Client sues SCB over account hack

snoop1130

1 hour ago, shaurene said:

I have been with SCB 12 yrs and never had a problem. Only problem they has is not to have an English speaking attendant in each branch.

Ever time I use my bank and ATM I ALL WAYS GET A TEXT INFORMING ME IT HAS BEEN USED, TYE TIME AND DATE. It asked you to notify then if it was not you.

WOW " No English speaking attendant at each branch"....LOL 

Do Banks in your own country have Thai speaking attendents at each branch ? 

You do realise English is not an offical language in Thailand, and out of its 

Many hundreds of thousands of SCB customers how many even need English

• Like 1

Hmmm, does the bank owe her a duty of care? Possibly. My neighbour, an elderly gentleman, was almost scammed out of £75,000 over 2 days. The first was for £5,000 with 2 cold callers saying he needed a new roof and the bank intervened as it was an unusual amount and called the police. The next day he received a bogus phone call from an alleged DCI at Scotland Yard running a secret undercover operation to catch the scammers, who wanted him to purchase two £35,000 watches to use as bait. This time the shop intervened and called the police who returned him home. I have since cancelled his debit card and changed his phone number. Scammers are an evil scourge that operate in all countries and will take the last penny off anyone, even the elderly and those who are in no position to protect themselves. For some reason I can't believe that a gold shop in Thailand would have the ethical values of a jewellery shop in UK however it should be reasonable to expect a bank to afford some protection to their customers so although I don't think she will be successful in her claim against the bank (we should hope that she is), it may draw customers attention to the fact that Thai banks could do more.

Once wife got caught up in a scam. Locked herself in the room 

because the person said she can’t let anyone know what she’s talking about....

The scammers saying they were police and trying to catch someone and involved her bank account. When she opened

the she tells me be her. Ended up told her if their police tell 

them come here and discuss.

same thing happened to her sister a few days prior and her husband told her the same. 

If not they’d (wife’s) be emptying the account thinking the family was in danger.....

Now here is a thing. I have an SCB bank account and every time I make a transaction be it online or at an ATM I get both an email and sms notification instantly on my phone? And my six digit code is required and my is location identified? I don't think the SCB can do any more to protect its customers? As much as it pains me to say. 

As an aside and this is from one of the purportedly largest banks in the world, the pin for the tCITI cardholders app is NOT case
Sensitive. Upper or lower case, it doesn’t matter as long as you enter the right digits. Unbelievable but true. Wrote to CITI Thailand about it but unsurprisingly never received a reply. My previous call to them was a perfect example of Thai ineptitude. Operator had no idea what I was talking anout

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 11/16/2018 at 8:06 AM, Orac said:

I can assure you it does. Have  you installed the SCB Easy app?

"1. Registration
- Download SCB Easy app via App Store (IOS) or Play Store (Android).
- After completing download, open the app, and you will see the tutorial page.
- Select the language (English and Thai).
- Enter your ATM number or credit card number.
Note:
If you enter the ATM number, you are required to enter your PIN ATM.
If you enter the credit card number, you are required to enter your credit limit."

Yes, the older version of the app didn't need this, it's an updated version of it in recent months (on my old phone the older app version still works). I went into the branch to register the app, in this case they just needed passport and bank book. 

There is always room for improvement in any Financial system - out of character spending or withdrawals should raise a flag and initiate a follow up to the account holder not just a phone call.

Was the bank negligent - can't be sure based on the information provided.

Was she naive can't be sure again - maybe she has 20+million with other banks who knows.