EU's Barnier says must prepare for a 'no-deal' Brexit

webfact

4 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Is that directed at me? I'm a Brit, and I'm neutral on brexit. I have no need to pretend anything to anyone.

I am, however, surprised at the many people who "contribute" to the brexit "debates" on this forum who are not Brits, but don't want to say where they're from nor why they spend so much time on the brexit topic. 

Yes, it was directed directly at you "neutral brexiter". 

I hope you are aware that Brexit is not only British thing, but it involves also us lesser human beings, the EU citizens?

It's funny that we also have something to say about the matter. Well, most of us doesn't really care enough to write a thought, but some of us do. I'm one of them. Feel lucky that there are still some of us who care enough of English-Wales, to hope that you'd stop the disaster you are heading towards. 

Anyway, it's up to the Brits as well as "Brits", to make the final decision where Britain will head towards. I just hope there is more thought than just stubborn feeling involved. 

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Yes it's up to us Brits, but thanks for your thoughts. 

No I wouldn't say it's funny. It's an important matter as you say. Shame that most of the comments are just so negative.

But seriously, do you personally have any skin in brexit, or is it just a way for you to pass the time on Thai Visa when you're bored?

It's great that you "Brits" participate on discussions.

I like real Brits. I find the Brexit to be highly illogical solution to both internal and externally influenced problems. 

Btw. You still not explained what the quote you were using, meant. Would you, pretty please.

7 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Well people aren't logical machines are they. 

And you haven't said whether you have any skin in the brexit sausage, so it's a kind of academic dialogue really isn't it, like much of the "brexit debate" now.

I can understand Brit remainers letting off steam that their team didn't win, but non-Brits?

I think you know well how non-Brits think.

I'm EU citizen and wish the best for my country. What about you?

Now, will you tell me, what you meant by that quote you were referring? Have you found the answer yet, or do we have to until for 'tomorrow'?

4 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

No I really can't say I know how non-Brits think (or Brits for that matter). There are 6 billion of them, and a few hundred million in Europe. It would be profoundly arrogant or silly of me or anyone to say we know how so many people think.

I would hope people have some originality and uniqueness in their thoughts. And this is one of the sad things about the brexit (and similar) debates. People get entrenched into polarised positions, with no nuance.

"Thus Spake Zarathustra" is a work of philosophy by Friedrich Nietzsche (I'm sure you know this in your first language, I'm not trying to be patronising). I've never read it, but I've always enjoyed the usage of the archaic past tense form of "speak" in the title.

I use this phrase as a personal joke when I think someone is being pretentious, sanctimonious, or making wild generalisations, which I acknowledge you weren't. Pleasure chatting with you. Have a good night.

There are actually 7 billion non-Brits in this world. That makes British people 1% of the world's population. 

Thank you for finally explaining what that quoted sentence means. And no, my language is very much further from German, than English is. Even Swedish is a lot closer to English, Spanish or German, than what I speak natively. 

May I introduce you to Emperor's news clothes by Hans Christian Andersen. It's a children's story my mother read to me while I was a kid. This is how I and we were grown up to see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor's_New_Clothes

It's much better as book / story read by a parent. 

3 minutes ago, bkk_mike said:

English, please.

The Scots and Northern Irish didn't vote for Brexit. (Scotland voted more heavily to remain in the EU than England voted to leave, but England has 10 times the population.)

Scotland voted to remain a member of the United Kingdom, Brexit was a was a UK vote.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vogie said:

Scotland voted to remain a member of the United Kingdom, Brexit was a was a UK vote.

Bernard Jenkin, Tory MP for Harwich and Noth Essex, disagrees with you

"...the last time Ireland [sic] voted, they wanted to be part of the United Kingdom – and the same goes for Scotland, we let them vote in our referendum.”

