Spurs captain Lloris apologises for drink driving offence

rooster59

Spurs captain Lloris apologises for drink driving offence

800x800 (8).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham - Wembley Stadium, London, Britain - August 18, 2018 Tottenham's Hugo Lloris REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

(Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur and France captain Hugo Lloris has apologised after he was charged for a drink driving offence by British police on Friday.

Lloris, who won the World Cup with France last month, was stopped by police in central London in the early hours of Friday.

"I wish to apologise wholeheartedly to my family, the club, my team-mates, the manager and all of the supporters," the 31-year-old goalkeeper said in a statement.

"Drink driving is completely unacceptable. I take full responsibility for my actions and it is not the example I wish to set."

Lloris has been ordered to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court next month.

"A man has been charged following a routine patrol stop in Gloucester Place, W1," Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

"Hugo Lloris, 31, of East Finchley was charged with drink driving on Friday, 24 August. He has been bailed to return to Westminster Magistrates' Court on Tuesday, 11 September."

Lloris joined Spurs from Olympique Lyonnais in 2012 and has made 254 appearances for the north London club.

Tottenham started the Premier League season with victories against Newcastle United and Fulham this month. They next face Manchester United at Old Trafford on Monday.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-25
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Nobody is perfect and as far as he is concerned it's an unfortunate incident, I do not think it's customary.

The trouble is that driving while drunk is a lottery that can result in someone's serious injury or death, whether it is your first or twentieth time.

Getting drunk is perhaps not an athlete's best preparation for a Premier League match. 

17 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

The trouble is that driving while drunk is a lottery that can result in someone's serious injury or death, whether it is your first or twentieth time.

Getting drunk is perhaps not an athlete's best preparation for a Premier League match. 

Who told you he was "drunk"?

Being hardly over the alcohol law's tolerance does not mean someone is "drunk" at all.

For the law, one is drunk with one beer and a half.

In many countries the amount of alcohol in the blood admitted by the law has changed over the decades to become more severe, it would mean that now people are drunk from a given quantity while a few years before they were not. I do not condone for a second DUI I'm just trying to see things in a balanced way.  Especially as I'm one of the few/rare exceptions ?that do not drink alcohol at all, so I speak in all serenity.:smile: