Khantoke Evening

ChangMaiSausage

Can anyone help? I'm trying to find out which is the best place to go for a Khantoke meal (evening)

I think there is more than one place? any recommentations? My parents and friends will be travelling to Chiang Mai next week and I would like to take them out for an evening show and meal.

Thanks for any recomendations.

Dave

Can anyone help? I'm trying to find out which is the best place to go for a Khantoke meal (evening)

I think there is more than one place? any recommentations? My parents and friends will be travelling to Chiang Mai next week and I would like to take them out for an evening show and meal.

Dave

I went to one place about 10 years ago, located on Wulai,near the old chiang mai hospital, and I went to another about 20 years ago, located in a 'palace' on Propoglao rd. Both were very nice, as I recall. I can't recommend either, because they were pretty much the same show..

Dave

There's one a couple hundred meters outside the rear exit of Carrefours parking. My sister and her husband went there last month and they said it was very enjoyable. Cheap too, I believe they said.

Went for the first time last week and suprisingly (to me) I enjoyed it. One I went to is located within 5 minutes walk of Flora Condo. Show started at 20:00 and the bill was a very reasonable 800baht for 4 with drinks. PM if interested and I'll look for the card I have. Certainly recommended but cannot possibly say if its the 'best place' as its the one and only time I have been but will revisit at some stage.

Most are highly touristy affairs, which depending on the occasion and the people you're with may not be a bad thing. I HATED the ChianG mai Cultural Center on Wualai though.

A Kantoke dinner that's NOT the standard tourist-fare buffet (no buffet, you can order from a menu) is off Kaew Nawarat Road, in a sub soi off that soi. :o The place is called Huean Khajao (huan kachao, etc, however they spell it) and is a big traditional teak house that you can also check out, kind of a museum with old Lanna stuff.

I liked that show, and I like it that they don't force tour-bus-cattle-feed on to you. And it's good value for money: No fees other than for the food, which is priced on a similar level to slightly fancier restaurants in Chiang Mai such as The Good View et al.

It's been a while since I was last there though. If anyone's interested I can draw a map. There's a sign from Kaew Nawarat Road too, most visible I think when going INTO town, then it would be a left turn. (Coming from Nakorn Ping bridge it'd be a right turn, then left into the sub soi leading to the restaurant.) Not sure if this rings a bell with anyone but it's the same soi where the Japanese restaurant with the un-Japanese name used to be in that condo there. (May still be there, I don't know)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

Most are highly touristy affairs, which depending on the occasion and the people you're with may not be a bad thing. I HATED the ChianG mai Cultural Center on Wualai though.

A Kantoke dinner that's NOT the standard tourist-fare buffet (no buffet, you can order from a menu) is off Kaew Nawarat Road, in a sub soi off that soi. :o The place is called Huean Khajao (huan kachao, etc, however they spell it) and is a big traditional teak house that you can also check out, kind of a museum with old Lanna stuff.

I liked that show, and I like it that they don't force tour-bus-cattle-feed on to you. And it's good value for money: No fees other than for the food, which is priced on a similar level to slightly fancier restaurants in Chiang Mai such as The Good View et al.

It's been a while since I was last there though. If anyone's interested I can draw a map. There's a sign from Kaew Nawarat Road too, most visible I think when going INTO town, then it would be a left turn. (Coming from Nakorn Ping bridge it'd be a right turn, then left into the sub soi leading to the restaurant.) Not sure if this rings a bell with anyone but it's the same soi where the Japanese restaurant with the un-Japanese name used to be in that condo there. (May still be there, I don't know)

This is the place I was referring to and there were 2 Thai's in our party and they thoroughly enjoyed it. Option of sitting on the floor or at a table. Telephone number is 053 262 905.

Do you know if this place also holds weddings? It sounds very much like the place that we will be having the wedding party in on the 24th Feb, museum upstairs, seating outside as well as inside.

The only one I visited was Cultural centre it was okay but I did not rate the food.

Thanks for the info

Do you know if this place also holds weddings? It sounds very much like the place that we will be having the wedding party in on the 24th Feb, museum upstairs, seating outside as well as inside.

The only one I visited was Cultural centre it was okay but I did not rate the food.

Thanks for the info

Certainly didn't see any inside seating but I posted the phone number so give them a call. Layout is sitting on the floor at the front area with a single row of tables towards the rear, all outdoors. Food we had was from the menu and excellent in taste and value terms.

Thanks for the info

Certainly didn't see any inside seating but I posted the phone number so give them a call. Layout is sitting on the floor at the front area with a single row of tables towards the rear, all outdoors. Food we had was from the menu and excellent in taste and value terms.

Yeah that's the same place we have booked a party there on the 24th Feb for fifty people they provide meal, wedding ceromony, pictures, dvd etc...

The venue is really nice and yes the car is part of the package apparently they drive it through Chiang Mai (only the groom) the only downside of the reception is they close at eleven oclock (5-11) suppose it will be drinks at the Riverside afterwards.

I hope it all goes well.... so do I it's my parents first time in Thailand.

Cheers

The venue is really nice and yes the car is part of the package apparently they drive it through Chiang Mai (only the groom) the only downside of the reception is they close at eleven oclock (5-11) suppose it will be drinks at the Riverside afterwards.

I hope it all goes well.... so do I it's my parents first time in Thailand.

Cheers

thats good choice for a reception CMS. do let us know should there be any guests who cancel their reservations :o

I'll post a full report after the event it was very resonable price wise (i thought) they provide the following (PM for actual cost if interested)

Full dress for the bride (if required) groom, best man and bride's maid + ladies make-up

Ceremony in the museum upstairs with monk

Old open top car for groom (I think its a Morris 50 convertable)

Food for 50 people (including tables and chairs) for the older westerners (choice of menu)

DVD and fifty pictures of the whole day + one large picture

Live entertaiment

Soft drinks

Wedding invitations

I imagine there is several places around CM that do a Lanna style wedding package, has anyone ever attend one?

TIGER - The way things are going at the moment I'll need extra seating there are sixteen friends and family travelling out from the UK between 19/22nd Feb, every day someone else asks about coming. :o:D

• 2 years later...

I found this topic last week and managed to find Hean Kha Jao off Keaw Nawarat Road. It's actually located on soi 3/3. It was really nice evening. The guys told me it's not a Kantoke, because they don't bring you dishes on kantoke small round tables, and you have choice of high or low big standart table. But Khun Kantoke has exactly the same according to their website's gallery.

So, Hean Ka Jao has a menu with dishes 60-120 baht, sometimes up to 200. Drinks - non-alchohol - 30-40 baht. Show consists of 13 numbers with beautiful female dancers that looked to be pleased to perform, not bored to death like in Old Cultural Center. Show lasts for 1hour and half, starts at 8 pm.

You cannot even compare prices of this place and standart kantoke places. We had plenty of food, lots of drinks and still didn't get even close to the money we would spend in Old Cultural Center.

Also, they have a small museum on 2nd floor, you can look around it after the show.

About the food: it was good. The dishes for 60 baht are small, but you cannot blame them. We ordered vegetarian dishes as well, and guys were very careful in taking the order and asking for full details, offered us interesting dishes with meat and seafood substitutes, very good choice.

Edited by Agenda