anyway. Singra-traz (not sure if I got his handle right) has pointed out that there are a number of capable IT personnels in Thailand, and not all Thai people are idiots as you pompous white asses might think, and you didn't even listen. You still harped on your stupid stereotypes of Thai people. So why should I bother with a low-life farang who, for some reason still lives in Thailand but yet always looks down on everything Thai?

Why should I bother explainning to this low-life narrow-minded ignorant farang that I've been educated in the US, attended one of the top US universities and seen my Thai "Roon Pee's" (who majored in Computer Science at CMU, that's Carnegie Mellon University not Chiang Mai Univeristy as you red necked low-life farang might think) done some really terrific computer graphic programs? Why should I bother to point out to this insular pompous farang that, among foreign students in the US, Thailand is tenth in the number of their students in America...and only behind India, China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan among Asian countries (per Institute of International Education, Opendoors 2006 Fast Facts)? And that majority of Thai students in top US universities also graduated with cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude? Why should I when you pompous ass obviously won't listen?

And what have you achieved in your life that made you think that you can ridicule every single Thai the way you've done on here? Seriously what have you accomplished that made you think you are so much better than Thais?

I've seen some really average American students (or really average Americans) in my life, but I'm not stupid and ignorant enough to ridicule anything America does based on my limited personal experiences with her people. I just know that generalization is just extermely stupid....but obviously you don't.

it is no secret that thais don't really have any respect for foreigners. all you need to do is read thaivisa. as I recall, one thai proudly said quote, "we don't need you". another who is an editor for one of your newspaper said quote, "the usa is an imperialistic country." in my experience, thais don't like americans, they just tolerate them.

we put food on the tables of thai people when we built american factories here, and yet, you treat us like invading armies. you steal patented drugs from us like it is your right. but when we complain, you say <deleted>#k you. and then you wonder why we look down on you?

IBM should be in america giving jobs to americans. you say you are so smart? prove it by telling IBM they cannot bring the technology over here. force them back to the USA - WHERE THEY SHOULD BE.

you want to tell all your friends how bad foreigners are? go ahead. I plan to do the same when I get back home.

like you, "we don't need you."

it is no secret that thais don't really have any respect for foreigners. all you need to do is read thaivisa. as I recall, one thai proudly said quote, "we don't need you". another who is an editor for one of your newspaper said quote, "the usa is an imperialistic country." in my experience, thais don't like americans, they just tolerate them.

we put food on the tables of thai people when we built american factories here, and yet, you treat us like invading armies. you steal patented drugs from us like it is your right. but when we complain, you say <deleted>#k you. and then you wonder why we look down on you?

IBM should be in america giving jobs to americans. you say you are so smart? prove it by telling IBM they cannot bring the technology over here. force them back to the USA - WHERE THEY SHOULD BE.

you want to tell all your friends how bad foreigners are? go ahead. I plan to do the same when I get back home.

like you, "we don't need you."

First of all, I never claimed or suggested that we, Thais, are "so smart." I was just saying that we aren't all freaking idiots as some of you have suggested. That's the difference. I hope this time you can comprehend what I said.

And secondly, to say that we don't have any respect for all of you is just way beyond stupid if you ask me. Obviously we respect those who respect us. Why should we respect pompous farangs who are so narrow-minded that they aren't even open to a slight possibility that we, Thais, 65 million of us or so, are not all the same? It's this kind of stupidity ignorance narrow-mindedness in your president that got you fight in Iraq and soon possibly against Iran. And by the way, you earn your respect (in case you don't know this.)

Thirdly, I don't know how many freaking times I've said this. Thailand welcomes foreign investment. We don't treat foreign investors like "invading armies." Go study the FBA, and read a lot as I'm not gonna waste my time enlightening you on it.

Finally, specifically to you nick, I can't wait to see a foreigner liek you eff off from my country really. Yeah we don't need you. But we need those like Plus, Singa-Traz and several others. I hope soon you will have a nice happy American life in Missouri or Texas or Utah or wherever your folks live.