I must admit that the umbrage I took when our wishes were ignored has made me forget my manners these past couple of years. In an attempt to make amends, should I just say a general thank-you to the whole of England for giving me and my countrymen an opportunity to vote in their referendum? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Bernard Jenkin, Tory MP for Harwich and Noth Essex, disagrees with you

"...the last time Ireland [sic] voted, they wanted to be part of the United Kingdom – and the same goes for Scotland, we let them vote in our referendum.”

I must admit that the umbrage I took when our wishes were ignored has made me forget my manners these past couple of years. In an attempt to make amends, should I just say a general thank-you to the whole of England for giving me and my countrymen an opportunity to vote in their referendum? 

If you hadn't it would have been a stomping victory for LEAVE.

After all these years I would have thought that you would be accustomed to losing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Why would anyone in Scotland care about EU employment law no one works thete,they just live off the rest of us

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And yet there are no depths too low for Westminster to stoop to in order to keep Scotland within the union, and whenever the notion is raised, howls of outrage emanate from sections of the English public who decry us as being traitors, spiteful, anti-english etc. 

If we are such a burden on the English, why is there such a negative reaction to the idea of Scottish independence?

14 hours ago, oilinki said:

I hope you are aware that Brexit is not only British thing, but it involves also us lesser human beings, the EU citizens?

It's funny that we also have something to say about the matter. Well, most of us doesn't really care enough to write a thought, but some of us do. I'm one of them. Feel lucky that there are still some of us who care enough of English-Wales, to hope that you'd stop the disaster you are heading towards. 

Anyway, it's up to the Brits as well as "Brits", to make the final decision where Britain will head towards. I just hope there is more thought than just stubborn feeling involved. 

Cheers!

But I gather you believe the eu will be better off without the uk as a member?

So why keep posting on the various brexit threads?

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Actually no. Brexit is a lose-lose situation. It will make EU weaker for an moment.

We'll just have to make the best of Brexit, the ways we can. Taking business from UK back to the motherland is one of the ways. 

Why not to post when one of our union's member states is about to leave our union?

15 hours ago, oilinki said:

Cheers!

59 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

52 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Actually no. Brexit is a lose-lose situation. It will make EU weaker for an moment.

We'll just have to make the best of Brexit, the ways we can. Taking business from UK back to the motherland is one of the ways. 

Why not to post when one of our union's member states is about to leave our union?

I'm still at a loss as to why you keep posting so vehemently on all brexit threads against brexit?

You're sure that it will only "make EU weaker for an moment" and take" business from UK back to the motherland".

Believing this, why are you so anti-brexit?  And please don't tell me it is because you care about the uk......

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm still at a loss as to why you keep posting so vehemently on all brexit threads against brexit?

You're sure that it will only "make EU weaker for an moment" and take" business from UK back to the motherland".

Believing this, why are you so anti-brexit?  And please don't tell me it is because you care about the uk......

Did you read this message from Rimmer? It's post $38.I've put in boldface the relevant portion:

"A number of baiting/bickering posts have been removed also replies, please discuss the topic not other members."

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I don't see western unity as zero sum game. I put a lot of value to it. 

But if the Brexit really happens, as it seems to happen, then we need to make best out of it. I'd prefer Brexit would be cancelled tomorrow, but realistically it's not going to be cancelled.

25 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Did you read this message from Rimmer? It's post $38.I've put in boldface the relevant portion:

"A number of baiting/bickering posts have been removed also replies, please discuss the topic not other members."

You're quite right, I shouldn't have directed my post towards one member - he was just the first one I came across on entering the thread today (a poster who has been very open and honest in admitting that he's not a brit.).

My question/comment applies equally to all non-brits. that frequently comment on the brexit threads.

Edited by dick dasterdly

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You're quite right, I shouldn't have directed my post towards one member - he was just the first one I came across on entering the thread today (a poster who has been very open and honest in admitting that he's not a brit.).

My question/comment applies equally to all non-brits. that frequently comment on the brexit threads.

And you think that's somehow not covered by the moderator's comment? If you're looking for motives, then it's about the poster and not about the subject.  Whether it's one person in question or a multitude.

And entirely irrelevant to the subject of this thread.