Anyone Live In The Ari Area...

dantilley

Hi,

Was awoken at about 6:45 this morning by an absolutely deafening noise, like a bomb going off. It almost certainly wasn't a bomb though, because, apart from dozens of dogs barking, there was no other commotion out in the street or other general panic that usually accompanies such an event.

What did happen though was that all electricity in my condo, and presumably the surrounding area, went off for a few hours. So we had no air-con or fans this morning, not good!

Anyone know what this was?

I don't live in Ari, but it happens all the time in Bangkok. It's the electric "boxes" where the power cables converge outside condos, offices etc. someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject will know what they are called, capacitors, transformers... something like that.

Strangely, I was stood on the balcony in my office only yesterday and I actually saw one blow up followed by a huge plume of smoke and no power for 20 mins.

My last condo in Soi Soon Vijai was particularly vunerable to this. I think it happened about 15 times during my 2 year stay there.

Edited by ashacat

Hi,

Was awoken at about 6:45 this morning by an absolutely deafening noise, like a bomb going off. It almost certainly wasn't a bomb though, because, apart from dozens of dogs barking, there was no other commotion out in the street or other general panic that usually accompanies such an event.

What did happen though was that all electricity in my condo, and presumably the surrounding area, went off for a few hours. So we had no air-con or fans this morning, not good!

I have a house on Soi 5 (Soi Rachakhru). I was up at 630 and didnt hear anything either

A security guard has said it was due to a chipmunk biting through the wires - I find this unlikely though as the bang really was very loud. However not being an expert on such things I guess it could be...

It's possible Dan as we've lost power at our place before when squirrels have gobbled the wires and there's lots of squirrels around.

A security guard has said it was due to a chipmunk biting through the wires - I find this unlikely though as the bang really was very loud. However not being an expert on such things I guess it could be...

I dunno.I have heard a transformer short out and it sounded like a canon going off.

The one opposite our flat blew up a couple of years ago. Spectacular flash and the loudest bang you can imagine. I was out in the garden at the time and my ears were ringing for hours. The guard told me a cat had got in the box - oddly enough it never came out :o

Hi,

I have a house on Soi 5 (Soi Rachakhru). I was up at 630 and didnt hear anything either

This was in Ari Samphan by the way. Anyway, looks like the chipmunk explanation was indeed correct...

Hi,

This was in Ari Samphan by the way. Anyway, looks like the chipmunk explanation was indeed correct...

I know where you mean, my house is just around the corner!!

Sounds to me as though you are either at Phasuk Place or Novel Place?

A snake shorted out a box on Suk 11 one day.

Loud bang.

I've seen a snake short out a box too... At a hotel in Phuket- just below my balcony. Extremely loud explosion- when I looked afterward, the snake was barbecued to a crisp.