Designers To Check Safety At Passenger Terminal

george

Designers to check safety at passenger terminal

Comes in aftermath of the Paris tragedy

BANGKOK: -- Airport designers will review the safety of the passenger terminal at Suvarnabhumi airport after a similar terminal at France's Charles de Gaulle airport collapsed this week.

New Bangkok International Airport Co (NBIA) acting head Gen Somchai Somprasong said the new airport's concourses were similar to the one in Paris which collapsed on Sunday.

Despite assurances from designers and builders, the board wanted thorough checks to be conducted to ensure safety.

The concourses of Suvarnabhumi and Charles de Gaulle were tube-like and designed for glass roofs and walls.

Suvarnabhumi's design belongs to the Murphy Jahn/TAMS/ACT consortium but the French design was the work of another firm which lost out in the Suvarnabhumi bidding contest.

The new Bangkok airport is due to open in September next year.

Government spokesman Jakrapob Penkair said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra would hold a mobile cabinet meeting at the site one weekend soon to demonstrate the progress made in the airport's construction.

Mr Thaksin was worried about delays in the construction of a new train terminal in Makkasan to connect the airport to Bangkok's city centre.

The bidding process for the Makkasan project has not yet begun.

--The Post 2004-05-26

So they bloody well should too....there was talk some time ago, of a problem with the roof design..........'that it was too heavy for the structure'. Does this sound familiar.......

Hear Hear.

Has anyone heard of certified structural welders, construction Q&A, destructive analysis methodology, or for that matter, anything even remotely related to assuring construction quality in Thailand?

(This is a serious question. Having seen people blasting away with an AC spark box using non-structurally certified welding rod on support columns and the like, I am really curious.)

Has anyone heard of certified structural welders, construction Q&A, destructive analysis methodology, or for that matter, anything even remotely related to assuring construction quality in Thailand?

From time to time I am involved with the gas pipeline industry here in Thailand. All of the welders are certified to ASME standards and all of the welds are NDT inspected. As far as I know most of the companies have QA/QC systems in place. On the larger projects the clients constulant is normally an international compnay.

I would imagine that at the new airport that all of the welds are done by certified welders and are NDT inspected. I would bet that if there was a structual failure it would be due to the design and not the welding.